Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If the reports are true about us having to add picks or prospects to move Ceci and Kulak, I'd let both walk. It's not worth giving up all of that for a maybe. We have enough forwards, and we have enough RD signed that we should be able to get by until the trade deadline. Then add, since we'd probably have some money.
No, this is the way you upgrade before the season starts. You're thinking about this the wrong way.

Think in the context of the trade deadline, when contenders are looking to add. Think of the circumstances revolving around an actual hockey trade... before the start the season, where the Oilers are adding assets to get the more desirable player in a trade to fill out the Oilers roster. Likely adding even more assets to convince one or even two clubs to retain salary in a possible three team transaction. Maybe more than one trade should be expected with multiple moving parts.

It's going to be expensive and complicated to push the Oilers over the top but necessary if the want to start winning championships.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
You are assuming he's playing bottom 6. Maybe he outplays Ardvidson. Didn't he out play him in the playoffs? Also with Kane out we need his physical play. Wasn't Holloway top in hits in the playoffs for us?

Holloway was better than Foegele when he was healthy. Foegele was paid more by us and even more by LA than Holloway would be getting.
He won't outplay Arvidsson lol. At least not at this point in his career. Let's see how Arvidsson plays with Drai first before talking about how Holloway played better ...jfc. there's a reason why Holloway didn't get the 4.6 offersheet.
This is a very, very silly take.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You are assuming he's playing bottom 6. Maybe he outplays Ardvidson. Didn't he out play him in the playoffs? Also with Kane out we need his physical play. Wasn't Holloway top in hits in the playoffs for us?

Holloway was better than Foegele when he was healthy. Foegele was paid more by us and even more by LA than Holloway would be getting.
No way is he outplaying Arvidsson.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The big boys were also little boys playing for their own bag at one point too so I'm sure they understand.
Then they played well over a reasonable period of time and earned their raises. Broberg and Holloway have not earned these numbers in any way shape or form. It doesn’t make a lick of sense to believe that a team of veterans desperate to win a SC are just going to hand wave away the decisions these two players made. It’s one thing to ‘understand’ that it’s a business and everyone has an agent telling him what to do, and another thing altogether to sit in a room next to a coupe of rookies making 2x, 3x the value of their contributions to the team.

Much like Kostin last season, these guys prioritized the $. Fine, well within their rights to do so. I hope they enjoy life in St Louis. No interest in taking either of them back.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
99.99999% of the people get the fact that the Oilers have very little options when it comes to what they do.

Match and keep the players
Let them walk

The other .00001 are still convinced that the Oilers can match and trade them right away or try to negotiate a new contract.

Offer sheets and what teems can do is straight forward
Funny how the esteemed hockey guru/dumbass David Staples was one of the .00001, lol. And people parroted his stupidity. I’d hope the rest of us knew the rules from paying attention in the past.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
the more I think about it, the les inclined I would be to match. The real value both players had was that they would outperform their contracts. Now, that is very unlikely, especially Broberg.

Holloway is easily replaceable. We have 2 years before we have to find someone to fill the role that Broberg was expected to be. Right now, his contribution is easily replaceable in house.

It sucks but take the picks and move on

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Then they played well over a reasonable period of time and earned their raises. Broberg and Holloway have not earned these numbers in any way shape or form. It doesn’t make a lick of sense to believe that a team of veterans desperate to win a SC are just going to hand wave away the decisions these two players made. It’s one thing to ‘understand’ that it’s a business and everyone has an agent telling him what to do, and another thing altogether to sit in a room next to a coupe of rookies making 2x, 3x the value of their contributions to the team.

Much like Kostin last season, these guys prioritized the $. Fine, well within their rights to do so. I hope they enjoy life in St Louis. No interest in taking either of them back.
I can’t fathom selling off our third d pairing (sort of) to keep our seventh defenceman. I know they make a lot, but they’re reliable. Broberg isn’t. You’re right, the players all want to run this back. Broberg and Holloway grabbed the bag, and good for them. That bag had a plane ticket stapled to it.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
The compensation of a 2nd and 3rd is just not enough to let 2 young nhlers go at this point…it’s only a 2 year hit… if they play to their potential it’s probably still an underpay for a top 4 dman and top 9 forward. Worst case scenario you trade them next year for equal or better value or put them on waivers and have some cap space anyway

Macblender

May 5, 2014
The compensation of a 2nd and 3rd is just not enough to let 2 young nhlers go at this point…it’s only a 2 year hit… if they play to their potential it’s probably still an underpay for a top 4 dman and top 9 forward. Worst case scenario you trade them next year for equal or better value or put them on waivers and have some cap space anyway
Doesn’t matter that 2 years is a huge part of our cup window. Sacrificing all our depth to keep them is not worth it.

Cup of bust and we will figure out the 3-5 year part of the window as we go

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

No matter what you say you can't convince them a Mario Lemieux, a Nicklas Lidstrom or a Connor McDavid has to be handled differently than a Raffi Torres, a Martin Gelinas or a Jonas Brodin within the frame of reference concerning a professional sports franchise. They don't understand. It's the brain virus.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
It puts us at a disadvantage cap wise next year too. On top of losing Ceci and Kulak to make room for contracts they simply aren't worth. If neither lives up to the contracts, then we have to add sweetners to trade them...further making things worse.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Doesn’t matter that 2 years is a huge part of our cup window. Sacrificing all our depth to keep them is not worth it.

Cup of bust and we will figure out the 3-5 year part of the window as we go
It's so obvious that Kane is going on LTIR for the season or a majority of it. Trade Kulak and have Broberg take his spot and now we're cap compliant. Our cup window isn't closed because we traded our 3rd pairing LD. Kulak is on the decline, can't handle top 4 minutes and made a critical mistake on the cup winning goal. Broberg has a ton of potential and could be our future top LD. Cap is always projected to be going up by a decent amount over the next few years and our only dead cap next season is the Campbell buyout.

Worst case scenario if Broberg plain sucks is you try and trade him next August or buy him out for like a 700k penalty for 2 seasons. Well worth the gamble over keeping Kulak.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Doesn't matter, bigger fish to fry.

I'm not saying you can't make it work with Broberg or Holloway but make sure you don't f*** yourself over signing Broberg or Holloway.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
McD by now shouldn't even be consulted on what players he feels would be helpful. His track record on that is truly awful.

Drai not much better. Yams would still be here getting drilled into the boards if it was up to Drai.

I love the players but their appraisal of useful others is non existent.
This from the guy who loved Yakupov, said Puljujarvi was going to out score both Nuge and Hyman and that we’d be lucky if Hyman maintained his ‘40 point pace’ for the duration of his deal. Talk about non-existent appraisal of usefulness.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
He should have been getting decent NHL minutes last season, maybe even the season before. We excessively slow played his career for an 8th overall pick. Bouchard was already getting top 4 minutes and top unit PP time at the same point in his career. We would have had a better understanding of the player he could become and probably not be in this situation. Now we have to gamble on a small sample size.
What exactly has Broberg shown over his previous cups of coffee in the NHL that showed he should have played regular minutes in NHL last season let alone the previous year? Broberg was slow walked because he showed he needed to be.

Bouchard at least showed he could play in his limited time.

Last edited:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
the more I think about it, the les inclined I would be to match. The real value both players had was that they would outperform their contracts. Now, that is very unlikely, especially Broberg.

Holloway is easily replaceable. We have 2 years before we have to find someone to fill the role that Broberg was expected to be. Right now, his contribution is easily replaceable in house.

It sucks but take the picks and move on
Especially team dynamics, I’m sure no player in the room will begrudge them for signing the contracts, but how can you look at Broberg and say “ yeah, that guy brings more value than Bouchard. In no way in a cap league can you have Broberg making more against than Bouchard. its not feasible. Period. Not only does it throw off the curve of value contracts, there is no way Broberg can live up to expectations that come along with that cap hit and how it hamstrings the cap.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Especially team dynamics, I’m sure no player in the room will begrudge them for signing the contracts, but how can you look at Broberg and say “ yeah, that guy brings more value than Bouchard. In no way in a cap league can you have Broberg making more against than Bouchard. its not feasible. Period. Not only does it throw off the curve of value contracts, there is no way Broberg can live up to expectations that come along with that cap hit and how it hamstrings the cap.
True. I also think the bigger issue is how “sizeable” contracts to players on the thin edge of the knife haven’t worked out - Nurse, Lucic, Campbell and how it has handcuffed the org after the fact. In a way if the Oilers sign these offer sheeted players, they are setting up for more of that.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What exactly has Broberg shown over his previous cups of coffee in the NHL that showed he should have played regular minutes in NHL last season let alone the previous year? Broberg was slow walked because he showed he needed to be.

Bouchard at least showed he could play in his limited time.
Bouchard only got the chance because he was a right shot and we were desperate at that position. Broberg was blocked because we had to many LD. Most prospects aren’t going to show much when they get random callous and play less than 7 minutes a game. There come a time when you have to give a high end prospect a legitimate shot and see how they do. Broberg didn’t get that chance until the WCF and actually played decent against two of the best teams in the league in a pressure filled environment.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
It's so obvious that Kane is going on LTIR for the season or a majority of it. Trade Kulak and have Broberg take his spot and now we're cap compliant. Our cup window isn't closed because we traded our 3rd pairing LD. Kulak is on the decline, can't handle top 4 minutes and made a critical mistake on the cup winning goal. Broberg has a ton of potential and could be our future top LD. Cap is always projected to be going up by a decent amount over the next few years and our only dead cap next season is the Campbell buyout.

Worst case scenario if Broberg plain sucks is you try and trade him next August or buy him out for like a 700k penalty for 2 seasons. Well worth the gamble over keeping Kulak.
so obvious that every reporter has said he isn’t on ltir whole season serious but they have said anywhere from 2 months to till deadline latest

Reactions: CycloneSweep

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Bouchard only got the chance because he was a right shot and we were desperate at that position. Broberg was blocked because we had to many LD. Most prospects aren’t going to show much when they get random callous and play less than 7 minutes a game. There come a time when you have to give a high end prospect a legitimate shot and see how they do. Broberg didn’t get that chance until the WCF and actually played decent against two of the best teams in the league in a pressure filled environment.
We weren’t desperate we had Tyson Barrie. He played so well he made Barrie expendable.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bottom 6 guy getting payed twice what he's worth? Naw man, he made his bed with the bank and was the willing stooge to put us in a bad spot. I don't think the room will take kindly to him after this tbh.
It would not really be twice what he is worth. It is more like twice what he could have been paid if the deal had been made without the OS. If he was not coming off and ELC and the Oilers had cap space I don't think $1.7M on a two year deal would have been unreasonable for Holloway. He looked pretty good to me as a utility forward. And I could see him being used in a variety of situations this year up and down the line-up depending on how the Oilers wanted to deploy their lines.

LA made a lot of hay from a third line of Kempe, Iaffalo and Vilardi. The Oilers might want to try something like

Nuge/Skinner Henrique Arvidsson sometime

which would see Holloway in the top 6 with either Leon or McDavid.

At $2.2M it is definitely high but not so much so that I think it would be foolish to match. A 3rd for Holloway does not really replace his value. Of course the issue is how do you manage the cap. That might well make it difficult to keep him.

Reactions: McBooya42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad