Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Those of you smarter than myself on these matters, we don't have to be cap-compliant in the offseason to match, do we? In other words, could we match on Broberg and then trade him elsewhere for more than a 2nd?
We can go over the cap by 10% in the off season, but we can't trade an offer-sheeted player for a year after we match it. So we could match and go over the cap, but we would need another way to get back under the cap (Kane's LTIR won't be enough unless he's out the entire regular season).

Reactions: McDoused and ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Don't forget Broberg already asked out and Holland couldn't find the right trade.

I don't want a guy who doesn't want to be around a team that was 1 game from winning the Cup. Hard pass.
That sounds great, but what 23-year old is turning down 9.16 million when the alternative is likely half of that or less?

Reactions: McDoused

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
No, a spot just opened for Matt Savoie.
Or Lavoie.

But Holloway has a game better suited to playoff hockey. Plus I think he’s more likely to increase his trade value while Brober at over 4.5M has a much steeper hill to climb. If he falls on his face or doesn’t take another step then he could be worth less then a 2nd.

Reactions: InTheBox

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton
I don't blame Broberg for signing this offer sheet and I won't blame Bowman for walking away from it. It's just too much money and that's the reality of it all.

I don't get this from Holloway's perspective though. Sure, he may have to play in the bottom 6 this year but he have a real good chance of winning a cup this season and also have a real good chance of playing on a line with either McDavid or Drai as early as next year. In fact Holloway signing this offer sheet may even hurt his chances of making more money in the long run because you can bet there's no one in St. Louis that can drive up his production as much as the 2 superstars in Edmonton.

One thing I'm curious about is if it's possible to either match the offer sheet for Broberg then trade him for another Dman, on a team with plenty of cap, who could play in the NHL this season. Or even trade him before the deadline to match the offer and let the other team match it instead. In both scenarios we should receive more than just a 2nd in the deal. Unless there's a rule against it I'd say match the Holloway offer and say f*ck Broberg and St. Louis and trade him to a shit team with plenty of cap.
You can't trade a player for a year after matching an offer sheet. Specifically in place to protect players from what you just suggested lol.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Those of you smarter than myself on these matters, we don't have to be cap-compliant in the offseason to match, do we? In other words, could we match on Broberg and then trade him elsewhere for more than a 2nd?
They can be 10% over. They could match if they chose to do so.

Reactions: ujju2

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Would it? We're getting a 2nd round pick from a team that's most likely going to miss the playoffs for a player who is 5 years post draft and has no track record of being a consistent NHL player. I'd actually argue the return pick is on the higher end of what his expected trade value would be.

It is becoming quite clear from reading this thread that I am not on the same page as most of you in regards to Philip Broberg.

I'm with you. Broberg had flashes, but the wheels started to come off late in the Stars series and I thought his pair with Nurse more sucked than not in the Finals.

There is nowhere near the track record to risk that deal over two years. He could easily flop, and is probably actually more likely to flop than succeed to the point of earning that deal.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Meh

Let Broberg walk. I like him but as posters were just saying the last couple days, wheels started to fall off in the Finals and he’s not worth what St Blow-Us offered

Holloway I’m not as sure about but don’t think he’s worth that either

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
That sounds great, but what 23-year old is turning down 9.16 million when the alternative is likely half of that or less?
If it was just the money, I'd agree. They have to be ruthless, it's a short career, injuries are always a possibility etc. I'm just saying he already wanted out when this team was on the rise. He asked to be traded, he doesn't want to be here, it's not about this offer sheet particularly.

I don't care about Broberg, it's not personal, I'm just saying he hasn't wanted to be here for some time, so let's try to accommodate that.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Which two NHLers are you dumping to keep Broberg?
Dump Ceci, LTIR Kane, and even if Kane can't stay LTIRed for the whole year, you've at least bought yourself a bunch of time to move the remaining cap you need. If Kane is LTIRed all year then it works out easier.

Now the challenge is moving Ceci when teams know we're up against a wall.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Without the offer-sheet, I could see Broberg just being a hold out asking for a trade regardless. Being Nurse's babysitter can't be that appealing as a reason to stay when he wanted out already, lol.

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Oh my!!

Clever move by St Louis. We slept to long on Bro...
Not really. He showed nothing at all until the playoffs last year. There’s just as much a chance he falls back down to earth this season as he has improves. At least now the choice is removed for us. Easy no match.

I actually liked Holloway but again. Same situation for him. There were times last season he was playing himself off the roster like McLeod.

Savoie has a spot now.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
The one who says hey, two years of this, good chance I win a cup and I will always have that on my resume. But this was too massive of an overpay to ignore I guess. Congrats to him and his agent, hope he never even sees past the second round of the playoffs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm with you. Broberg had flashes, but the wheels started to come off late in the Stars series and I thought his pair with Nurse more sucked than not in the Finals.

There is nowhere near the track record to risk that deal over two years. He could easily flop, and is probably actually more likely to flop than succeed to the point of earning that deal.
Let's all think back to when there were rumours flying that Broberg had requested a trade. Would we have been angry at getting a 2nd round pick from St. Louis at that time? I think if we were, we would have been delusional. A 2nd is probably what he is worth in trade. If we have to move him, a 2nd is fine. It's obviously not as good as having him on the roster at a more reasonable cap hit, but that's no longer an option. Is the 2nd more valuable than Broberg at 4.6M for 2 years? It just might be.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If it was just the money, I'd agree. They have to be ruthless, it's a short career, injuries are always a possibility etc. I'm just saying he already wanted out when this team was on the rise. He asked to be traded, he doesn't want to be here, it's not about this offer sheet particularly.

I don't care about Broberg, it's not personal, I'm just saying he hasn't wanted to be here for some time, so let's try to accommodate that.

Sure, but when it first came out that he wanted out, this wasn't a team that was 1 win away from the cup. So there's no evidence that Broberg wanted to walk away from such a team, as you had indicated. I'd also add that at the time of the alleged request, Broberg wasn't really getting a chance to play much in the NHL. That has also changed. I'm not sure the trade request really matters anymore, this is a different player and different team than the ones involved back then.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
A 9mil 3rd pairing defenseman . In what universe do you not see that as a problem in a cap league?

3rd pair is still even debatable. Nurse and Broberg got eaten alive, but got loads of luck. Blues obviously fell in love with a handful of lucky games. We don't have the cap space to do the same. We need to actually fix our D for real, and matching this would just end that chance.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't really disagree. But the lemonade may well be how he uses the assets in the future.

Yeah, that is really what is left. What do we do with the 2nd and 3rd pick (which are both less than we would have gotten for the players in a trade, but what can you do), as well as the cap space. But the thing is that the cap space is basically non existent, because they were counting on squeezing them both into the cap for a low number. So whatever players you bring in to replace them (say Savoie and Stetcher) are basically the same cap as Holloway/Broberg going the other way. We didn't "gain" any cap space with this.

The Oilers are worse next year after all of this, barring Savoie lighting the world on fire or something crazy like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad