Post-Game Talk: Oilers are good at shootouts now?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
- Oilers fan circa January 15, 2006.
Difference this time is, while I've felt bad or a lot of the goalies along the way, I have no real pity for Skinner or Campbell this season. This feels like 2005 where they could have a prime Chris Pronger in front of them for 30 minutes a night and they'd still find a way to let in goals.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Imagine this team with an actual good goalie
If we have either of the Flames goalies this is 4-0 or 4-1. Just what it is. AGain Knights had several times as many quality scoring chances last night, breakaways, odd man rushes, they got one goal past Calgary back up Vladar.

We don't even have one valid goalie. I'd still play Pickard by default.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Those debating the goaltending, ask yourself this... Did Skinner make one, just one tough save tonight? The answer is no. The answer is always no.
Tonight no. I don’t think the Oilers gave up much. But he had big saves in recent games, some cross creasers and glove hand robs.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Listening to the post game show with Dusty Nielsen and Matt Kassian. Both guys saying Skinner was solid with an .852 save percentage. Holy hell the lengths these guys go to defend Skinner. Same guys were roasting Koskinen who had a better save percentage

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don’t even think the 3rd goal was bad. It was a top corner clapper through a guys legs. It’s just at some point you need to make a difficult stop. Especially in big moments.
I think this is a reasonable, fair assessment. Skinner has 1 shot against and then comes a high danger area shot through a screen. Still want your tender to find a big save in circumstances like that. He's got to start finding those big moment stops for this team.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yep he's never made a hard save ever.

This isn't recency bias, it's just bias. Again I ask, did he burn down your garage or something?

This isn't a logical analysis and has no basis in fact. This is just pure emotion.

I'm not even sure what the point of debating this is. Skinner is clearly the closest thing to an NHL goalie the Oilers have right now. They have to get him going until they are able to make a move for a goalie, which simply won't happen until the Oilers are back in a favourable position to negotiate. They would get absolutely bent in any deal for a goalie right now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I never said the last 5 games. I said 5 of the last 7 games
What kind of rat ass selected stat count is that?

Thats ridiculous. So Skinner gets credit for games where the Oilers don't give up any chances but lets remove the games where he's complete ass. He hasn't had 5 good games all season.

In the Caps and Ducks games we barely gave up any scoring chances.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Eh we're getting there. 4 points out of a playoff spot with 60 games left and a game in hand.

Playoffs are easily achievable.

But doesn't mean much if we keep stay the course with Skinner. I have no confidence in him at all.
I don't trust him either. I will say we keep him in the system even after aquiring another goalie at the trade deadline. He's in his sophomore year so I wouldn't give up on him so soon. Campbell is a lost cause though.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Fair enough, but the infractions were obvious and were happening to McDavid, Nuge, Kane, etc.

He fought the puck a bit, but when you're not getting clean touches its tough to get a feel for it.
our 4th line had the Knights pinned for an entire shift, Drai steps on, gets the puck, gives it away/lets it slip away to lose possession/momentum. He was killing plays and sloppy.
To me he simply had an off game.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
What kind of rat ass selected stat count is that?

Thats ridiculous. So Skinner gets credit for games where the Oilers don't give up any chances but lets remove the games where he's complete ass. He hasn't had 5 good games all season.

In the Caps and Ducks games we barely gave up any scoring chances.

He has has 7 games above .905.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
our 4th line had the Knights pinned for an entire shift, Drai steps on, gets the puck, gives it away/lets it slip away to lose possession/momentum.
To me he simply had an off game.

Again fair enough, as I said he was fighting it. Lack of clean touches can do that.

Reactions: ZJuice

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
Was looking dicey in there in the third thanks to the refs. Big win for the boyz. Keep the streak rollin!

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If we have either of the Flames goalies this is 4-0 or 4-1. Just what it is. AGain Knights had several times as many quality scoring chances last night, breakaways, odd man rushes, they got one goal past Calgary back up Vladar.

We don't even have one valid goalie. I'd still play Pickard by default.
That doesn't make any damn sense. Calvin Pickard hasn't put up a .900 in seven years. Skinner, whether you like him or not, was a good NHL goalie for most of last season.

I'd sooner see them give Olivier Rodrigue a chance than riding Calvin Pickard for any meaningful number of games. At least there's a chance he catches lightning in a bottle or something.

Reactions: Oil53 and guymez

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just a reminder for those have forgotten what high end goaltending that wins playoff rounds looks like

Even this guy could do stuff like this, seemed like having twins at home bombed his run here, but can you see Skinner doing this?

Skinner doesn't have the talent level of those guys.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This. Why do some think defensive breakdowns automatically absolve the goalie? If Skinner consistently stopped those chances, sure. But he has a penchant to let almost all of them in.
If you want to go all the way in the playoffs then some nights your goalie has to steal one and make saves where everybody says "how did that stay out" but it just doesn't happen with the Oil.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Right. He still had 3s to pick up the puck and make the save.

It was a floater from a guy with 23 shots in over 400 NHL games.

It was a routine wrister to be sure… but it emerges from Erne at the hash marks.

That’s twenty feet if he even picks it up (not certain). Routine wristers are 70mph, or 102 feet/second…

So about 0.2 seconds to pick it up, react and move his glove.

I’m not a skinner fan, but criticize the right goals, so that if we finally get a goalie we don’t run them out of town

Reactions: M Ace

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He has has 7 games above .905.
In multiple of those games we didn't give up much of anything. Games where opponents got essentially nothing but muff shots on net.

So you're counting a .906 game just for perspective and so he's above in 7 of the games this season, he's played 16. Thats good?

Calgary, Seattle, NYI, Wash, Anaheim were anemic opponents. Thats 5 of the overs..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad