Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If if if.

I don’t see that happening. Even if it does chances are we wouldn’t be able to resign them to thier next contract.

I’m okay with this. I wasn’t high on either. Especially Broberg.
Who cares about their next contract, the next 2 years are our prime cup window. But I also am very high on both players so I see where the disagreement is.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They can trade Ceci and LTIR Kane and move him later.

Now f*** off back to your own board.
Don't disagree on your last point but the Oilers ARE bent over here.
They can't trade Ceci in 7 days because teams know that the Oilers are desperate to unload cap and will squeeze them. Broberg is gone, Holloway they likely match, and I have no idea how they replace Broberg long term or even short term really. This is a blow short and especially long term tbh unless Broberg just isn't that good which I suppose is still possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Waive or trade who you need to sign these players.

Once they can be moved, move them to the worst teams in the league in the worst markets that you can find.

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah I just realized that before you replied. But is my other suggestion still an option? Deal him while the offer sheet is in place to a team that can afford to match the offer. I have a hard time believing Broberg couldn't fetch more than a 2nd from some other team in the league.
I don't think that is an option, as he is technically property of St. Louis right now as they have a signed agreement. Your suggestion is essentially trying to trade your compensation your entitled too. A deal like that would have been needed to be done before the offer sheet was signed, and then at that point the offer sheet isn't likely tendered as the new team could simply match with no issue.

Looks like a nice Skinner replacement.
This would be my target in exchange for Holloway haha

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Waive or trade who you need to sign these players.

Once they can be moved, move them to the worst teams in the league in the worst markets that you can find.
Can’t trade them for a year so can we stop proposing to sign them and trade them?

Reactions: McDoused

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Don't disagree on your last point but the Oilers ARE bent over here.
They can't trade Ceci in 7 days because teams know that the Oilers are desperate to unload cap and will squeeze them. Broberg is gone, Holloway they likely match, and I have no idea how they replace Broberg long term or even short term really. This is a blow short and especially long term tbh unless Broberg just isn't that good which is suppose is still possible.
The Oilers can give Ceci away for free. Teams will take him.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Might be a bit of an exaggeration but Nurse has slid hard in the past couple of years.
He never was that good to start with, but with the right partner he's a good second pairing defenseman that adds toughness the Oil desperately need.

Do you think Broberg was the right partner?

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
A 9mil 3rd pairing defenseman . In what universe do you not see that as a problem in a cap league?

If Nurse was making less money it would've been spent on the players that took discounts to stay here anyway. The only reason Bouchard, Henrique, Skinner, Brown, Janmark etc. are making as little as they are is because they knew we couldn't afford to pay them more. Pay Nurse less and those players are suddenly demanding more.

Anyway, it's definitely not worth keeping Broberg at that price. Holloway is debatable too.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Sort of confused why Army made this move, especially given the amount of defensemen we signed this offseason plus players we had before free agency. To my knowledge, I don't know if Armstrong had ever in his career offer-sheeted a player, let alone two. The only time I remember him being part of one was when Backes was offer-sheeted by the Canucks, but that was over a decade ago.

I understand the move strategically, but in like a moral/karma sense I don't personally like it. It's not like the Oilers are going to forget we offer-sheeted two of their players, but hey, we didn't really do anything to Vancouver. Whether or not they both come to St Louis, I hope they do well. Idk man, sorry guys

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Jeff Jackson f***ed up the cap then had months to wait for the offer sheet, but let’s blame the new guy
How did Jackson f*** up the cap?
You don't like the Arvidsson, Skinner, Janmark, Henrique and Brown signings, the McLeod trade that unloaded 2m? Would you have just not signed 2 or 3 of those guys out of worry of a bloated offer sheet?

I don't understand how Jackson gets any blame here? It seems pretty obvious that these guys weren't signing lowball contracts with their agents likely knowing that the possibility of offer sheets were out there so what could Jackson do?

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is the first time in history a team has ever offer sheeted two players from the same team, at the same time yea?
Way back in the day SJ OS Neimi and Hjarlmarsson from Chicago iirc. Can’t recall if it was the same day but it was the same off season I believe.

Reactions: sepHF

McDanglez

Jan 15, 2011
Saskatchatoon
We didn't sleep on either player. We could have easily signed them to similar deals earlier on and our off-season would have been done, money spent. Clearly their agents knew this was a possibility, which is why they never signed. JJ did exactly what he should have. He went out and got some good players. We can't sit all summer waiting to see what happens with these 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad