Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Match Holloway and trade his selfish ass, let Broberg go. We were 1 game away from the cup and these losers wanna go play for a team on the downswing? Fine, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Ya gotta think they can do better than a 3rd for Holloway though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ugh to this, I will say and stick on this point.

Letting either player walk to "keep" the guys that are hear is a massive mistake. One I'm basically expecting at this point.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
We didn't sleep on either player. We could have easily signed them to similar deals earlier on and our off-season would have been done, money spent. Clearly their agents knew this was a possibility, which is why they never signed. JJ did exactly what he should have. He went out and got some good players. We can't sit all summer waiting to see what happens with these 2.
Absolutely. Makes sense why we signed what seemed to be a gratuitous amount of defencemen lol.

I'm not missing out on Jeff Skinner because Holloway might sign an offer sheet for nearly the same amount.

Reactions: McDoused

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Don't disagree on your last point but the Oilers ARE bent over here.
They can't trade Ceci in 7 days because teams know that the Oilers are desperate to unload cap and will squeeze them. Broberg is gone, Holloway they likely match, and I have no idea how they replace Broberg long term or even short term really. This is a blow short and especially long term tbh unless Broberg just isn't that good which is suppose is still possible.

They are bent over but per my point it is not unsolveable and the Oilers probably knew it was coming as it was reported that St Louis had been in discussion with Broberg and Holloways agents. There may be a trade in the works that we do not know about but this was no surprise to the Oilers, only to us fans.

Ceci can be traded and may not fetch much return if any now but it is what it is. Or they just match on Holloway and let Broberg go and take the 2nd along with the cap space and use it at the TDL to improve the D then.

That said for all the whining about this somehow being Bowmans fault, the real blame here is Holland who totally f***ed up Brobergs development track and that twit coach Woodcroft who wouldnt play Broberg or Holloway if they even breathed wrong.

Maybe but I don't trust Gregor.

I don't either but Friedman reported it as well.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The hard part is neither player is currently worth that salary, especially Broberg. But I also see both players as key pieces in the future.

For those saying "if we can get rid of Ceci, it would have happened already." No. There won't be an improvement on him out there until the trade deadline. It was reported that the Oilers could get a small asset in return for him, but they're hanging on to him for insurance purposes.

I think they should match the offer sheets, LTIR Kane and move on from Ceci.

However, my expectation is they let Broberg walk. If that's the case, a guy like Kemp should be getting ready for his opportunity.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can't help but think the Oilers just assumed they'd sign for cheap and went about other business. They definitely got caught and it isn't a great look.

We went from the summer of Jackson to the summer of George so quickly...
Again, and I keep seeing this from you guys, how is this the fault of Oilers management? I'm not understanding this.

Again, these guys weren't signing lowball offers knowing what could potentially be out there and what else can you do? Sign them for more than these offer sheets cost and not sign a few of the guys they signed in free agency? I don't understand what the issue is with Jackson, should he have forced Holloway and Broberg to sign cheap contracts?

The reality is that contracts like Nurse's, and the Campbell dead cap (the Campbell signing in the first place), are what makes teams vulnerable to offer sheets none of which are JJ's fault.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This is important. The qualifying offers for both are significant after these deals run their course. They are only two years long. I'm not sure about the arbitration rights.

Let them go.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Match Holloway and trade his selfish ass, let Broberg go. We were 1 game away from the cup and these losers wanna go play for a team on the downswing? Fine, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Ya gotta think they can do better than a 3rd for Holloway though.

You cant match and trade, players cant be traded for 1 year after signing an offer sheet. Broberg is getting 4 times what the Oilers were offering him. Holloway is getting double. At the end of the day this is a business as much as we fans dislike this aspect of the game.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
They said the same thing about Barrie...

True, but minus the Coffey love. That was really just an excuse for Holland's inaction in the end. I think our org has just always loved the "try hard" players. Even if they aren't doing much, if they always look like they are trying hard, that's good enough. Hope Bowman can see beyond all that.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Really can't blame these guys for taking the money, I probably would too if I was in their shoes and situation.

I'm curious if St Louis would have done this had Holland still been in charge? Maybe teams just don't give a f*** about screwing up Bowman.

Reactions: Blueswin

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
They are bent over but per my point it is not unsolveable and the Oilers probably knew it was coming as it was reported that St Louis had been in discussion with Broberg and Holloways agents. There may be a trade in the works that we do not know about but this was no surprise to the Oilers, only to us fans.

Ceci can be traded and may not fetch much return if any now but it is what it is. Or they just match on Holloway and let Broberg go and take the 2nd along with the cap space and use it at the TDL to improve the D then.

That said for all the whining about this somehow being Bowmans fault, the real blame here is Holland who totally f***ed up Brobergs development track and that twit coach Woodcroft who wouldnt play Broberg or Holloway if they even breathed wrong.

Friedman reported it as well.

We don't have any cap space savings though, at least against what we were expecting to have Holloway/Broberg signed to. We were expecting to sign them both for about ~2.5 M in total. That is basically replacement level salary. So if Savoie and Stetcher take their places, as examples, then our cap savings is about 500K.

The trade assets (the 3rd and 2nd) would be useable at the trade deadline for certain, but we don't really "gain" any cap from losing Holloway/Broberg.

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad