Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We weren’t desperate we had Tyson Barrie. He played so well he made Barrie expendable.
Broberg didn’t even have that chance. The team had a spot on the 3rd pairing for Bouchard because of the lack of options. Bouchard took the ball and ran with it. If he was spending most of his time in the PB or AHL and when he did get a chance it was the coach decided to go 11-7 and give him 3-7 minutes of ice time we wouldn’t know what Bouchards potential could be. Teams don’t draft a player in the top 10 then jerk him around for 5 years.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
What exactly has Broberg shown over his previous cups of coffee in the NHL that showed he should have played regular minutes in NHL last season let alone the previous year? Broberg was slow walked because he showed he needed to be.

Bouchard at least showed he could play in his limited time.
lol Bouchard was a tire fire until Ekholm came over. The guy had 3 goals and 21 points in 61 games and looked like a taller Barrie a lot of revisionist history going on here.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Broberg didn’t even have that chance. The team had a spot on the 3rd pairing for Bouchard because of the lack of options. Bouchard took the ball and ran with it. If he was spending most of his time in the PB or AHL and when he did get a chance it was the coach decided to go 11-7 and give him 3-7 minutes of ice time we wouldn’t know what Bouchards potential could be. Teams don’t draft a player in the top 10 then jerk him around for 5 years.
Bouchard earned his spot.

lol Bouchard was a tire fire until Ekholm came over. The guy had 3 goals and 21 points in 61 games and looked like a taller Barrie a lot of revisionist history going on here.
Prime Barrie was great. Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
As recently as the beginning of last season, he was given a chance to earn a spot and could not do so.

VD took his spot.

In the playoffs, Broberg came in after the team had already played 14 playoff games. Broberg, who was rested and healthy, played 3rd pairing minutes against a bunch of opponents who were beat up and tired.

He played decent.

Please state specifically what the team did to jerk him around. Seems to me that he has had a few years to grab a spot. He could not keep it.

I don't think that he outplayed other players and then was sent down. If he was jerked around, when did it happen?

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
It would not really be twice what he is worth. It is more like twice what he could have been paid if the deal had been made without the OS. If he was not coming off and ELC and the Oilers had cap space I don't think $1.7M on a two year deal would have been unreasonable for Holloway. He looked pretty good to me as a utility forward. And I could see him being used in a variety of situations this year up and down the line-up depending on how the Oilers wanted to deploy their lines.

LA made a lot of hay from a third line of Kempe, Iaffalo and Vilardi. The Oilers might want to try something like

Nuge/Skinner Henrique Arvidsson sometime

which would see Holloway in the top 6 with either Leon or McDavid.

At $2.2M it is definitely high but not so much so that I think it would be foolish to match. A 3rd for Holloway does not really replace his value. Of course the issue is how do you manage the cap. That might well make it difficult to keep him.
Fair points.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
2 measly picks in exchange for 2 uptrending, young, impact players that could be here and contributing for the next 4+ years is a garbage return. Our window to compete is much improved if we keep them.

Have to find a way retain IMO. The difference between Ceci and Broberg would only be 1.35M. Ceci walks next year anyways, and you are looking at a replacement in that 4M range anyways.

Holloway’s replacement would be a 1M player we hoped Holloway would be at this year. And whoever his replacement will be won’t have the same upside. Only a 1.29M difference.

Ship Ceci and Kulak out, get some picks or whatever. That’s 6M right there and we can retain both players. Exchange some vet steadiness for some youth and potential. If the Defence isn’t good enough through the year, look to upgrade at the deadline.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
True. I also think the bigger issue is how “sizeable” contracts to players on the thin edge of the knife haven’t worked out - Nurse, Lucic, Campbell and how it has handcuffed the org after the fact. In a way if the Oilers sign these offer sheeted players, they are setting up for more of that.
That's what makes this so interesting and challenging. Nurse was a long-term bet on a prime years age 26 player homegrown guy who they walked into perfect storm contract conditions. Lucic and Campbell were late stage career market pays who slipped as their games declined.

Broberg and Holloway are sub age 23 players at beginning stage of peak performance phase. Pegged as value deals, Oilers management misread the organization's vulnerability and market assessment on young talent acquisition. Now its assessing their self induced cap squeeze, immediate cup window phase and these two player's ability to contribution immediately and longer-term to a desired sustaining winning window. The double offer sheet is unprecedented. The team circumstances too is likely unprecedented.

The decision making process involved is fascinating considering Jackson's strategic vision includes moving to more data/analytic based decision making; his deep experience on the agency side of such tough situations; Bowman's own hot seat experience running a multiple Cup winning team required to make tough calls. The other unknown underlaying the evaluation and decision making is their enhanced analytics department under Parkatti who is I'm sure doing modelling work to further inform the knee capping situation Oilers management has walked into. Fascinating. Traumatic. But fascinating.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Here's a tidbit for you: Since 21-22, Bouchard features in 5 of the 6 top pairings in xGF% playing together more than 100 min at 5v5. His partners include Nurse, Ekholm, Broberg (haha), Kulak, and Niemelainen(!). Lowering to 50 min TOI, Bouchard is featured in 7 of the top 15.

Bouchard's ability to positively tilt the ice shows even when he's not paired with Ekholm, although there is no denying that Ek-Bouchard is the best pairing this team has had for many years.

Reactions: McBooya42

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It seems it’s pay high picks to dump kulak and Ceci to keep them or take the picks offered and wave goodbye.
Both are NHL defenders at reasonable contracts. If the ask is for US to pay high picks we are getting the screw job. Would be nice to have some connections right now. The ones Holland had to get himself out of messes like Yamos cap hit.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kane LTIR + Kulak out gets us there.

f***in LTIR already Kane. No one wants to see you struggling out there anyways. Get healthy and get that Cup like you’ve always said was your goal here. The best thing he can do to help our cup chances and his cup chances at this point is to sit and heal.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
As recently as the beginning of last season, he was given a chance to earn a spot and could not do so.

VD took his spot.

In the playoffs, Broberg came in after the team had already played 14 playoff games. Broberg, who was rested and healthy, played 3rd pairing minutes against a bunch of opponents who were beat up and tired.

He played decent.

Please state specifically what the team did to jerk him around. Seems to me that he has had a few years to grab a spot. He could not keep it.

I don't think that he outplayed other players and then was sent down. If this happened, when did it happen?

The team screwed him by, uh, letting him get outplayed by players like Desharnais, Koekkoek, Kulikov, Russell, Gleason and Niemelienan.

Oh wait, he's just been objectively kind of bad, and is objectively not worth paying 4.6 AAV after what he's shown this far in his career.

Reactions: McBooya42

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Kane LTIR + Kulak out gets us there.

f***in LTIR already Kane. No one wants to see you struggling out there anyways. Get healthy and get that Cup like you’ve always said was your goal here. The best thing he can do to help our cup chances and his cup chances at this point is to sit and heal.
I mean I hate the idea of having to add a bunch to get rid of a better defenseman than Ceci

Can they just announce something already
Nah, Stan's just relaxing

• Haha
Reactions: McHelpus

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mean I hate the idea of having to add a bunch to get rid of a better defenseman than Ceci

Nah, Stan's just relaxing
Yeh it sucks. Nothing about this is gonna be good. But it is what it is, the Blues screwed us here. Have to navigate this problem now. I’d look to keep both players.

And some combo of Kulak out and/or Kane LTIR and/or Ceci Out I’d be able to stomach.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
2 measly picks in exchange for 2 uptrending, young, impact players that could be here and contributing for the next 4+ years is a garbage return. Our window to compete is much improved if we keep them.

Have to find a way retain IMO. The difference between Ceci and Broberg would only be 1.35M. Ceci walks next year anyways, and you are looking at a replacement in that 4M range anyways.

Holloway’s replacement would be a 1M player we hoped Holloway would be at this year. And whoever his replacement will be won’t have the same upside. Only a 1.29M difference.

Ship Ceci and Kulak out, get some picks or whatever. That’s 6M right there and we can retain both players. Exchange some vet steadiness for some youth and potential. If the Defence isn’t good enough through the year, look to upgrade at the deadline.
The issue here is you are moving out 1/3 of your dcore in order to afford a guy currently worse than both in the hopes he will be as good as either of them at the start of the year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

VD took his spot.

He played decent.

I don't think that he outplayed other players and then was sent down. If this happened, when did it happen?
VD was an older player and a right shot. We were jamming a square peg in a round hole by asking a left shot rookie to play his off side.
Before the offer sheet Broberg was supposed to be the savior of the second pairing and future Ekholm replacement. Now he’s just some scrub that’s worse then our bottom pairing guys.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The issue here is you are moving out 1/3 of your dcore in order to afford a guy currently worse than both in the hopes he will be as good as either of them at the start of the year.
Ceci blows. Hurts us in the playoffs. I’m not saying Broberg wouldn’t also hurt us, but given what he’s shown this last playoffs and what Ceci’s always shown every playoffs. I take the bet that we’re better off with Broberg in and Ceci out.

Kulak out hurts us on top of that. But atleast he’s only playing 3rd pairing minutes. Have to take a hit here in order to retain our future.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Would you prefer our GM make quick decisions in the heat of the moment and do dumb shit like you always suggest such as waiving Skinner?
I would prefer a GM who f***ing does anything. I would prefer to have f***ing heard from him at some f***ing point.

You don't have to apologize for him when he's clearly appears to be doing nothing

Yeh it sucks. Nothing about this is gonna be good. But it is what it is, the Blues screwed us here. Have to navigate this problem now. I’d look to keep both players.

And some combo of Kulak out and/or Kane LTIR and/or Ceci Out I’d be able to stomach.
Waive Ceci everyday hoping someone bites, because so many are convinced he'll be taken for free

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad