Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Mcdavid is going to be 28 going into this years playoffs. I’d like to believe we have 4-6 years left of being contenders if the team is managed properly and part of that is keeping good young players like Broberg, Savoie, Bouchard and Holloway etc to keep the contending window open longer.

Moving Kulak to keep Broberg should be a no brainer. He’s a 3rd pairing player on the decline. Look at the 3rd pairing of recent contenders and Cup winners. Dallas had Petrovic, Florida had Kulikov etc. No team in a cap world is stacked on all 6 D positions. Ekholm probably has 2 elite years left, who knows if Nurse will get better. We need a good young LD to play in our top 4 soon.
Paying Broberg 4.5 mill when we have Draisaitls and Bouchards contracts coming up is not managing a team properly.
You keep good young cheap youth. Broberg is young, expensive and the jury is still out on if he is even good.
And it’s not just moving Kulak. You would have to move Kulak AND Ceci. Which hurts the entire roster and without Kane missing lie double the time he should, it’s the only option. Ceci, Kulak out and Broberg in makes the team worse full stop.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Except he isn’t? By no metric is Broberg a better player than Kulak and spending almost double Kulaks salary to “upgrade” on the bottom pair is some decade of darkness level stupidity.

Barrie has fallen off a cliff ability wise and we don’t need a PP QB. If he was remotely close to a good NhL player still he would be signed.

Yes we need to upgrade on Ceci but using every ounce of cap on Broberg and requiring Kane to be on LTiR for the entire season in hopes to upgrade on Ceci AND hoping our diminished dcore can survive long enough to put us in a good playoff spot is an absolute mad amount of risk hoping Broberg can be more than a slightly better Kulak.
Kane doesn't need to go on LTIR for the season in my scenario. He can play on the roster opening night if he is ready to go.

Agree to disagree on Broberg. You're biased against the player and have been from day one.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Match broberg get rid of kulak and or ceci go sign Shultz and sign jvr to a cheap one year deal.
Why sign Schultz? Sounds counter productive... add a bad player and profit kind of deal? I don't see how Schultz makes any type of sense. We have a defenseman who can run a power play better than he can.

Why not trade for a good player now? Spend our assets in the present.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Imagine we make it to the trade deadline as the top team in the league. We’re leading the league by a good margin in GF and around 8th in GA. Jeff Skinner is injured for about 15 games and Savoie comes in and plays at a near PPG pace.

Florida is having a Cup hangover and out of the playoff picture but is willing to trade us Ekbkad at 50% but we need to move a player to make it work in the deal. We end up trading Skinner to STL who is on the bubble of making the last wild card spot but miss the playoffs on the last day of the season. Skinners record streak of no playoffs continues.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Why sign Schultz? Sounds counter productive... add a bad player and profit kind of deal? I don't see how Schultz makes any type of sense. We have a defenseman who can run a power play better than he can.

Cause we don’t have the cap. If we keep Broberg that’s it.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

Cause hell be cheap and a decent option for a bottom pairing role. We dont need him on the top unit but a second unit consisting of henrique skinner arvidsson shultz and perry would easily be the second best pp unit this team has had in three decades.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Match Broberg
Let Holloway go
Trade Ceci and Kulak with no cap back (hopefully with minimal assets out)
Sign Barrie 1x1M

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane/Savoie/Lavoie*-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Perry

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Barrie
Broberg-Stecher
Brown

Skinner
Pickard

*Savoie gets an opportunity to get a taste for the league while Kane gets healthy. Once Kane is healthy, depending how Savoie is performing he can either go down to the AHL or you can waive Perry, Ryan or J. Brown. If Savoie doesn't impress out of camp than you give the spot to Lavoie. If Kane is healthy out of camp than the team will still work cap wise.

Tyson Barrie and Nurse played ~1100 minutes together across 3 seasons as a top 4 pair and had pretty good results. He's good enough to cover for the time being.

This feels like the only way to make it work with matching Broberg imo.

If you let Broberg go and match Holloway than you only need to deal one of Kulak or Ceci.

Matching both just doesn't seem feasible without counting on Kane being out for the entire year.
Why are we adding Barrie? If we're making trades why not make a good one? Get a good player and straighten up our cap predicament now. I don't care if it takes a bunch of picks and magic beans.

I expect something that fixes our cap and brings in a good player will cost 2 first round picks. Stop pushing our challenges down the road anticipating something that won't be there.

Take the initiative immediately. Sign Draisaitl long term. Sign Bouchard long term. Make a trade that costs futures but will improve the team over that same time frame.

It will cost big but being so close you have to make your move or it's a pantomime of winning.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Imagine we make it to the trade deadline as the top team in the league. We’re leading the league by a good margin in GF and around 8th in GA. Jeff Skinner is injured for about 15 games and Savoie comes in and plays at a near PPG pace.

Florida is having a Cup hangover and out of the playoff picture but is willing to trade us Ekbkad at 50% but we need to move a player to make it work in the deal. We end up trading Skinner to STL who is on the bubble of making the last wild card spot but miss the playoffs on the last day of the season. Skinners record streak of no playoffs continues.
What was the point of this?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Cause hell be cheap and a decent option for a bottom pairing role. We dont need him on the top unit but a second unit consisting of henrique skinner arvidsson shultz and perry would easily be the second best pp unit this team has had in three decades.
No, he'll suck and make the team worse. You already know this.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So we should invite bad players to camp to improve the hockey team?

Why not make a trade and un-set the roster so we can make the team better?

What's wrong with trades? Why not make a good one? We don't have to wait until the deadline.
Because there are two teams in trade and at the end of a summer teams are more attached to their players and less likely to make them available.

This isn't a new concept.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Cause we don’t have the cap. If we keep Broberg that’s it.
We will have to buy cap one way or another and it will cost us many draft picks. If we want to win during the McDrai window do you want to go all in now or wait until they are 35 and 36 years old.

They are in their prime now. If you don't go all in now why would they even consider extensions. Why wouldn't they want to go to a team that is willing to spend their assets so they can cement their legacies with a bunch of Stanley Cup rings.

Yeah a guy who had a good year two seasons ago and a good playoffs is guaranteed to make the team worse.
Fine. You can pretend there's room on the power play for Barrie. I won't argue.

Edit: Did you say Schultz? I can't keep up. What's the f***ing difference? They are bad one dimensional players who can't help the Oilers win championships.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I’m not talking about just moving Kulak. Replacing Kulak and Ceci with Broberg and Stecher/Barrie is a large downgrade and uses all our possible cap unless Kane is gone for the entire season.

Okay? Teams see a high upside, like teams have never been wrong before? It happens all the time. St Louis has cap space to use cause they aren’t a playoff team or a contender. So they are overpaying to guarentee they get him in hopes they are right.

Paying him 4.5 mill to play on the 3rd line cause he might eventually replace Nurse is a terrible use of cap in the situation we are in.
I'm just talking about moving Kulak at this point. I agree that moving both would leave the Oilers in a precarious situation. Which is why you need to let Holloway go.

I don't think you're in a bad situation with Broberg over Kulak this year. We already know about the long-term reasoning. Moving forward Broberg is a guy who should be getting more responsibility. Kulak's role diminished last season.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I'm not some Ceci fan, but my hate is mainly based on the Nurse-Ceci pairing and that Ceci is overmatched as a top 4 guy. I think he's proven over his time here and in PIT that he's serviceable as a bottom pair guy. If they can get a legit top 4 RHD to partner with Nurse, I'd have no problems with Kulak-Ceci as a third pair, aside from their combined cap hit being too high.

It is largely the position, but saying he is overmatched at top 4 and proven bottom 6 largely does not add up.

He has been in the league 10 years. His TOI in those years have been decidedly as a second pairing player:

Year 1 - 3rd TOI
Year 2-5 2nd TOI
Year 6 1st TOI
Year 7 3rd TOI, although took over the 2nd spot from Marino 2/3 of the way thru the season and playoffs.
Year 8-9 1st TOI
Year 10 2nd TOI

That all said, I'm not a fan of labelling D men too much of a 1st/2nd/3rd pairing, especially the first two. Its very common to have an offensively aligned pairing and a defensively aligned pairing (3rd pairing usually plugs the gaps). Any particular game if a role has to be overplayed to usual (i.e. PK or PP) one player or the other may get more minutes.

I prefer to key in on the role Ceci plays. An upgrade on him is only an upgrade if that player can kill penalties, play the defensive end and contribute without being an offensive producer. Is Ceci overmatched? Yes. And every player with those type of minutes is overmatched. Parayako advanced stats look even worse. Its not that he is a worse player, he just plays really tough minutes. Larrson advanced stats look really terrible for two years, better last year when his deployment was eased.

Its the salary cap era. Your team is going to always have a weak spot you'd like to upgrade. Every team in the league has that. If people think there is a notably better defensive player/PKer at RHD available at a good price, good luck finding said player ....

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Why are we adding Barrie? If we're making trades why not make a good one? Get a good player and straighten up our cap predicament now. I don't care if it takes a bunch of picks and magic beans.

I expect something that fixes our cap and brings in a good player will cost 2 first round picks. Stop pushing our challenges down the road anticipating something that won't be there.

Take the initiative immediately. Sign Draisaitl long term. Sign Bouchard long term. Make a trade that costs futures but will improve the team over that same time frame.

It will cost big but being so close you have to make your move or it's a pantomime of winning.
If a good deal to improve your backend is available than obviously make it. But there aren't a lot of teams looking to trade away good players at this point.

This is an option to get to the deadline when teams are willing to trade away players.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We will have to buy cap one way or another and it will cost us many draft picks. If we want to win during the McDrai window do you want to go all in now or wait until they are 35 and 36 years old.

They are in their prime now. If you don't go all in now why would they even consider extensions. Why wouldn't they want to go to a team that is willing to spend their assets so they can cement their legacies with a bunch of Stanley Cup rings.

Fine. You can pretend there's room on the power play for Barrie. I won't argue.

Edit: Did you say Schultz? I can't keep up. What's the f***ing difference? They are bad one dimensional players who can't help the Oilers win championships.
“Buy cap”. It’ll take moving Ceci and Kulak just to keep Broberg. Who else are we moving to “buy cap”

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Match broberg get rid of kulak and or ceci go sign Shultz and sign jvr to a cheap one year deal.
I like everything except the sign JVR part. I heard that he fell off a cliff last season. IMO Schultz is better than he was when we last saw hi here. Guy has 2 rings and a bunch of years of NHL experience to back that up.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I like everything except the sign JVR part. I heard that he fell off a cliff last season. IMO Schultz is better than he was when we last saw hi here. Guy has 2 rings and a bunch of years of NHL experience to back that up.
JVR is the forward.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Will all come down to how Jackson and Bowman, Knoblauch and Coffey perceive Broberg's upside and ability to deliver important minutes now. There is a prospective succession path in two years at which time an age 36 Ekholm and age 25 Broberg transition minutes and responsibilities which further helps extend Ekholm's career. A $45 million+ career earner might be a future value contract while still delivering managed ice-time and leadership.

Of course that means a Kulak move out to clear 3LD tilting their salary to left side. Ceci moved for a deadline rental. There's prospective cheap entry RD options likely 3 years away with Akey and Wanner. An Ekholm Akey/Wanner third pairing would give a solid on-ice mentorship for which ever prospectively wins the job.

I like Holloway a fair bit as an important young, physical skill guy on an old team. He's the cheap match if Oilers even opt to retain either of them. But finding mid roster wingers is the most plentiful and cheap NHL asset to find and acquire. This team's strength is forward firepower and best A prospect is a skill pro winger who's close to NHL ready. And a B prospect Lavoie, a top 10 AHL goal scorer could test drive. There's cover here.

Holloway might be the bite size fallback here. But I personally think the organizational prioritization is around whether or if Broberg can deliver on a lost value contract that's now $1 million above the average salary of NHL d-man.

One. Two. None. Big decision pending. We wait...

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If a good deal to improve your backend is available than obviously make it. But there aren't a lot of teams looking to trade away good players at this point.

This is an option to get to the deadline when teams are willing to trade away players.
All teams have some good players that could deepen the Oilers roster. Identify them and start making these teams significant offers to make everything work. Incorporate 3 team scenarios for double retention.

Do it now. Entice Draisaitl and Bouchard to sign right now. Let them see the vision right now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
All teams have some good players that could deepen the Oilers roster. Identify them and start making these teams significant offers.
You do realize we have a salary cap right? Who in your scenario are we moving out to make room for those good players if Ceci and Kulak alone have to move just to keep your boy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad