Post-Game Talk: Oilers are good at shootouts now?

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
I don’t even think the 3rd goal was bad. It was a top corner clapper through a guys legs. It’s just at some point you need to make a difficult stop. Especially in big moments.
Didn't it go just above his pad and in between his arm and ribs? It was a low shot to the corner.

In the end, other goalies just somehow get it done. Maybe they fluke out alot, maybe they challenge shooters more, etc. They somehow make stops.

Skinner is close or at the bottom in goals saved above expected

yup, I'm done with McLeod
0 goals and yet they keep rolling him out there
I haven't even hated him much the last two games as much as I usually hate him lol. He is actaully being gritty most of the time. The guy can't contribute worth sh** though.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Didn't it go just above his pad and in between his arm and ribs? It was a low shot to the corner.

In the end, other goalies just somehow get it done. Maybe they fluke out alot, maybe they challenge shooters more, etc. They somehow make stops.

Skinner is close or at the bottom in goals saved above expected

Amazing how advanced stats are dismissed when things are good and are the bible when things are bad.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Despite the two blunders it was a great game, we deserved to win and we did.

Good teams find ways to win!!’

Reactions: Oilhawks

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
In multiple of those games we didn't give up much of anything. Games where opponents got essentially nothing but muff shots on net.

So you're counting a .906 game just for perspective and so he's above in 7 of the games this season, he's played 16. Thats good?

Calgary, Seattle, NYI, Wash, Anaheim were anemic opponents. Thats 5 of the overs..

I'm not providing a narrative, I'm simply saying 7 games were above that SV%.

Also I'm not getting into this argument with you because it goes nowhere.
Oooh, a Drivesaitl and an OfCorsiDid argument. I will pay attention to this one!

GifMeme 28112023105407.gif

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I have retyped my response to this several times because of how silly this opinion is.

League average SV% is .904.

An AVERAGE goalie gets us far.

Expecting Vasilveskiy goaltending every night is ridiculous.
No one is expecting elite goaltending every night. But you arguing that .905 on any given night is good goaltending is ridiculous. Even if you want to argue that .904 sv% is good enough, that is averaging across all games, good and bad. Skinner is rocking an .876 right now. He's one of the very worst goalies in the league.

I'm so sick of seeing charts like this after every game and the Oilers either lose or barely squeak out a win.

1701237250281.png

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If we have either of the Flames goalies this is 4-0 or 4-1. Just what it is. AGain Knights had several times as many quality scoring chances last night, breakaways, odd man rushes, they got one goal past Calgary back up Vladar.

We don't even have one valid goalie. I'd still play Pickard by default.
You're aware vladar has a .883 on the season right? and was a .895 last year.

Hes worse than Skinner.

Check out that puck tracking and look how well he covers the net on that cross.

Here comes our savior!

Puck was shot dead center of the net and he still couldnt get over to save it.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
No one is expecting elite goaltending every night. But you arguing that .905 on any given night is good goaltending is ridiculous. Even if you want to argue that .904 sv% is good enough, that is averaging across all games, good and bad. Skinner is rocking an .876 right now. He's one of the very worst goalies in the league.

I'm so sick of seeing charts like this after every game and the Oilers either lose or barely squeak out a win.

View attachment 774969

Using Moneypuck xG is part of the problem.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Disregard the goaltending, the Oilers look awesome right now. They are consistently outplaying teams, they've played a full 60 three consecutive games, and really should've won at least two games on that Florida trip. Sure Vegas was on a back to back, but the Oilers completely dominated them all game. That's a great sign.

I have a lot of faith in this team right now, they're absolutely rolling. Tonight didn't feel like any less of a win because it went to OT. In a normal season a game like this is the type of game that great teams lose, because you can't win every game. The Oil are going to smoke a lot of teams if they keep playing like this.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Amazing how advanced stats are dismissed when things are good and are the bible when things are bad.
Ok screw all the advanced stats.

Do you think Edmonton goes anywhere with Skinner as their #1?

That is the only question the upstairs people need to be asking themselves.

I don't think so. I hope he can slowly improve. He's young. He isn't ready though to carry this team anywhere

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
My 2 ¢ from tonight if anyone cares and nobody should lol - Refs just sucked, McLoed just sucked, fire them both into the sun - but Skinner - holy f*** am I done with him as a starter.

Skinner in net after more than 2 games in a row and you know it’s 4-5 going in guaranteed. He’s a middling backup and can’t be relied upon to play more than 6 periods of hockey without tiring out. It’s like he’s 75 years old or something. Even Stauffer was talking about it post game.

He doesn’t fight through screens at all. Ever. On Cross crease plays he’s a statue all the time. Never comes across on time meanwhile their backup played amazing other than the first goal and somehow manages to fight through screens. Skinner just stands there like an idiot - gee I can’t see the puck so I’ll just freeze.

Stauffer is 100% right. He can’t go more than 2 games without caving in. Need a goalie as he cannot handle a heavy workload. .852 save % tonight. Classic Skinner.

Good enough backup. Terrible starter.

Thank god we won.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
My 2 ¢ from tonight if anyone cares and nobody should lol - Refs just sucked, McLoed just sucked, fire them both into the sun - but Skinner - holy f*** am I done with him as a starter.

He doesn’t fight through screens at all. Ever. On Cross crease plays he’s a statue all the time. Never comes across on time meanwhile their backup played amazing other than the first goal and somehow manages to fight through screens. Skinner just stands there like an idiot - gee I can’t the puck so I’ll just freeze.

Stauffer is 100% right. He can’t go more than 2 games without caving in. Need a goalie as he cannot handle a heavy workload. .852 save % tonight. Classic Skinner.

Good enough backup. Terrible starter.

Thank god we won.
He just hopes the puck hits him half the time.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
McDavid now tied with Draisaitl at 28 points. So glad to have him back operating at full capacity.

12 points in 3 games. Not many can do that. Within 8 points of scoring race with 61 games to go. I like his odds.

All Time Great Records are back on the cards for McD. He’s so back. We’re so lucky to have him. He’s IS the franchise. We should never speak ill of him, ever.
Never ever. Strike me down if I ever do it again

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
I just watched all of the goals again

Goal #1. I did not know VEG tipped it up to Ekholms a**.

Goal #2 - That is 50/50. Pathetic how Vegas got one on one, but the shot was pretty crappy

Goal #3 - I think a goalie could have this one. He is deep and his angle not great.

Goal #4 - Fluke AF fast high pass tipped in like a baseball bunt from the air

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Listening to the post game show with Dusty Nielsen and Matt Kassian. Both guys saying Skinner was solid with an .852 save percentage. Holy hell the lengths these guys go to defend Skinner. Same guys were roasting Koskinen who had a better save percentage
Dude compared to the rest of the trash, yes he's been better whether you like it or not

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid now tied with Draisaitl at 28 points. So glad to have him back operating at full capacity.

12 points in 3 games. Not many can do that. Within 8 points of scoring race with 61 games to go. I like his odds.
Both Mcdavid/Drai are now back in the top 10 in scoring.

Might have trouble catching Kucherov who consistently scores at a very high rate too, but they'll easily pass the rest with the team rolling and playing better.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad