Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
In any case, I would match both if we can move Ceci, but even if Broberg doesn't work out, I think we have to match on Holloway. 2.2 isn't a massive overpay.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
We signed 8000 players on July 1st but not our RFAs. Everyone was saying it was the best offseason ever. Now we're in the "finding out" stage.

I'd probably let both walk but Broberg absolutely for sure.
Guy. It’s just Holloway and Broberg.

Savoie has an opening now and he can’t be much worse than Holloway was.

Broberg doesn’t move a needle. Broberg showed nothing for 3 seasons had a few good games in the playoffs and got a massive raise. Let him ride that 4.5 mil and be happy he isn’t earning it here.

We lost nothing of consequence.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Man this sucks, two up and coming players with alot of speed. Which is one of the most desirable attributes in the NHL. Lost Clouder already. Let them walk, we become much slower and older.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Guy. It’s just Holloway and Broberg.

Savoie has an opening now and he can’t be much worse than Holloway was.

Broberg doesn’t move a needle. Broberg showed nothing for 3 seasons had a few good games in the playoffs and got a massive raise. Let him ride that 4.5 mil and be happy he isn’t earning it here.

We lost nothing of consequence.
If either player gets anywhere close to where we think their ceiling might be, we'd be losing a hell of a lot of consequence.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
That sounds great, but what 23-year old is turning down 9.16 million when the alternative is likely half of that or less?
Plus guaranteed ice time. A team signing you to a $4.5M contract is going to play you. Neither Broberg nor Holloway has had an opportunity to play a regular role. we can talk about earned it or not but if I'm the player that regular role shot is as important or more impt than the money.

Reactions: McDoused and ujju2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I remember some folks saying that Broberg and Holloway won't sign offer sheets because they want to win a Cup. I was floored that there were people who really believed that. They want that bag, nothing else, just like the majority of people in the world.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is f***ing absurd, I know you're partly shit posting, but come on even you don't believe the Ceci v. Broberg nonsense. Broberg as a good chance to be better than Nurse this season, he's already much better than Ceci.

Oh yeah, I personally believe that Broberg is better than Ceci already, 100%. I'm just pointing out that its a pretty big bet on Broberg is all.

Even if you do trade Ceci, you still don't have room to sign Broberg though, and you'll have to give up assets to trade Ceci now. You'll likely have to add a 3rd rounder to trade him, and then run a smaller roster throughout the year to make up the 1.2 M in salary different between Ceci and Broberg. Not a really good option to be honest.

What very likely happens is they roll our current D with Stetcher playing instead of Broberg on the right side. That is easily good enough to make playoffs, and then they use the 2nd round pick to try and get a D upgrade at the deadline. Then next offseason they use the $3.2 M that Ceci clears up to sign a cheaper UFA Dman.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
If either player gets anywhere close to where we think their ceiling might be, we'd be losing a hell of a lot of consequence.
If if if.

I don’t see that happening. Even if it does chances are we wouldn’t be able to resign them to thier next contract.

I’m okay with this. I wasn’t high on either. Especially Broberg.

Zoupa

Jul 7, 2024
Those of you smarter than myself on these matters, we don't have to be cap-compliant in the offseason to match, do we? In other words, could we match on Broberg and then trade him elsewhere for more than a 2nd?

I read they couldn't be traded for 1 year if you match. So I guess no.

Reactions: ujju2

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Remember when the oilers offer sheet for penner was criticized for upsetting the marketplace. Waiting for the same here, doubt it happens.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
You can't trade a player for a year after matching an offer sheet. Specifically in place to protect players from what you just suggested lol.
Yeah I just realized that before you replied. But is my other suggestion still an option? Deal him while the offer sheet is in place to a team that can afford to match the offer. I have a hard time believing Broberg couldn't fetch more than a 2nd from some other team in the league.

Reactions: fuswald

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I remember some folks saying that Broberg and Holloway won't sign offer sheets because they want to win a Cup. I was floored that there were people who really believed that. They want that bag, nothing else, just like the majority of people in the world.
Money and opportunity that they aren't going to get here. Not as difficult a decision as some would believe.

By the way, you said years ago the Nurse contract is the kind that cripples a team. You were right.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
As much as it sucks, I think I would just walk away from both guys. I don’t think either guy is really worth the cap. Its a well valued and timed from St. Louis point of view because its just enough to not really make it worth it.

The only way that makes sense to keep Broberg in particular would be to move Nurse. I just don’t see it happening.

Overall, it just sucks.

Reactions: McDoused

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
In any case, I would match both if we can move Ceci, but even if Broberg doesn't work out, I think we have to match on Holloway. 2.2 isn't a massive overpay.
That's too much cash for an unproven defenceman in Broberg that realistically should have been on the third pairing for the Oilers this upcoming season.

Holloway isn't that good. The other day, before he signed the offer sheet, I posted he was the most overrated Oiler in the Kane thread. He's got 9 career goals and he's had playing time with Draisaitl in the top six.

Reactions: McDoused

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
It's tough, but that's the right call.

This is a veteran team, you can't kowtow to two young players, neither having much over 80 games experience under their belt.
This is making sense. I do want Broberg but he is forcing our hand.

If Broberg turns into a superstar or close then it's too bad. We can't have all the best players in the league gotta share.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad