Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The opportunity to learn from the best players on arguably best team in the league versus playing a few more minutes on a team with no direction?
This assumes that Broberg even makes the team. Doesn't matter if your team wins the Cup if your name isn't on it.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Holloway annoys me a lot, understand the position you are in with major contender, you are a key low cost piece that can help a team win a cup, he would eventually get paid, the offer sheet isn’t even that much.

The Calgary in Dylan finally came out :)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is the furthest thing from bowmans fault. Lolol i wasn't a fan of his hire one hit, but we can't start blaming him every timec something doesn't go right. This is strictly in Jackson but every one will throw bowman under the bus
Is what it is.....

It's Holland's fault

2 mill overpay on Nurse
3.25 mill dead cap this year on Brown
1.3 mill dead cap Campbell buy out
1.9 mill dead cap Neal buyout

Too much bad cap management during Holland's tenure. I can understand having some dead/wasted cap but almost 10 million is ridiculously bad management. We should have at least 5-6 million more in cap space, if we did, both would've been signed in July for a fraction of this cost (1.5-1.75 mill per probably).

Reactions: MessierII

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
This is the furthest thing from bowmans fault. Lolol i wasn't a fan of his hire one bit, but we can't start blaming him every time something doesn't go right. This is strictly on Jackson but every one will throw bowman under the bus
Is what it is.....
That poster has been blaming Bowman for this. Sorry for the not clear post. I was saying to him that you keep blaming Bowman but you don't even want the player.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd match the offer sheet then trade both of them next summer. This really puts a wrench in the teams plans for next season and could effect us winning a cup this year.

They don’t have value at inflated contracts unless you really believe either guy will break out. They might or they might not.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
People directing any hostility towards the players are totally misguided imo. I think any regular NHL player knows personally, or has played with enough people to understand that at the stage of your career that Holloway and Broberg are at, your next season could be the year you blow up, or the year something goes wrong and you never get another contract offer close to the the offer sheets they've recieved.

Also the term for them would be about as appealing as it gets. Just enough time to establish themselves and sign a nice 8 year deal in their primes somewhere and be set for life.

As much as veterans, or surefire younger NHL players may take less to win, it's irrisponsible for anyone still in the process of establishing themselves as a regular NHLer to take such a risk. They have so much more to lose. I don't think anyone reasonable in the lockerroom would hold any grudges towards these guys for taking the safest play for their futures.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's Holland's fault

2 mill overpay on Nurse
1.3 mill dead cap Campbell buy
1.9 mill Neal buyout

Too much bad cap management during Holland's tenure, we should have 5-6 million more in cap space, if we did, both would've been signed a month for a fraction of this cost (1.5-1.75 mill per probably).
The Neal buyout was essential. That goes back to the Lucic deal, and we had to trade Lucic. The rest falls to Kenny though. For sure.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
This is the furthest thing from bowmans fault. Lolol i wasn't a fan of his hire one bit, but we can't start blaming him every time something doesn't go right. This is strictly on Jackson but every one will throw bowman under the bus
Is what it is.....
I heard it Holland’s fault.

Or was it Klowe, or MacT or Tambo…I forget.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That isn't enough though. I don't think they will, or should, trade Ceci to sign Broberg to that deal. But they would also have to let Holloway walk in order to make it work, even if they trade Ceci. This is why there is the double offer: the Blues know that the Oilers can't keep both without REALLY screwing up their roster.

My opinion is that although both players are good, and young, that our cup window is the next 2 years, and the replacement level players we can get instead of them aren't a big enough of a drop off to warrant signing them to overpayments.

If we don't win a cup in the next 2 years, we aren't going to in the long run either, which is where we would expect these players to be difference makers (if they get there). You let them walk and carry on.

It sounds like Kane is going to LTIR so if they move Ceci they are under the cap.

I do not think the Holloway contract is that much of an overpay if at all.

The play here is for Broberg. You match, trade Nurse in the summer next year so you can sign Bouchard and to help cover off Draisaitl.

Reactions: ManOfSteelI

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kenny is gone, time to move on. Jackson and Bowman can solve this by moving on from the players and using the assets on a proven player. Anyways, the point is, these guys will be seen as villains in a locker room taking pay cuts to win and by a fickle fanbase (and one a lot less “nuanced” than our “braintrust” here).

Ironic that fans are getting so upset about two guys that many here thought were more or less wastes of picks by Kenny and co.

It's hard to move on when the Nurse and Campbell contracts are crutches for the team and will be for a long time.

My point is to not shit on Holland necessarily although it sounds like that in my postings but to say that blame towards current Oilers management and these two players is misguided.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
All I have to say is f*** Holloway for signing this. Broberg I get, that contract is far too good to turn down. If we lose Broberg and return with Nurse, Ceci and Kulak that is a major fail by management.

That is 200% what is going to happen though. They aren't trading Kulak as he is a solid playoff performer and isn't expensive, and they can't trade Nurse. Ceci might end up getting moved at some point, but likely just plays out his contract and isn't resigned next offseason.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Neal buyout was essential. That goes back to the Lucic deal, and we had to trade Lucic. The rest falls to Kenny though. For sure.

A little buy out penalty is one thing, 10 million almost combined with the Nurse overpay is a ridiculous amount of wasted cap, almost no other contender has that kind of handicap that Holland left.

You got to manage your cap better than that.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Why do I even watch this sport anymore. Crosby was basically gifted cups because he was on an American team. This is just one big conspiracy to screw over Edmonton so we have to trade Mcdavid and Draisaitl to the Americans.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
People directing any hostility towards the players are totally misguided imo. I think any regular NHL player knows personally, or has played with enough people to understand that at the stage of your career that Holloway and Broberg are at, your next season could be the year you blow up, or the year something goes wrong and you never get another contract offer close to the the offer sheets they've recieved.

Also the term for them would be about as appealing as it gets. Just enough time to establish themselves and sign a nice 8 year deal in their primes somewhere and be set for life.

As much as veterans, or surefire younger NHL players may take less to win, it's irrisponsible for anyone still in the process of establishing themselves as a regular NHLer to take such a risk. They have so much more to lose. I don't think anyone reasonable in the lockerroom would hold any grudges towards these guys for taking the safest play for their futures.

Especially Broberg. How much do we think the Oilers were offering? 2x2? People expecting a guy who doesn't even have a guaranteed NHL career ahead of him to leave 5+ million dollars on the table just because the Oilers are good are out of their minds.

Players like Skinner and Henrique can do that because they've had long careers and already got theirs.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
It's Holland's fault

2 mill overpay on Nurse
1.3 mill dead cap Campbell buy out
1.9 mill Neal buyout

Too much bad cap management during Holland's tenure, we should have 5-6 million more in cap space, if we did, both would've been signed in July for a fraction of this cost (1.5-1.75 mill per probably).
This doesn’t add up. The oilers could’ve signed those contracts at 1.5, I’m sure that’s what was on the table even. The players didn’t take it and shopped around. They wanted money and wanted out, the contracts you quote are only an issue if you want to sign these two at 6.7 combined, and would anyone have wanted that 6 hours ago?

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It's hard to move on when the Nurse and Campbell contracts are crutches for the team and will be for a long time.

My point is to not shit on Holland necessarily but to say that blame towards current Oilers management and these two players is misguided.

Again, don’t blame these players for going for the bag, but they knew they would get paid later and need to take team friendly deals (like the UFAs) to stay. They made their choices and would not be looked at the same in the lockerroom if they somehow return.

Reactions: McDoused

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This assumes that Broberg even makes the team. Doesn't matter if your team wins the Cup if your name isn't on it.
I was talking about Holloway.

If you are talking about Broberg, Did he not play in the finals? You know your name will go on the cup if you play in the finals?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wonder how the Oilers players' chat works for the next few days? Hey guys, congrats on getting paid... we're going to kick you out for a week and go from there.

I think you underestimate just how much the players understand that its a business first, and how happy they are for their friends making huge money. I've never once held anything against a fellow employee going to another company for a better deal, and they weren't leaving for millions more. NHL players are no different.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sort of confused why Army made this move, especially given the amount of defensemen we signed this offseason plus players we had before free agency. To my knowledge, I don't know if Armstrong had ever in his career offer-sheeted a player, let alone two. The only time I remember him being part of one was when Backes was offer-sheeted by the Canucks, but that was over a decade ago.

I understand the move strategically, but in like a moral/karma sense I don't personally like it. It's not like the Oilers are going to forget we offer-sheeted two of their players, but hey, we didn't really do anything to Vancouver. Whether or not they both come to St Louis, I hope they do well. Idk man, sorry guys

Steve Bernier was offer-sheeted and it was a spite move for the Backes offer sheet.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Guy. It’s just Holloway and Broberg.

Savoie has an opening now and he can’t be much worse than Holloway was.

Broberg doesn’t move a needle. Broberg showed nothing for 3 seasons had a few good games in the playoffs and got a massive raise. Let him ride that 4.5 mil and be happy he isn’t earning it here.

We lost nothing of consequence.
This

Let both walk. Not needle movers. Don't went then here either after guys took discounts.

On another note, I can't wait to watch ceci nurse get green jackets this year

Reactions: Wretched Oil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad