Post-Game Talk: Oilers are good at shootouts now?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Nurse has had a few great games here. Props where props are due. He was in the right places and had a bit of his nastier side back
I dunno, maybe Manson was getting him to play a style that was away from what made Nurse successful at the position.

If Cofflauch can get him to keep this up, I'll be happier about him.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
In multiple of those games we didn't give up much of anything. Games where opponents got essentially nothing but muff shots on net.

So you're counting a .906 game just for perspective and so he's above in 7 of the games this season, he's played 16. Thats good?

Calgary, Seattle, NYI, Wash, Anaheim were anemic opponents. Thats 5 of the overs..

I'm not providing a narrative, I'm simply saying 7 games were above that SV%.

Also I'm not getting into this argument with you because it goes nowhere.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Really? Thompson didn’t even know he’d spilled the rebound on Janmark’s goal he thought he had it trapped against his chest and complained for interference… he was clueless there.

He also dropped at least two unscreened catchable shots that he simply palmed… he certainly didn’t put on a clinic
I’ve seen Thompson play 3 games in the last couple weeks and he’s been awful in all of them. Vegas is lucky they stumbled onto Hill or they’d be in just as bad a shape as we’re in.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thought that was our best game of the year.

The non-calls leading up to the two Vegas goals in the end were so egregious that I don’t even fault anyone for them, especially the first one when Erne got sucked out of position for no reason other than his stick was slashed out of his hand.

The penalty kill is back (bad PKs follow Woodcroft around like flies on shit) and we seem to be playing the game with a refreshing degree of simplicity. Pucks out, pucks in, win the races to the end boards on both sides. Easy.

4th line was awesome tonight. Another week or two of this from Hamblin and he can stay up. Erne showing something the last few games as well. He was noticeable the whole night.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That doesn't make any damn sense. Calvin Pickard hasn't put up a .900 in seven years. Skinner, whether you like him or not, was a good NHL goalie for most of last season.

I'd sooner see them give Olivier Rodrigue a chance than riding Calvin Pickard for any meaningful number of games. At least there's a chance he catches lightning in a bottle or something.
Goalies are different from one season to the next. Other than elite or quality goalies this is almost the rule. What Skinner was last year (and I think its overrated) has little bearing on him being shit ever since. Awful in playoffs (among league worst goalies.) awful in preseason, and awful this far into this season. This is a long period now of being bad. At what point do we stop hanging onto last season? its been several months, since April 2023 that he's been sufficient.

Reactions: TheSuperElite

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
When I critique Drai people disagree with my post. haha, mark it down. Just kind of funny. Normally I'm accused of defending him unconditionally.
I'm one of his biggest defenders and I've been very disappointed with him this year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
In multiple of those games we didn't give up much of anything. Games where opponents got essentially nothing but muff shots on net.

So you're counting a .906 game just for perspective and so he's above in 7 of the games this season, he's played 16. Thats good?

Calgary, Seattle, NYI, Wash, Anaheim were anemic opponents. Thats 5 of the overs..
Beyond that, in what world is .905 the bar for good goaltending? If you had a goalie averaging a .905 sv% across a full season he's a garbage goalie.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Skinner went straight off the ice and didn’t do his stupid hi5 with VD. Vinny looked like he was gonna cry.
Probably mad at Desharnais for going for the big hit instead of defending the man with puck or taking a passing lane on the third goal.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
No thank you.
Campbell's cooking:

A1AMQUC+wzL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That doesn't make any damn sense. Calvin Pickard hasn't put up a .900 in seven years. Skinner, whether you like him or not, was a good NHL goalie for most of last season.

I'd sooner see them give Olivier Rodrigue a chance than riding Calvin Pickard for any meaningful number of games. At least there's a chance he catches lightning in a bottle or something

Skinner has promise. Pickard doesnt. With Campbell not helping at all once again Skinners development is more important than ever right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I’ve seen Thompson play 3 games in the last couple weeks and he’s been awful in all of them. Vegas is lucky they stumbled onto Hill or they’d be in just as bad a shape as we’re in.

This was my first and I was not impressed. He does not look like an NHL goalie.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Beyond that, in what world is .905 the bar for good goaltending? If you had a goalie averaging a .905 sv% across a full season he's a garbage goalie.
Who knows really. Its low bar under with Skinner. Actually anything 2 feet lower than bar is in tonight. Still laughing how many times Vegas missed net.

The absolving of skinner here any and every night is something else.

Vegas scored as many goals tonight as they have collectively the last couple weeks. Opponents should pay Skinner for contract bumps.

Reactions: iCanada

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I have retyped my response to this several times because of how silly this opinion is.

League average SV% is .904.

An AVERAGE goalie gets us far.

Expecting Vasilveskiy goaltending every night is ridiculous.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Goalies are different from one season to the next. Other than elite or quality goalies this is almost the rule. What Skinner was last year (and I think its overrated) has little bearing on him being shit ever since. Awful in playoffs (among league worst goalies.) awful in preseason, and awful this far into this season. This is a long period now of being bad. At what point do we stop hanging onto last season? its been several months, since April 2023 that he's been sufficient.
I don't disagree with this point, but Calvin Pickard has been consistently bad for a long time now. I guess we can try him but I don't know if it makes much sense coming off of two dominating wins with the other guy in net.

Frankly, they have to get Skinner going. Just like they had to get Smith going. If he never gets going, then the Oil aren't going to be able to bring anyone else better in anyway.

To be clear, I'm not a huge Skinner fan, I agree with you on many points. I would love for Campbell to put together 5 good AHL games in a row, because I guarantee that once he does that he'll be back up and maybe they can give him a shot. But it's just not a reality right now.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
The only goal I think Skinner should've stopped is the third goal. The 4th goal the guy was wide open. I'm not saying he's been stellar. But he's gotten a shutout this season and, I believe, the most wins.

He's not been great but he's better than Pickard or what's his name in the AHL
We are all arguing about which triplet ugly a** sister is the most beautiful lol. We need to date somebody outside of those 3

For now, you just gotta put a paper bag over her head and getter dun

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't disagree with this point, but Calvin Pickard has been consistently bad for a long time now. I guess we can try him but I don't know if it makes much sense coming off of two dominating wins with the other guy in net.

Frankly, they have to get Skinner going. Just like they had to get Smith going. If he never gets going, then the Oil aren't going to be able to bring anyone else better in anyway.

To be clear, I'm not a huge Skinner fan, I agree with you on many points. I would love for Campbell to put together 5 good AHL games in a row, because I guarantee that once he does that he'll be back up and maybe they can give him a shot. But it's just not a reality right now.
Well put.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad