Post-Game Talk: Oilers are good at shootouts now?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Goaltending isn’t math.

Explain to me what mistakes Skinner made on those goals.

The team played great, no doubt, but you can’t blame Skinner on any of those goals either… they are what they were, screened, deflections or both.

This is the NHL not beer league.

Goalies are expected to stop some scoring chances. We NEVER get that from Skinner.

Reactions: frag2 and iCanada

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Goaltending isn’t math.

The team played great, no doubt, but you can’t blame Skinner on any of those goals either… they are what they were, screened, deflections or both.
He literally moves out of the path of goal 3

Reactions: frag2 and iCanada

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't think the third goal was bad, Erne completely screened the release and the puck went through his legs. 9/10 that shot is blocked.

I don't think Skinner is a good goalie right now, but that game going to OT was just a fluke. Oilers dominated, we're back.
Even with the screen, he has to have that one, make a tough save for the team

Reactions: iCanada

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Goaltending isn’t math.

You're not a starter if you can't make a save on any of those. Not on a team that wants to win in the playoffs anyway.

That's fine, he can't make those saves, well then you have to bump his ass out and find someone else that will stop one or two of those.

Reactions: iCanada

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Goaltending isn’t math.

Goalies aren’t expected to save screened shots or deflections? Thompson must not have gotten the memo.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
You clearly didn’t watch the replay closely enough, it goes right through Erne’s wickets…. Very difficult to pick up

Right. He still had 3s to pick up the puck and make the save.

It was a floater from a guy with 23 shots in over 400 NHL games.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Goaltending isn’t math.

If goalies gave up goals on every shot that you can't blame them for letting in, NHL games would be 10-9 every night. Goalies are supposed to make tough saves too.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
When I critique Drai people disagree with my post. haha, mark it down. Just kind of funny. Normally I'm accused of defending him unconditionally.

Fair enough, but the infractions were obvious and were happening to McDavid, Nuge, Kane, etc.

He fought the puck a bit, but when you're not getting clean touches its tough to get a feel for it.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Its not as if Skinner was bad but once again I thought he was the second best goalie on the ice--that shouldn't happen almost every night.
Whats the definition of bad. 4GA in first 20sog, again. Thats bad. Vegas haven't scored mroe than 1 goal in a game in weeks. They literally can't score and are not creating anything. Somehow they get 4 past slump buster Skinner.

I was saying yesterday they should just start Pickard.

Reactions: subnet and iCanada

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Am I the only one seeing something good with this team? Defensively we've been decent. We've been allowing less high danger scoring chances and, yes Skinner hasn't been the best, but he's better than what we have. We just won 3 straight and 1 against one of the top teams and the Stanley Cup Winner from last year. Why is everyone complaining this much?
I’m seeing some good but I need to see it more consistently.

I was skeptical of the Knob hire but I have to say I think he’s got them playing better in a few different ways. I like his lineup choices and deployment lately as well. Hopefully he can keep building.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Really its hilarious to me that Vegas miss both shots in shootout and fire puck wide on the open looks they did get. Hilarious because all you have to do is hit upper net. Its not Science. Marshassault, Eichel, Stone just playing awful. Kinda funny to see.
I'm kind of wondering if the Stanley Cup hangover is starting to rear it's pretty head. Vegas has been swamp ass the last 10 games and I don't mind it one bit. I hate them as much as the flames now

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Goalies aren’t expected to save screened shots or deflections? Thompson must have not gotten the memo.

Really? Thompson didn’t even know he’d spilled the rebound on Janmark’s goal he thought he had it trapped against his chest and complained for interference… he was clueless there.

He also dropped at least two unscreened catchable shots that he simply palmed… he certainly didn’t put on a clinic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad