Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
There’s zero chance you can upgrade at #2RD if you match Broberg.

You’ll be capped out with no depth.

Not really. Even if we went LTIR for Kane, and don’t accrue capspace, it’s not a big ask for 50% retention at the deadline. And if they took back Ceci, that means you can add any player who makes less than 6.5 million. And if you do double retention, you can add any dman in the league. It just means you’re limiting yourself to a pure rental right before the deadline. And if you run into a snag like last year where the only real upgrade on RD was Tanev who the Flames refused to trade to us, you’re screwed.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not really. Even if we went LTIR for Kane, and don’t accrue capspace, it’s not a big ask for 50% retention at the deadline. And if they took back Ceci, that means you can add any player who makes less than 6.5 million. And if you do double retention, you can add any dman in the league. It just means you’re limiting yourself to a pure rental right before the deadline. And if you run into a snag like last year where the only real upgrade on RD was Tanev who the Flames refused to trade to us, you’re screwed.
Ceci will be gone this week if you match Broberg. They need to clear so much cap even with Kane on LTIR to add just Broberg.

They’ll have a 20 man roster with no accrued space meaning the most you can add is a $3.5-4M player with double retention. You aren’t getting much with that.

Reactions: McBooya42

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Injuries will happen during the season that will create some cap room at the deadline. The deadline move could also be a player going out and a player coming back with double retention. There's always a way if the team is willing to pay the price and get creative.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Injuries will happen during the season that will create some cap room at the deadline. The deadline move could also be a player going out and a player coming back with double retention. There's always a way if the team is willing to pay the price and get creative.
Injuries don’t create cap space unless it’s a Mark Stone LTIR until the playoffs situation.

And like I said above, the Oilers won’t have any tradeable salary by the deadline because it’ll all be gone just to fit Broberg this week. You’d be replacing a league minimum player with a $3.5M at double retention.

The playoff roster is basically set the second you match Broberg.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I wanted to keep Holloway and let Broberg walk earlier but now I think you have to keep both. The compensation is awful for both of them. Some trades need to happen now and a big middle finger to St.Louis.

Reactions: ujju2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If we match Broberg, that leaves us with 1.3M for a RHD if both Kulak and Ceci get shipped out and Kane doesn’t go on LTIR and we go with the accrued cap route. 1.3M + accrued cap at the deadline for an upgrade on the right side
You aren't getting much of an upgrade for $1.3M + accrued cap unless you spend a lot of other assets. Plus with injuries during the year you won't have $1.3M accruing for long.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Injuries don’t create cap space unless it’s a Mark Stone LTIR until the playoffs situation.

And like I said above, the Oilers won’t have any tradeable salary by the deadline because it’ll all be gone just to fit Broberg this week. You’d be replacing a league minimum player with a $3.5M at double retention.

The playoff roster is basically set the second you match Broberg.
You never know who will be on LTIR around the deadline. There's also trading Ceci+ for an upgrade, maybe Skinner or Arvidsson won't work out. Moving out Kulak to fit in Broberg is just a better move for the long term and might be better by this years playoffs. In the worst case you move Broberg next summer if he doesn't seem that he's going to worth the contract.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You never know who will be on LTIR around the deadline. There's also trading Ceci+ for an upgrade, maybe Skinner or Arvidsson won't work out. Moving out Kulak to fit in Broberg is just a better move for the long term and might be better by this years playoffs. In the worst case you move Broberg next summer if he doesn't seem that he's going to worth the contract.
This is true. If you can make the cap work you can always match then trade both Broberg and Holloway, or only one of them, after one season for a higher return than the respective 2nd and 3rd round compensation, as long as they both have great seasons. Or pick one player or the other as you please. Awkwardly stated but you get the gist.

With superstar players at the ready to give these guys a boost on the scoresheet, more than they would likely see in St. Louis... both these players should remain happy for one season and retain value. They were mercenary in their tactics. Turnabout is fair play.

Moving cap out in the present; move out Kulak and Ceci along with a first, probably more than a first, to get an upgrade with retention. Possibly two upgrades if you can believe that is possible.

What’s done?
His dick fell off now he truly is Friedman the dickless insider.

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I suppose they match the cheapest sheet to save some face.

That duchebag Blues Gm isnt capable of making his own good deals, so he went for a highway robbery instead.

But it open up for other Gm s to take a stab at other teams Rfas in a detailed way.

You can also scouting for .unhappy rfa players true agents especially in top teams. Even with the purpose to make them overpay.

Think if its a deliberate plan between Blues and some contending teams + Dubas who helped the Blues to get back their own 2nd. Perhaps Oilers looked to strong with their additions, and they try to make it harder for the Oilers. We will se if some strange friendy deals occurs in the future.

Im not much för conspiration theorys, but this double attack smells strange.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stelmacki

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I'm not some Ceci fan, but my hate is mainly based on the Nurse-Ceci pairing and that Ceci is overmatched as a top 4 guy. I think he's proven over his time here and in PIT that he's serviceable as a bottom pair guy. If they can get a legit top 4 RHD to partner with Nurse, I'd have no problems with Kulak-Ceci as a third pair, aside from their combined cap hit being too high.

Ceci is currently better than Broberg.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I suppose they match the cheapest sweet to save some face.

That duchebag Blues Gm isnt capable of making his own good deals, so he went for a highway robbery instead.

But it open up for other Gm s to take a stab at other teams Rfas in a detailed way.

You can also scouting for .unhappy rfa players true agents especially in top teams. Even with the purpose to make them overpay.

Think if its a deliberate plan between Blues and some contending teams + Dubas who helped the Blues to get back their own 2nd. Perhaps Oilers looked to strong with their additions, and they try to make it harder for the Oilers. We will se if some strange friendy deals occurs in the future.

Im not much för conspiration theorys, but this double attack smells strange.
If that's what it takes to get this organization's management moving to get this club where it needs to be, so be it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I may be in the minority here with our take on Broberg, but nice to hear that Lawton sees it from my POV, great GM or not
There are a whole load of interchangeable (ultimately unimportant) depth players who are making the money that could go to Broberg, who has realistic potential to be a core piece as this season, and is easily movable even if it doesn't pan out this year

It sucks about the cap but there is no cap in the playoffs so we're talking about enduring pain during a period that's not the focus

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
I believe we are all torn between want we want as fans and what we think the Oilers should do. They are 2 different things.

I think the Oilers let them both walk.

The 1.2 and 1.8 apparently offered to both of them is 3 even, the Oilers were banking on that cap hit. They now open up 3 million for someone else, plus a 2nd and 3rd.

Signing Broberg and DH for absolute top dollar while on the hand convincing McDrai and Bouch to take a little off the top to help isn't the right message. We also were fortunate enough to sign a few players for less than what they could have got elsewhere....also not a great look if we match.

If we signed Broberg last week for 3 mil x 2....most of us would've lost our minds. Yet some of you are convincing yourselves that we need to match at 50% more. Let him go!, he didn't want to play here a few months ago anyways.

DH seems like a nice kid and has skills we need but there are others DHs out there.

The Oilers made a mistake by not dealing with the players sooner.....don't compound that mistake....just move on.

Reactions: Barrsy

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Peope are way too high on Kulak here. He can’t play top 4 on a consistent basis and is making to much to be on the 3rd pairing and is at the age where he doesn’t have the potential to improve much. At least with Broberg he still has top pairing potential and should be better than Kulak by the end of this season.

Then everyone shits on Ceci but he’s one of our best PK Dmen and has shown that he can play in the second pairing but with some inconsistency. We’re also hurting for RD and he’s our second best option behind Bouchard.

The plan should be match the Broberg deal, trade Kulak and then upgrade RD at the trade deadline to push Ceci to the bottom pairing for the playoffs.
Kulak makes too much on the 3rd pairing, but Broby at almost 2 million more per year is ok? Kulak isn't supposed to be top 4. He's our 3rd pairing LHD behind Ek and Nurse at 2.75...

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Yeah that's my opinion. The base question I have is Broberg at 4.6 better than someone like Fabbro at 2.5, who you could easily acquire for a 2nd or less? I lean towards no.

I don't mind starting off with Stecher as a placeholder, plus bringing in someone like Lindstrom for some more internal competition (here's the thread from the Ducks board on him. Mostly all positive reviews). Then just keep an ear to the grapevine to see if a cheap RHD shakes loose during the year. Fabbro being my favourite option.

The Oil have been stuck trying to force square and triangle pegs into round holes when it comes to Nurse's partner for the last few years, primarily because all they had were square and triangle pegs. This is finally their chance to swap out a square peg for a better fit.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Kulak makes too much on the 3rd pairing, but Broby at almost 2 million more per year is ok? Kulak isn't supposed to be top 4. He's our 3rd pairing LHD behind Ek and Nurse at 2.75...
He’ll potentially be our top pairing LD in a few years, something Kulak doesn’t have the skill to be. If the Oilers locked him up earlier it wouldn’t have come to this but you don’t let a top prospect that you’ve spent 5 years developing go for a 2nd to keep a player like Kulak or Ceci.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
He’ll potentially be our top pairing LD in a few years, something Kulak doesn’t have the skill to be. If the Oilers locked him up earlier it wouldn’t have come to this but you don’t let a top prospect that you’ve spent 5 years developing go for a 2nd to keep a player like Kulak or Ceci.
Ah the magic word “potentially”. That’s a risky bet at 4.6M.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kane would have to be onside but it could be possible t have him LTIR'd for the season if they delayed the surgery until the middle to end of December. His current situation would probably justify LTIR if they said they "wanted to give him longer to heal". Would Kane agree? Would the League bite?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad