Post-Game Talk: Oilers are good at shootouts now?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Whats the definition of bad. 4GA in first 20sog, again. Thats bad. Vegas haven't scored mroe than 1 goal in a game in weeks. They literally can't score and are not creating anything. Somehow they get 4 past slump buster Skinner.

I was saying yesterday they should just start Pickard.
I mean we just had an argument where you thought sending Campbell down was a mistake, and now you're a proponent of sitting Skinner in the biggest game of the season, after a decent stretch of games for him.

I don't disagree that the Oilers don't really have a good goalie right now. Skinner is up and down at best over the last ten, and Campbell can't get it going in the minors let alone the NHL. But until a move for a goalie opens up, you have to try to get Skinner going, as he's the best goalie in the system based on NHL results over the last year and a half. You can hate him all you want, but that is a fact.

A move for a goalie won't be possible until the Oilers are back in a good spot and no longer desperate. I think they're good enough to do it with Skinner (and hopefully Campbell at some point).

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Skinner has been shit since the 2023 playoffs started.

I mean it's probably not his fault, he's just not the tier of goalie you need if you want to be a legit contender.

Better to know this now anyway. Get someone else.

Well compared to our other goalies, Skinner is probably the best one we could go with now

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Yeah. Teams that win the cup so often have the next season problems. Success corrupts and their play has a lot of holes in it right now. The amount of times they fumbled around with the puck tonight losing it. wowsa. lets give Connor McDavid a clean breakaway, what a good idea, lol
Vegas and that clown Pietry can suck a bag of assholes. Hated them before they won with the way the league handed them a franchise. Then hated them for all the poor officiating during their games against the oilers because Bettman. Then hated them for the soft call on the suspensions. f*** em

I couldn’t wish a more timely death (figuratively speaking) than the Vegas knights

(Spits on ground)

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If goalies gave up goals on every shot that you can't blame them for letting in, NHL games would be 10-9 every night. Goalies are supposed to make tough saves too.

There are plenty of games where he absolutely blows it with his rebound control, or playing too deep in his net…

I’ll be the first to criticize those clear errors. I’m just giving the perspective of what he is seeing on that shot… you can’t stop what you don’t see (generally)

And that doesn’t mean you aren’t expected to snag a beautiful glove save on the occasional 2-1 cross ice… to your point also a tough save, but to my point, one you can see (and can anticipate)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I mean we just had an argument where you thought sending Campbell down was a mistake, and now you're a proponent of sitting Skinner in the biggest game of the season, after a decent stretch of games for him.

I don't disagree that the Oilers don't really have a good goalie right now. Skinner is up and down at best over the last ten, and Campbell can't get it going in the minors let alone the NHL. But until a move for a goalie opens up, you have to try to get Skinner going, as he's the best goalie in the system based on NHL results over the last year and a half. You can hate him all you want, but that is a fact.

A move for a goalie won't be possible until the Oilers are back in a good spot and no longer desperate. I think they're good enough to do it with Skinner (and hopefully Campbell at some point).
Pickard has been better than Skinner in both of his performances. It isn't a high bar. I was saying sit Skinner because Vegas characteristically shoot high. Its a bad combination.

Reactions: Keggatron

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He’s stepping up on players too like he should have been doing this whole time. Literally the best thing I saw in his game early was that ability to close space and use his once very good poke check. That part of his game seemed to disappear ever since the Bubble year. But it looks to be coming back in a big way now.

Hopefully Woodcroft's system didn't mesh with Nurse, because it would be nice if he could play better than whatever the heck he has been doing the last 18 months.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
f*** off Skinner. We get the win despite Skinner again being awful.

Vladar had a dozen harder stops to make last night. Vegas had negligible space and scoring chances all night but Skinner giving them a point. Just ridiculous goaltending. How can any team trust the goaltending?

if you watched the game last night you know how stark the contrast. Flames were awful giving Vegas tons of chances and they only got one. If Skinner was in Calgary net it would be double digits allowed last night.
Yeah. Vladar made a bunch of great saves. We did not give Vegas much of anything tonight.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Skinners good enough K. Not elite. But play a responsible game and minimize stupidity and we can win with this goalie.

Would it be better if we got Hellbucyk? Sure. But we gotta live in reality.

Reactions: Oil53

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well compared to our other goalies, Skinner is probably the best one we could go with now

Well in a way it's probably better he didn't show well tonight ... management is dumb enough probably to think he's the answer if they had won 4-2, now they got the 2 points but management gets cold water poured on their lap realizing they still need a goalie.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Hold on, I'm about to just own your ass.

And in those games he has 3 wins and 2 losses. As you stated LAST YEAR wins were the most important stat when I brought up SV% when you were defending Campbell. WINS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT. As such by your analysis Skinner is the superior goalie.

So either you were wrong about Campbell or you're a hypocrite.

Choose.

giphy.gif
Campbell would of gotten us 5 wins

• Haha
Reactions: McTonyBrar

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hopefully Woodcroft's system didn't mesh with Nurse, because it would be nice if he could play better than whatever the heck he has been doing the last 18 months.
I think he just needed someone in his ear like a Coffey to remind him why the Oilers wanted him so badly at the draft. He has a natural skill set that he just doesn’t use to its maximum potential. I think Coffey is trying to draw that out of him now.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Those debating the goaltending, ask yourself this... Did Skinner make one, just one tough save tonight? The answer is no. The answer is always no.

Yep he's never made a hard save ever.

This isn't recency bias, it's just bias. Again I ask, did he burn down your garage or something?

This isn't a logical analysis and has no basis in fact. This is just pure emotion.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think he just needed someone in his ear like a Coffey to remind him why the Oilers wanted him so badly at the draft. He has a natural skill set that he just doesn’t use to its maximum potential. I think Coffey is trying to draw that out of him now.

I think Woodcroft/Manson's system was overly chaotic for him and for a guy who doesn't think the game very fast it probably wasn't great for Darnell. It's too early to say how he does under KK/Coff.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think Woodcroft/Manson's system was overly chaotic for him and for a guy who doesn't think the game very fast it probably wasn't great for Darnell. It's too early to say how he does under KK/Coff.

Hmm good and interesting theory actually. The simplified and safer approach that Knob has brought should be easier for Nurse to succeed in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad