Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
At the age of 27 I see Philip Broberg being the equivalent percentage of the cap in today's market at 4.58M... expand that number into a likewise percentage of the cap many years down the road.
I actually see a decent path for Broberg to be our #1 Dman in that time, or that for the Blues I suppose. Nurse will be 34. Ekholm 38. Bouchard more of a PP merchant with Broberg having more even strength time. They will probably be a pairing at some point

Broberg's ceiling is definitely there. Imo this season was supposed to be the one where we got a truer glimpse of his ceiling. Imo the cost is clearly worth it to try. It would be more worthwhile to get this in house developed player entering his prime rather than chasing players exiting their primes and praying they will be as good as Ekholm

Reactions: nally

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
One thing we need to take into account re Broberg is that he requested a trade a few months ago as he was unhappy with his role here. It’s pretty darn risky to match a high offer sheet on a player who previously wanted out. It isn’t out of the realm of possibility that he would request a trade next summer.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
How many times... how many different ways do I have to explain that I think Broberg is a good player now and he's only going to get better? The price tag is wrong. The price tag on his next contract will also be wrong. The St. Louis Blues screwed the Edmonton Oilers. Matching the contract only increases the damage.
If he pans out his next contract will be 8 years and for more than 5 million

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Trading 2 better players is fine?
Ceci and kulak are miles ahead of Broberg currently. People saying we just trade them to put Broberg are forgetting we’d have to replace them in addition to playing Broberg. Broberg is the worse player currently. That may not be the case in 2-3 years. But right now it is.

Ceci needs to be upgraded regardless of what happens with Broberg IMO.
We can’t upgrade on ceci if we trade him to match Broberg. Because we’d be trading ceci as a cap dump and wouldn’t get a roster player back

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Oilers did not believe a team would offer sheet him is my guess. They guessed wrong
My guess is Jackson knew there was a good possibility Broberg could be offersheeted in that cap range. What he likely didn’t expect is that both of his rfa’s would sign an OS with the same team on the same day over a month after they’ve been eligible to negotiate with other teams, making themselves complicit in a scheme to maximize the pain for the Oilers and minimize their options.

It’s very puzzling for Holloway in particular because unlike Broberg it’s not really “an offer he can’t refuse”. He made himself the lynchpin in this whole scheme because if he signs a fair deal with Edmonton for a 22 year old with 18pts in 90 games then STL plan goes to shit because the Oilers would be far more likely to match a 4.6 offer on Broberg and cover it with Kane LTIR or a Ceci trade and some roster shuffling so the Blues would of had to go up into the best compensation bracket to make it harder to match and that likely wouldn’t of been worth the picks at that point.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
My guess is Jackson knew there was a good possibility Broberg could be offersheeted in that cap range. What he likely didn’t expect is that both of his rfa’s would sign an OS with the same team on the same day over a month after they’ve been eligible to negotiate with other teams, making themselves complicit in a scheme to maximize the pain for the Oilers and minimize their options.

It’s very puzzling for Holloway in particular because unlike Broberg it’s not really “an offer he can’t refuse”. He made himself the lynchpin in this whole scheme because if he signs a fair deal with Edmonton for a 22 year old with 18pts in 90 games then STL plan goes to shit because the Oilers would be far more likely to match a 4.6 offer on Broberg and cover it with Kane LTIR or a Ceci trade and some roster shuffling so the Blues would of had to go up into the best compensation bracket to make it harder to match and that likely wouldn’t of been worth the picks at that point.
I think Jackson knew as well. However I don’t think they knew the offer sheet was going to be that high. It’s an irrational price for the player and what he’s shown. No playoff team would pay that price.

The blues were an irrational actor in this sense as the contact makes no sense and no rational actor would have signed it. It’s a posion pill contract. The offer for 2 years shows the blues have no faith in the player but the length and term are untenable to the oilers. The blues lose nothing by paying him because they be competing during the time frame of the contract.

It sucks because it took the cost controlled nature of the players out of our hands and the cost control was thier main benefit to us. Which makes it an easy walk from me

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It seems that throughout the league players that asked for a trade get dealt eventually, usually sooner than later.

As far matching offers, it has more to do with where the team is in their "window". Edmonton is very much in a win now window.

The current core is good for another 4yrs+ at least and during that time there will be other unsigned RFA's and UFA's. Indeed some younger UFA's might prefer coming to play with McDavid and Dras.

Players like Luke Schenn were thought to be washed up 5+ years ago but had a resurgence and ended up with 2 cups and are still playing. Just a solid defender, not much offence.

And cap space is worth a lot more than just a number

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Really good arguments for keeping or letting these players go. It's a tough call in my eyes, but either way, it can work.

I don't see Perry being of use
I don't see Ceci handling top 4
I don't see Kane helping us as he is paid too much, with his aging body (love his game thou). Wish him the best.

I see youth and speed helping the core win the cup. Organic growth inproves us.

We are old and slow, in a lot of ways.

Broberg is a great talent that has more strength and confidence at his maturing age. This was clear. He is ready for a spot, even if it's 3rd pairing.

So retool a bit, with letting the aging players go, and keeping youth, to go with the core.

It just sucks, that the right side D, is the need.

We will have a hard time winning, with Ceci in our top 4, and guys like Perry.

I guess if Broberg plays 3rd pair, it does boost the other 1/2 pair, as you spread minutes better.

Retool your team with the cards your delt. A bigger shuffle then we had planned for, but the logistics dictate that we rethink a lot of things.

We definatly need to inprove the defence, or smaller chance for glory.

Broberg is similar at his age to Chara, Pronger, and many other good defenceman before they matured. Having said that, he could fall flat too.

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ceci needs to be upgraded regardless of what happens with Broberg IMO.
No. That's not the issue as I see it.

Not placing Ceci on the 3rd pairing and pk is the mistake. Limited minutes without exception. Never deviate from the third pairing role. His minutes should remain constant as a third pairing defenseman. Not 20 minutes. Don't tire the player out so he is constantly playing catch up to recuperate his body.

You'll have more than an adequate player on the third pairing if you don't tire him out. The strategy the Oilers have used on defense is a major fail. Year after year. They just don't get it. Like they are planning to break down their players over the course of the regular season and the increased rigours of the playoffs.

In my opinion Broberg isn't ready for second pairing. Partnering him with Nurse is rinsing and repeating. Constantly playing a player a slot above where he belongs. Set up to fail.

The teams with great defenses don't have 6 great defensemen that are equal and all interchangeable. They have the proper depth. The players are all playing appropriate roles for their club.

If the Oilers continue this cycle they will never have a top notch defense.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
There must be Dmen out there just on the cusp of making their team that the Oilers can snag via waivers.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Potential is worth something too. The Blues seem to think so

For a team already in a bad cap situation who can to win a cup this year or next, potential is worth a lot less to pay for than a team with a lot of salary cap space who do not plan to compete for the next two years.

Keeping Broberg at that price lowers the odds of a cup this year and likely next. I'm not willing to do that.

Reactions: Blueswin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If we match Broberg, both Kulak and Ceci go for an upgrade on the right side.

But I could see us not matching both kids at all

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I don't get that, I'd rather get the 2nd than a lesser return from San Jose and "f***ing the Blues over". What does f***ing the Blues over do for the Edmonton Oilers if the other trade is a lesser return?
Where did you get that I’d do it for a lesser return? I’m not that petty - I care about the Oilers first, but if you’re getting a comparable offer then f*** the Blues

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If we match Broberg, both Kulak and Ceci go for an upgrade on the right side.

But I could see us not matching both kids at all
I the end you have to build the most competitive team possible with players in the correct positions. If you can't accomplish this you aren't a true contender.

You can match both but only if you move other assets out and have other teams retaining on players to fill the remaining holes that need improvement.

Spending a combined 6.87M on a third liner and a debatable #4/5/6 defenseman probably isn't the best strategy to meet the end goal. This when you are hard pressed against the cap ceiling on a team expected to win it all.

You could do it but it's a puzzle and the more poor moves you make the more difficult the puzzle becomes.

Overspending on one position means you need to find value on another position and so on. You have to get more players that play above their cap hits if you are paying younger players based off of their potential.

Reactions: brentashton

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If you match Broberg, he is the upgrade. Or at least he has to be, unless you are 100% sure that Kane is LTIR'd for the entire year.
If we match Broberg, that leaves us with 1.3M for a RHD if both Kulak and Ceci get shipped out and Kane doesn’t go on LTIR and we go with the accrued cap route. 1.3M + accrued cap at the deadline for an upgrade on the right side

Reactions: The Nuge

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I love this narrative that we jerked Broberg around. He was incredibly soft and timid in any chance he was given and he never looked ready until this playoff run.

I have no problem saying goodbye to Broberg. If he thinks he should be handed a spot on this team he can happily f*** off to St Louis.

Demanded a trade, signed an offer sheet and has never really said anything positive about the team or city so adios. Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out the door.
I kind of feel like he’s the first guy we did it right with to be honest.

Reactions: nally

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For a team already in a bad cap situation who can to win a cup this year or next, potential is worth a lot less to pay for than a team with a lot of salary cap space who do not plan to compete for the next two years.

Keeping Broberg at that price lowers the odds of a cup this year and likely next. I'm not willing to do that.
If we just max our cup odds for this year, we damage our cup odds overall. Having more kicks at the can is how you truly max your odds or else one bad luck injury can wreck the whole thing

Plus there is a decent chance that Broberg is a win-now option. Dmen like Ceci and Kulak sometimes fall off quickly at their age. Dmen like Broberg can catch fire and hit their potential quickly

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Peope are way too high on Kulak here. He can’t play top 4 on a consistent basis and is making to much to be on the 3rd pairing and is at the age where he doesn’t have the potential to improve much. At least with Broberg he still has top pairing potential and should be better than Kulak by the end of this season.

Then everyone shits on Ceci but he’s one of our best PK Dmen and has shown that he can play in the second pairing but with some inconsistency. We’re also hurting for RD and he’s our second best option behind Bouchard.

The plan should be match the Broberg deal, trade Kulak and then upgrade RD at the trade deadline to push Ceci to the bottom pairing for the playoffs.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Peope are way too high on Kulak here. He can’t play top 4 on a consistent basis and is making to much to be on the 3rd pairing and is at the age where he doesn’t have the potential to improve much. At least with Broberg he still has top pairing potential and should be better than Kulak by the end of this season.

Then everyone shits on Ceci but he’s one of our best PK Dmen and has shown that he can play in the second pairing but with some inconsistency. We’re also hurting for RD and he’s our second best option behind Bouchard.

The plan should be match the Broberg deal, trade Kulak and then upgrade RD at the trade deadline to push Ceci to the bottom pairing for the playoffs.
There’s zero chance you can upgrade at #2RD if you match Broberg.

You’ll be capped out with no depth.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If we match Broberg, that leaves us with 1.3M for a RHD if both Kulak and Ceci get shipped out and Kane doesn’t go on LTIR and we go with the accrued cap route. 1.3M + accrued cap at the deadline for an upgrade on the right side

That was kind of my thought as well. We’d kind of need a LD back in one of the deals though.

Up to the deadline
Ekholm - Bouch
Nurse - Broberg
Cheap bottom pairing dman - Brown/Stecher

After the deadline
Ekholm - Bouch
Nurse - Trade
Broberg - Brown/Stecher
Cheap bottom pairing dman

The biggest issue with Ceci vs Kulak is handedness.

Our left shot dmen are

Ekholm/Nurse/Broberg/Kulak

Our right shot dmen are

Bouch/Ceci/Brown/Stecher/Carrick

If you move Kulak, and play Broberg in the top 4, you end up with a right shot dman playing his offside on the bottom pairing. If you move Ceci, Brown takes his place on the PK. In a vacuum, I take Ceci over Kulak, but with our shortage of depth of left shot dmen, I’d take Kulak if you can make it work to only move one. Kulak is also a beast in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00