Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You don't have to convince me on the bad contracts. I've beaten those subjects to death. Just annoying that they're caught between a rock and a hard place on two young players who seemed to be finally coming alive and there's a good chance we're left with basically nothing. I think you could've let Perry and maybe Henrique walk, but either way there's no real good outcome to this.
Perry's contract was barely above league minimum and is buriable. Henrique was a key signing and even if you don't sign Henrique, the Oilers still didn't have enough to match the Broberg offer sheet.

I'll repeat. This is NOT Jeff Jackson's fault, there's zero logic in blaming him and for those saying that Armstrong was doing this to spite the Oilers because of the Bowman hiring go outside and breathe some fresh air ffs.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Puckpedia has the Oilers 7.2 mil over the cap with including both Broberg and Holloway's cap hits on it

with Kane going to LTIR and a Ceci trade, we could fit them in

Yeah, but why would we? lol. That is a massive overpayment for Broberg. Imagine a scenario where the Oilers announced signing Broberg for $4.6 x 2 years this morning. What do you think the reaction to that would be? People would LOSE. THEIR, MINDS. Rightfully so I would argue. We live in a hard cap world, and are up against the cap. We already have some overpays and cap penalties on the team, we can't afford another overpay.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the more I think about it, the more I think we keep Broberg over Holloway....you can never have enough good young defensemen

yes, he's "overpaid" but I think he blossoms into a legit top 4 defenseman by next year

Holloway isn't a great scorer and is replaceable by Savoie, although he lacks the size of Holloway

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Broberg's value in Edmonton was in his cheap salary and developmental upside on a cash strapped window team. It's now gone. Think he gone.

I do not disagree but if you don't match do you show other teams you're willing to be steamrolled?

With the cap rising by leaps and bounds and many teams being this close to the cap cieling in the off season I imagine signing RFA's to offer sheets is going to become a thing?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
the more I think about it, the more I think we keep Broberg over Holloway....you can never have enough good young defensemen

yes, he's "overpaid" but I think he blossoms into a legit top 4 defenseman by next year

Holloway isn't a great scorer and is replaceable by Savoie, although he lacks the size of Holloway
We can’t afford to pay a bottom pairing D what Broberg wants.

Reactions: McBooya42

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Sort of confused why Army made this move, especially given the amount of defensemen we signed this offseason plus players we had before free agency. To my knowledge, I don't know if Armstrong had ever in his career offer-sheeted a player, let alone two. The only time I remember him being part of one was when Backes was offer-sheeted by the Canucks, but that was over a decade ago.

I understand the move strategically, but in like a moral/karma sense I don't personally like it. It's not like the Oilers are going to forget we offer-sheeted two of their players, but hey, we didn't really do anything to Vancouver. Whether or not they both come to St Louis, I hope they do well. Idk man, sorry guys

He’s a dumb asshole, IMO. These players aren’t worth the overpays, but your team can afford to do it. Feels like the Canes offersheet

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Yeah, but why would we? lol. That is a massive overpayment for Broberg. Imagine a scenario where the Oilers announced signing Broberg for $4.6 x 2 years this morning. What do you think the reaction to that would be? People would LOSE. THEIR, MINDS. Rightfully so I would argue. We live in a hard cap world, and are up against the cap. We already have some overpays and cap penalties on the team, we can't afford another overpay.
This can’t be stressed enough, if the oilers signed Broberg to this contract yesterday the outrage here would be massive. Why would you sign it today now? Most people thought you’d get both for less than $4.5. Let him go, he chose the money and found someone to give it to him.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I would let both walk, Savoie eats Holloway's lunch offensively, Broberg's contract is just untenable. Oh well, but something better with those picks.
Ya, what we need, lose another forward with offensive ability and bigger body/physical presence for a 5'9" player.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
We can trade these players to another team that would accept the OS right? like our hands aren't completely tied with accepting a 2nd for broberg

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
How can anyone blame Broberg or call him selfish and how can you point fingers at the front office? You are assuming they would have signed for much less if offers were made earlier, you have no idea what was offered to date. This is what happens when you are a cup contending team with stars and a hard salary cap, you can’t add pieces then keep everyone. Someone has to step up to replace Broberg, Holloway maybe they can keep.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
and we can't afford to lose defensive depth either...it's the reason we beat the Stars in the playoffs
Broberg has a ton of potential to be a top 4, in fact...I see him playing there next year

Holloway is meh...probably max's out as a 3rd liner with 20 goals and speed to burn...we've got replacement for him

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I do not disagree but if you don't match do you show other teams you're willing to be steamrolled?

With the cap rising by leaps and bounds and many teams being this close to the cap cieling in the off season I imagine signing RFA's to offer sheets is going to become a thing?
Do you really feel that not matching sends that message? That not wanting to overpay your two young players who were offersheeted is being steamrolled?

Reactions: Oilslick941611

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
f*** both of those guys, you potentially have your leaders discussing taking less and these 2 losers sign an offer sheet.

So much for trying to keep a team together with cheaper parts.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I can understand why Broberg signed that offer-sheet - way too much money to pass up. Expectations for him are going to go wayyyy up though. Maybe he's ready for that big of a step, or maybe not, but they really can't shelter him at all on St Louis.

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad