Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
There’s almost zero chance that Holloway will be worth that contract here. He’s pretty much locked into the bottom six with no PP time unless injuries happen. I would be amazed if he gets 30 points here.
Disagree. Injuries happen. A lot of our guys ahead of him are older and Injury prone and he can play center or wing. Lots of opportunity to move up in the lineup over the next two years.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Disagree. Injuries happen. A lot of our guys ahead of him are older and Injury prone and he can play center or wing. Lots of opportunity to move up in the lineup over the next two years.
We’ll need a lot of injuries for him to get the grazy PP1 minutes. Kane, Arvidsson, Skinner and Henrique would be ahead of him.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
There’s no scenario where it’s smart to pay 7 million dollars to keep Holloway and Broberg. It just doesn’t work.

The offer sheet as a whole ends up being more complicated than fans like to admit. The blues waited for the perfect time to do this. It screws us in the short term because we cant:

1. Go out and get free agents to replace Broberg/Holloway.
2. We cant trade either player for a year
3. The compensation (2nd and 3rd round picks) make it hard to find replacements at that cost.
4. It's hard to pull off a trade in 7 days.
5. Under a salary cap guys need to get shipped out for them to stay.

It also screws us in the long term because:

1. We already have an older team.
2. The second year on the deal means that we're not just committed if we sign them but they will get an increase the following year.
3. We have two big contracts coming up that are a priority.
4. We have to wait until next year to get good free agents.

I agree that both guys will struggle to live up those contracts. I also think it sends the wrong message to guys who just took discounts.

Personally, I think it depends on how risk adverse you are. In theory both guys could break out. However, I think it's more likely that they fail to live up to those numbers. IMO it's easier to find replacements or even upgrades than moving on from those contracts if they struggle. The reward just doesn't justify the risk IMO.

I'd rather just bite the bullet and downgrade from Broberg and Holloway to a 2nd and 3rd round pick. We've consistently seen good players acquired at the deadline for those prices. It's not worth the potential 7M in anchors.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Go and talk to Bruins fans. His game fell hard in the 2nd half of the season and he is said to be sllllllloooooooowww.

Yeah, even with Holloway not in the picture, I think there are too many mouths to feed up front to add another offence first/only player. If you're going an older vet to toss on the 4th line to replace Holloway (and Kane) I'd have more time for Matt Martin.

It's the same issue I have with targeting Barrie or Jultz. They're only useful if you can drown them in PP time, and that won't be the case with Bouchard here. Give me a solid 2-way guy like Lindstrom before those two.

Reactions: ujju2

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
So reflecting more and more on this and I think the move they need to make is match Brobeeg and let Holloway go. I know that seems opposite but many in the Oil Exec believe Brobeeg to be a top pair dmen potential and is slated to replace Ekholm in 2 yeara. It is impossible to get top 4 dmen without paying an arm and a leg. Brobeeg was a man among boys in the AHL this year and his points showed it to. He played over 30 minutes one game and said he could have played more. He is a beast.

Will miss Holloways size and speed in the lineup but they have so many fwds signed this year nit sure how much he will play in top 6 or even top 9. If he is in the bottom 6 he will not get the chance to put up the minutes he needs whi h could be taken by Janmark or even Lavoie or Savoie. Savoie does not have his size though which would be missed in the playoffs but maybe at the trade deadline they can get some size for bottom 6. Really too bad they signed Perry.

It will be easier to replace Holloway in UFA market next year than Broberg.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240817_224149_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240817_224149_Samsung Internet.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Kolja

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
For the “trade everyone to keep Broberg” crowd - how do you think Broberg does walking into camp on day 1 after the Oilers had to trade well liked veterans Ceci and Kulak, LTIR Kane to make room for his contract while asking the franchise and star players to take pay cuts. Oh and he already told the team back in December that he wanted a trade.

Enjoy the Lou Broberg. May your career be unflavoured ice malk……now with vitamin R….
I think it's too much of a gamble for a cap-strapped contending team, but, honestly, I have no idea what they will do. Same with Holloway. IMHO, it's unlikely they keep both.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
99.99999% of the people get the fact that the Oilers have very little options when it comes to what they do.

Match and keep the players
Let them walk

The other .00001 are still convinced that the Oilers can match and trade them right away or try to negotiate a new contract.

Offer sheets and what teems can do is straight forward

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
There’s almost zero chance that Holloway will be worth that contract here. He’s pretty much locked into the bottom six with no PP time unless injuries happen. I would be amazed if he gets 30 points here.
Holloway is only 2.25 million? Theres some 4th liners that make that salary or even more. Silly to say hes no chance to be worth it. Its not that much money.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I was never that big on Broberg... and now to keep him you basically have to bet BIG on him for 2 years with that poison pill contract... plus moving out others to make room for him.

He could turn out as a decent dman but you now have lost the "wait and see option" and instead are paying up big in the HOPE that he'll turn out as a top 4 dman... and have to hope you won't have a disgruntled poison environment in the dressing room as well when the team goes through the shakeup of having players shuffled out and the fact that this player who really hasn't shown anything yet is making 2nd pairing money going forward.

If they keep him... certainly a lot of pressure on Broberg to live up to this contract or else the team has a clear new whipping boy for the next 2 years.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The offer sheet as a whole ends up being more complicated than fans like to admit. The blues waited for the perfect time to do this. It screws us in the short term because we cant:

1. Go out and get free agents to replace Broberg/Holloway.
2. We cant trade either player for a year
3. The compensation (2nd and 3rd round picks) make it hard to find replacements at that cost.
4. It's hard to pull off a trade in 7 days.
5. Under a salary cap guys need to get shipped out for them to stay.

It also screws us in the long term because:

1. We already have an older team.
2. The second year on the deal means that we're not just committed if we sign them but they will get an increase the following year.
3. We have two big contracts coming up that are a priority.
4. We have to wait until next year to get good free agents.

I agree that both guys will struggle to live up those contracts. I also think it sends the wrong message to guys who just took discounts.

Personally, I think it depends on how risk adverse you are. In theory both guys could break out. However, I think it's more likely that they fail to live up to those numbers. IMO it's easier to find replacements or even upgrades than moving on from those contracts if they struggle. The reward just doesn't justify the risk IMO.

I'd rather just bite the bullet and downgrade from Broberg and Holloway to a 2nd and 3rd round pick. We've consistently seen good players acquired at the deadline for those prices. It's not worth the potential 7M in anchors.
Mods might as well sticky this post except for the bolded. We have three big contracts coming up that need to take priority. Two that should be taken care of immediately because two of the players are eligible to be extended right now.

Draisaitl now and McDavid next season, but the genuinely astute move is to get Bouchard on a maximum term deal right now. We undoubtedly need to clear cap but why create that cap space for second tier players?

Make sure we have the sufficient runway to land Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard on maximum deals or none of this will matter. Lose one and the Stanley Cup aspirations likely vanish.

If we have to bite the bullet with the aim of clearing cap space, to become and remain salary cap compliant, there is no other option but to face the music, but make sure Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard are the priorities. Then fill out the roster around Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard.

It hurts to lose Broberg and Holloway but if the team could actually draft we could replace both with one good draft. If the organization could develop players more competently we would be able to produce middle tier player replacements.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
You're right, 100%. If we want ro keep Broberg though, it's the only way. Keep in mind, I voted to let both go. We can't afford to overpay both, and with Holloway playing bottom 6 minutes, is he worth 2.3?
You are assuming he's playing bottom 6. Maybe he outplays Ardvidson. Didn't he out play him in the playoffs? Also with Kane out we need his physical play. Wasn't Holloway top in hits in the playoffs for us?

There’s no scenario where it’s smart to pay 7 million dollars to keep Holloway and Broberg. It just doesn’t work.
Holloway was better than Foegele when he was healthy. Foegele was paid more by us and even more by LA than Holloway would be getting.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Mods might as well sticky this post except for the bolded. We have three big contracts coming up that need to take priority. Two that should be taken care of immediately because two of the players are eligible to be extended right now.

Draisaitl now and McDavid next season, but the genuinely astute move is to get Bouchard on a maximum term deal right now. We undoubtedly need to clear cap but why create that cap space for second tier players?

Make sure we have the sufficient runway to land Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard on maximum deals or none of this will matter. Lose one and the Stanley Cup aspirations likely vanish.

If we have to bite the bullet with the aim of clearing cap space, to become and remain salary cap compliant, there is no other option but to face the music, but make sure Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard are the priorities. Then fill out the roster around Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard.

It hurts to lose Broberg and Holloway but if the team could actually draft we could replace both with one good draft. If the organization could develop players more competently we would be able to produce middle tier player replacements.

I don’t disagree, but the problem with this is timing mismatch. We don’t have kids coming up to replace them (maybe Savoie or Akey next year?) and contenders need that.

They were meant to be those guys and that’s what screws us most here.

To me the signing brings us right back to one fundamental question.

WHO IS OUR 2RD??? There are three options, each of which has consequences.

A: Ceci. I don’t think anyone has this as an answer, but if you keep Ceci both Holloway and Broberg are gone and you pretty much run it back and bank on Kane’s health. This is not very creative, but it is safe.

B: Broberg. If you bet on youth, well you gotta do it big… two of Kane, Kulak and Ceci have to go… and it might as well be Kane and Ceci since then you can afford BOTH Broberg and Holloway. In this scenario all the pressure is on Broberg since there is only a little space left for the deadline… not enough to replace him at 2RD (and he can’t be traded).

C) Anyone other than Ceci. I think most of us are here… there are two ways to do this. 1) Trade Kane, sign Holloway and accrue >$7M for the deadline, since you are ~2.5M under the cap. Or 2) keep Kane and trade Ceci now . This means you will have about $4M in deadline cap space if you keep Holloway.

If you let Holloway go in either c-1 or c-2 you have even more cap space for a Ceci replacement.

So I think that’s where we end up… either Kane is gone and we limp to the deadline with Ceci as 2RD or Kane stays and Ceci goes… which could put the playoffs in jeopardy.

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
If the reports are true about us having to add picks or prospects to move Ceci and Kulak, I'd let both walk. It's not worth giving up all of that for a maybe. We have enough forwards, and we have enough RD signed that we should be able to get by until the trade deadline. Then add, since we'd probably have some money.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I was never that big on Broberg... and now to keep him you basically have to bet BIG on him for 2 years with that poison pill contract... plus moving out others to make room for him.

He could turn out as a decent dman but you now have lost the "wait and see option" and instead are paying up big in the HOPE that he'll turn out as a top 4 dman... and have to hope you won't have a disgruntled poison environment in the dressing room as well when the team goes through the shakeup of having players shuffled out and the fact that this player who really hasn't shown anything yet is making 2nd pairing money going forward.

If they keep him... certainly a lot of pressure on Broberg to live up to this contract or else the team has a clear new whipping boy for the next 2 years.
He should have been getting decent NHL minutes last season, maybe even the season before. We excessively slow played his career for an 8th overall pick. Bouchard was already getting top 4 minutes and top unit PP time at the same point in his career. We would have had a better understanding of the player he could become and probably not be in this situation. Now we have to gamble on a small sample size.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If the reports are true about us having to add picks or prospects to move Ceci and Kulak, I'd let both walk. It's not worth giving up all of that for a maybe. We have enough forwards, and we have enough RD signed that we should be able to get by until the trade deadline. Then add, since we'd probably have some money.
If they value Broberg a lot and sign him there’s always the option of waiving players before the season. GMs might be trying to hardball us right now but as training camp happens and players get injured other GMs will get desperate and make a trade for need. If that doesn’t happen you put whoever doesn’t make the cut for too 6 on waivers. Guaranteed a team will claim Kulak or Ceci.

Reactions: aspin3

bolobow

May 3, 2006
We'd have to give up Ceci and Kulak, whatever sweeteners are required to move them, plus the compensatory picks from St Louis, just to keep a couple poison pill contracts. Loss aversion sucks, but another way to look at this is whether we would trade:

Ceci + Kulak + picks/prospects to move them + 2025 2nd + 2025 3rd​
for​
Broberg @ 4.6Mx2 + Holloway @ 2.2Mx2​

It's gambling our current roster and long term future for a expensive depth that we hope will break out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad