Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If we match how much time do we have to get cap compliant?

Another option would be to match and then shop to trade either Broberg, Holloway, Ceci, Kulak, or whatever. But how much time will we have.

Heck we could get a better return for both Holloway and Broberg by doing our own shopping.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I would prefer a GM who f***ing does anything. I would prefer to have f***ing heard from him at some f***ing point.

You don't have to apologize for him when he's clearly appears to be doing nothing

Waive Ceci everyday hoping someone bites, because so many are convinced he'll be taken for free
I’ve always pegged Ceci’s value as pretty minimal. 5th round pick to future considerations was my predicted value based on his reputation mostly but not how he actually performs as a top 4D. At 3.25M playing Top 4D minutes you’d think there’d be more there. But Ceci just doesn’t have a good reputation in this League.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Thats more than Broberg has ever shown in the NHL. Which is kind of my point
That same year broberg had 7 points in 35 games and was a plus 8 so you're wrong. Maybe if the team had gone for a right handed version of Ekholm that we could have paired with Broberg than the discussion would be should we match Bouchards OS.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Here's a tidbit for you: Since 21-22, Bouchard features in 5 of the 6 top pairings in xGF% playing together more than 100 min at 5v5. His partners include Nurse, Ekholm, Broberg (haha), Kulak, and Niemelainen(!). Lowering to 50 min TOI, Bouchard is featured in 7 of the top 15.

Bouchard's ability to positively tilt the ice shows even when he's not paired with Ekholm, although there is no denying that Ek-Bouchard is the best pairing this team has had for many years.
Lol than why exactly did we have a green guy like Broberg paired with the disaster that was Nurse during the finals if Bouchard could so easily turn that pairing into a ice tilting paring? Bouchard was a minus player until Ekholm showed up in March of 22. Show his statistics from before the Ekholm addition.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Bouchard earned his spot.

Prime Barrie was great. Is that supposed to be a bad thing?
He earned it because he had an extended opportunity to show what he can do and was able to make mistakes without getting sent down because we had no one to play RD. Bouchard is also elite offensively and I believ me would have been in talks for going 1st overall if he was a better skater. If we had a right shot Nurse, Ekholm and Barrie during Bouchards first 4 years then he wouldn’t have had the same opportunities . Our RD since we drafted Bouchard over the years has been Larsson, Bear, Ceci, Barrie, VD, Benning plus a bunch of scrubs and it wasn’t until his 4th year when the Oiler acquired Kieth that he got to be a full time player and then took off in his 5th year after we traded Barrie.

I thought the way we handled Bouchard was near perfect and that’s with us having a weak right side. They were going a similar path with Broberg but they should have had him on his natural side with a veteran RD partner. Our left side, in my opinion, is one of the best in the NHL but they have to make that decision now if Broberg can make it better as soon as this season and in the long run.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I would prefer a GM who f***ing does anything. I would prefer to have f***ing heard from him at some f***ing point.

You don't have to apologize for him when he's clearly appears to be doing nothing

Waive Ceci everyday hoping someone bites, because so many are convinced he'll be taken for free
You'd also be in here crying and throwing a temper tantrum if he was holding a presser telling everyone his plan.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
So they are going to lose two trending up first overall picks, one being an 8th over all 22 year old Defenseman (who are quite rare), for a second and a third.

What a disaster. The future is starting to look not so bright now.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Appearances are everything!

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If you’ve been around long enough, you know the post-dynasty oilers are one of the worst managed teams in history. Things can always get worse before they get worse. Etc.

I’m not optimistic about this management group.

I am still somewhat optimistic about McDrai, but we already know they cant do it alone.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Lol than why exactly did we have a green guy like Broberg paired with the disaster that was Nurse during the finals if Bouchard could so easily turn that pairing into a ice tilting paring? Bouchard was a minus player until Ekholm showed up in March of 22. Show his statistics from before the Ekholm addition.
Because statistically, Ekholm-Bouchard was the most dominant pairing in the NHL this season, they're too good to split up. It wasn't that they specifically chose Broberg to pair with Nurse, it was the coaching splitting up Nurse and Ceci (the true disaster pairing this season/playoffs) which left Broberg as the guy to pair with Nurse as they were scratching VD. Broberg, when playing, had the lowest ice time per game at all strengths on the Oilers - he was the 6th d-man in the playoffs.

As for Bouchard's stats before Ekholm (oct 2021 - feb 2023), again he was part of 5 of the Oilers top 10 pairings (1, 3, 4, 5, 8) at 5v5 (50 min TOI) with Nurse, Broberg, Niemelainen, Barrie, and Lagesson - all >53 xGF% pairings. His pairings also represented 3 of the bottom 4 for OISV%, which there could be an argument made that he played a part in those numbers, however Barrie's pairings were 3 of top 4 (with same LHD options) and we all know how poor he was as a defender.

Broberg never had a quality veteran RHD to pair with, which is a failing of the Oilers org, however Bouchard has shown that he can tread water with sub-par partners.

Last edited:
Reactions: McBooya42

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

There is literally nothing to say until the decision is made. This is a pretty complex situation. Lots of wheels in motion I am sure.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
VD was an older player and a right shot. We were jamming a square peg in a round hole by asking a left shot rookie to play his off side.
Before the offer sheet Broberg was supposed to be the savior of the second pairing and future Ekholm replacement. Now he’s just some scrub that’s worse then our bottom pairing guys.
You didn't really address the question. When did the Oilers jerk Broberg around?

Reactions: AM

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If we match how much time do we have to get cap compliant?

Another option would be to match and then shop to trade either Broberg, Holloway, Ceci, Kulak, or whatever. But how much time will we have.

Heck we could get a better return for both Holloway and Broberg by doing our own shopping.
They have until the end of the off season.

Reactions: TheNumber4

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Broberg didn’t even have that chance. The team had a spot on the 3rd pairing for Bouchard because of the lack of options. Bouchard took the ball and ran with it. If he was spending most of his time in the PB or AHL and when he did get a chance it was the coach decided to go 11-7 and give him 3-7 minutes of ice time we wouldn’t know what Bouchards potential could be. Teams don’t draft a player in the top 10 then jerk him around for 5 years.
Broberg was given the option to take that 3rd pairing LHD spot for years, and was never able to grab it, or the 3rd pairing RHD spot for that matter. The past few years now, it's been his spot to lose on either side and he just hasn't been able to do it. Bouchard had the advantage of being a RHD, but he earned whatever ice time he got, and in spades.

Reactions: AM

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lol we still blaming Bouch for a couple month period of 0.960 PDO where Campbell and Skinner couldn't stop a beach ball to try to pump up Broberg now? Broberg's only really good period of performance by GF and xGF was on a third pair with Bouch.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
2 measly picks in exchange for 2 uptrending, young, impact players that could be here and contributing for the next 4+ years is a garbage return. Our window to compete is much improved if we keep them.

Have to find a way retain IMO. The difference between Ceci and Broberg would only be 1.35M. Ceci walks next year anyways, and you are looking at a replacement in that 4M range anyways.

Holloway’s replacement would be a 1M player we hoped Holloway would be at this year. And whoever his replacement will be won’t have the same upside. Only a 1.29M difference.

Ship Ceci and Kulak out, get some picks or whatever. That’s 6M right there and we can retain both players. Exchange some vet steadiness for some youth and potential. If the Defence isn’t good enough through the year, look to upgrade at the deadline.
Broberg is worse than Ceci paired with Nurse. He's not a good fit there, at all. Left side is a different story, but he outpriced himself. He's gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad