Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Broberg at 4 million is better than Ceci, Broberg is always injury prone so his salary will probably go into LTIR during the season anyways.

Based on what? There's no evidence for this and that says nothing about Cody Ceci who pretty much straight up sucks.

The projections for Broberg in this thread are built around hopes and prayers.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
The reality of pro sports / hockey is playing for the big bucks.
The dream of pro sports is winning the championship.
Players likely want to get the $$$ locked up first ….this is their life’s work and it involves risks (injuries, etc)….before considering the trade offs to win a championship.
So while I don’t like the OS situation, I’m totally understanding of the players’ position.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No one is turning down a job offering them 4 million for another job that's only offering them maybe 1.1 million, especially when Broberg hasn't made any big ticket money in his life yet and was riding an AHL bus just a few months ago.

Can't blame the guy for signing that, that's a life altering amount of money.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This

Let both walk. Not needle movers. Don't went then here either after guys took discounts.

On another note, I can't wait to watch ceci nurse get green jackets this year
I agree . Players want to be in Edmonton and at almost 7 million for these two players we can add a much more impactful D for that price

Reactions: MessierII

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
So I think we have an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick to play with and it appears, cap space... theoretical cap space if we had to pay Holloway 2.3M and Broberg 4.6M.

Hey, my username is one of the players poached from our team yet I'm not all that concerned with this turn of events. Let it go.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I personally think Broberg will be a really good D, his situation here was so perfect for a breakout and then he would’ve made bank.

The 9 mil on this contract might be his only money he makes, the Blues won’t boost his stats like the oilers.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I agree . Players want to be in Edmonton and at almost 7 million for these two players we can add a much more impactful D for that price
Yeah, but the problem is, we could have all summer - and we won't. We could have used assets i.e. Broberg + to move the likes of Ceci who is literally declining faster than Lucic did during his short tenure with us. But no, and now here we are.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Can't blame the players in this situation at all.

And you can't blame the Blues either. It's all in the game. Oilers should have figured their shit out. There were reports out 2 months ago that a bunch of GM's thought Broberg was a great target. A second round pick and 4m contract for a guy you think can be a top 4 defenseman for a long time? It's a no brainer for a team that has cap room, imo.

And.. you know.. this team offer sheeted both Penner and Vanek. Thankfully I haven't seen many in the fanbase upset at the blues.

f3724624-2575-4dc8-a8c3-f937d76b5f67_text.gif

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Of course he's not worth that much. But the Oilers are in a cap crunch right now and can't hammer out an extension that satisfies both sides. The Nurse and Campbell contracts are weighing heavily on our cap. We're going to lose him for next to nothing and it really sucks.
We're going to lose the player to a deal that, hopefully, would be a hard pass on in the first place.

This is the ugly side of the business, but any attempts to somehow blame Oiler management for not signing Broberg to $4.5M dollars per year after 8-10 reasonably decent games just screams a huge lack of objectivity of the actual situation.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
With what cap space?
Logically, if JJ and Bowman knew that these two were playing hardball with their agents, why wouldn't we have tried to maximize the return for them and package them up with an aging declining Ceci or steady eddy Kulak for an upgrade? There's the cap space. Its head scratching, really.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We're going to lose the player to a deal that, hopefully, would be a hard pass on in the first place.

This is the ugly side of the business, to any attempts to somehow blame Oiler management for not signing Broberg to $4.5M dollars per year after 8-10 reasonably decent games just screams a huge lack of objectivity of the actual situation.
I'm not saying sign Broberg to that deal. I'm saying that because we are cap crunched we are currently unable to hammer out a much better extension that is affordable and satisfies the player.

Fact of the matter is that regardless of how anyone feels about Holloway and Broberg, we are a worse team without them.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Just a low key reminder exaclty why Ken Holland and his cap mismanagement were not renewed.

Oh lovely, we got another gm with similar Seth Jones credentials.

Reactions: WEMCHUD

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
I know everyone is saying broberg hasn't shown much except for his little stint in the finals. To be fair it seemed like he would always slot in on his off hand side whenever he would get rare chances to play for the oilers. Seems like he looks a lot better when he's playing on the left side. Also, let's not forget that when he was paired with our $9.25 mill dollar man in the finals, he clearly looked like the veteran d man on that pairing. But ya that cap hit is pretty tough to swallow.

I'd prefer keeping him over Holloway if we have to let one walk due to the fact we have savoie, and d depth has always been an issue for the oilers. I can see the arguments the other way though, or to let them both walk.

Tough call either way imo.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Based on what? There's no evidence for this and that says nothing about Cody Ceci who pretty much straight up sucks.

The projections for Broberg in this thread are built around hopes and prayers.
Ceci is 30 years old while one was is 23 playing the same minutes in the conference finals and SCF.

Ceci got moved to bottom pairing for Broberg... we need young talent. This screws everything up.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
No one is turning down a job offering them 4 million for another job that's only offering them maybe 1.1 million, especially when Broberg hasn't made any big ticket money in his life yet and was riding an AHL bus just a few months ago.

Can't blame the guy for signing that, that's a life altering amount of money.
Just wait until someone else offer Bouchard life altering money.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Just a low key reminder exaclty why Ken Holland and his cap mismanagement were not renewed.

Oh lovely, we got another gm with similar Seth Jones credentials.

You’re a little late today, the rabble has already been well roused

Reactions: capazzo

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I'm not saying sign Broberg to that deal. I'm saying that because we are cap crunched we are currently unable to hammer out a much better extension that is affordable and satisfies the player.

Fact of the matter is that regardless of how anyone feels about Holloway and Broberg, we are a worse team without them.
You believe that Broberg was going to take a significantly lower contract just to be an Oiler?

I don't think you're grasping just how much of an overpayment this deal actually is.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
At the amount for either of those players I would take the pick. I like them both but it was mostly about being a cheap rfa

Holloway hasn't proven he is better long term than Jesse pul.

Broberg looks good but it was all about the cheap cap hit. We can't afford the risk of either player. And at almost five mill there are a lot of established and proven men that are signed longer term for deals in that range.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
The real question is did Armstrong give the Oilers brass the heads up that he was going to do this? If not, when are we prepping the barn for the barn fight?
Good question. I suspect that JJ/ Bowman were in the know. In fact, the delay in signings was likely the players’ agents were working deals and let JJ know at that time. Armstrong probably confirmed his involvement as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad