Post-Game Talk: Oilers are good at shootouts now?

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Throw this goaltending tandem in the trash, I'd honestly be open to just dumping both of our goalies, lol. Of course with Campbell it will sadly probably have to be a buy out (which I'm not fan of).
As I mentioned earlier, I'd keep Skinner in the system (2nd year NHLer) but Campbell is in a free fall. The guy has had confidence issues since his time with the Leafs. This whole situation is a shame for all involved really. That's our "David Clarkson" "bullet dodged" coming back to bite us.

Reactions: RegDunlop

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
- Oilers fan circa January 15, 2006.
I still remember Mac T talking to the media less than 2 hours before we got Roloson. Softening everybody talking about sometimes you gotta give up something big for a guy who can put up a consistent 920. It started rough for Rollie, but boy did he help carry us. Still hurts that he got injured.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Didn’t get to see the game but saw the highlights afterward. Great to see that McDavid is back to true form! As he goes the team goes. We still need a goalie though. A couple of the goals were weak sauce and we can’t rely on the offense having to score 5+ per game all the time. A win is a win though and I’m stoked we beat the LTIR Knights :nod:

Reactions: frag2 and subnet

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We can’t win in the playoffs with skinner. Not anything meaningful. At least not at his current level n
You’re probably right, but I think there’s a chance still. We were a chaotic clown show for large parts of these playoff runs too…. I’d like to see what we could do without the chaos and with this simplified approach to the game.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
It's sad - they mostly played so well yet it feels like a loss.
If the Oilers can play D like they have lately overall, this year for me will feel like the 2006 year where we knew we could do damage with a good goalie. Not a great goalie. The PK is over 90% under tthe Knob. Was low 70's under the Wood. Wood went limp there.

People hate Brown, but he has been good on the PK.

If pre-season Campbell comes back we make the playoffs and the boys will take the bus to games just so they can spend more time together
It must be a mental thing, because I had high hopes after I watched Campbell in pre-season. He looked so confident lol. Then the games get real and he just falters.

Reactions: Faelko

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the Oilers can play D like they have lately overall, this year for me will feel like the 2006 year where we knew we could do damage with a good goalie. Not a great goalie. The PK is over 90% under tthe Knob. Was low 70's under the Wood. Wood went limp there.

People hate Brown, but he has been good on the PK.

KK says he has nothing to do with the PK, lol, so kudos to whoever made the changes.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
I wasn't on this board in 2006 but were there people stanning hard for Ty Conklin?
No. We were all pi**ed all year. Man Mac T took Conklin out in the shootout one game and threw Morrison in lollll. COnklin chucked his helmet.

We played good D. We fought hard. Played gritty. You could just tell we just needed a reliable goalie. We were playing the game right.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No. We were all pi**ed all year. Man Mac T took Conklin out in the shootout one game and threw Morrison in lollll. COnklin chucked his helmet.

We played good D. We fought hard. Played gritty. You could just tell we just needed a reliable goalie. We were playing the game right.

The Morrison switch in shootouts was hilarious.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
I wasn't on this board in 2006 but were there people stanning hard for Ty Conklin?
I do remember one off season though where Conklin played for the US. Oiler fans were stanning for him then lol. i don't know if that was going into 2005/2006? I forgot

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You're aware vladar has a .883 on the season right? and was a .895 last year.

Hes worse than Skinner.

Puck was shot dead center of the net and he still couldnt get over to save it.
Calgary gaves up way more scoring chances than we do. Despite what clown Snet commentators have to say. Vladar was better last night than any oiler goalie performance since last season. Only thing close being Campbells game against nashville. Calgary gave up 4 breakaways yesterday. Think about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
My 2 ¢ from tonight if anyone cares and nobody should lol - Refs just sucked, McLoed just sucked, fire them both into the sun - but Skinner - holy f*** am I done with him as a starter.

Skinner in net after more than 2 games in a row and you know it’s 4-5 going in guaranteed. He’s a middling backup and can’t be relied upon to play more than 6 periods of hockey without tiring out. It’s like he’s 75 years old or something. Even Stauffer was talking about it post game.

He doesn’t fight through screens at all. Ever. On Cross crease plays he’s a statue all the time. Never comes across on time meanwhile their backup played amazing other than the first goal and somehow manages to fight through screens. Skinner just stands there like an idiot - gee I can’t see the puck so I’ll just freeze.

Stauffer is 100% right. He can’t go more than 2 games without caving in. Need a goalie as he cannot handle a heavy workload. .852 save % tonight. Classic Skinner.

Good enough backup. Terrible starter.

Thank god we won.
This is what I always see. He does not "fight". He moves like he is wearing 500 pounds of equipment in there. On screens, he just sits there.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Skinners good enough K. Not elite. But play a responsible game and minimize stupidity and we can win with this goalie.

Would it be better if we got Hellbucyk? Sure. But we gotta live in reality.
Sorry but Skinner converted a game that we win 90% of the time with even ordinary goaltending and turned it into OT.

like others have said Vegas had as many goals as legit scoring chances in game. Fortunately most of the time the Knights missed the net on better chances.

Really the Vegas offense has been so putrid its absolutely amazing for them to get 4 goals. its tonic for them. Opponents should pay the Oilers to start Skinner. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You’re probably right, but I think there’s a chance still. We were a chaotic clown show for large parts of these playoff runs too…. I’d like to see what we could do without the chaos and with this simplified approach to the game.
WE played a letter perfect game, close as they come and the stooge let in 4 goals. Half the teams in the league this is a shutout or 1GA. Vegas had NOTHING going.

To put into perspective how awful Vegas offense has been they scored only 3Goals in last 4 GP. They scored 4 tonight. Even though they had as little going on tonight as they have the last couple weeks. Vegas are struggling immensely offensively and they pumped 4 by Skinner. Theres no other word than slumpbuster.

Reactions: subnet and Ibanez

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not going to defend this year's iteration of Campbell, but last playoffs, Campbell single handedly saved the series against LA

Yeah in a period and a half. That's all. What else did he do? Nothing.

My 2 ¢ from tonight if anyone cares and nobody should lol - Refs just sucked, McLoed just sucked, fire them both into the sun - but Skinner - holy f*** am I done with him as a starter.

Skinner in net after more than 2 games in a row and you know it’s 4-5 going in guaranteed. He’s a middling backup and can’t be relied upon to play more than 6 periods of hockey without tiring out. It’s like he’s 75 years old or something. Even Stauffer was talking about it post game.

He doesn’t fight through screens at all. Ever. On Cross crease plays he’s a statue all the time. Never comes across on time meanwhile their backup played amazing other than the first goal and somehow manages to fight through screens. Skinner just stands there like an idiot - gee I can’t see the puck so I’ll just freeze.

Stauffer is 100% right. He can’t go more than 2 games without caving in. Need a goalie as he cannot handle a heavy workload. .852 save % tonight. Classic Skinner.

Good enough backup. Terrible starter.

Thank god we won.
I disagree. Lots of you guys are ripping him for 2 goals today. One which he should've had and one that was impossible. You guys never comment on any of the saves he has made. You don't get a shutout by luck. The team has also won with Skinner in net and not the rest of the garbage in net. That's not a coincidence or luck.

Reactions: RegDunlop

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
WE played a letter perfect game, close as they come and the stooge let in 4 goals. Half the teams in the league this is a shutout or 1GA. Vegas had NOTHING going.

To put into perspective how awful Vegas offense has been they scored only 3Goals in last 4 GP. They scored 4 tonight. Even though they had as little going on tonight as they have the last couple weeks. Vegas are struggling immensely offensively and they pumped 4 by Skinner. Theres no other word than slumpbuster.
We did, but they had a bit of puck luck though. But overall Vegas was trash tonight and Skinner should have done better.

The thing is though, when shopping for Skinner replacement were going to be shopping in the bargain bin. I doubt we find a goalie better than Skinner.

This Pietro head snap is really something else. Deserves an Oscar.

Attachments

• PIETROHEADSNAP.mp4
    9.1 MB

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah in a period and a half. That's all. What else did he do? Nothing.

I disagree. Lots of you guys are ripping him for 2 goals today. One which he should've had and one that was impossible. You guys never comment on any of the saves he has made. You don't get a shutout by luck. The team has also won with Skinner in net and not the rest of the garbage in net. That's not a coincidence or luck.

I don’t think you read my post. I said was Skinner is a backup not a starter who fades after a couple games, a point made by Stauffer post game as well and the evidence is clearly there to support it.

He cannot handle a starters load. Today he made some saves but nothing big. His .857 today is below average and he cannot fight through screens, something every NHL starter must do.

His stats speak for themselves. As I said, a good backup but he’s not a starter.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
PK has been great and I love that you can see the players clearing it with second guessing themselves for the first time in a long time.

Just GET IT THE f*** OUT!

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Does this league really need to suck this bad?

1701244078093.png

1701244101240.png

1701244190709.png

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Good post game interview with Ekholm. He's always pretty direct and shares some early-ish impressions of Coffey's coaching and who's hiring has been controversial.

Credit too to Mark Stuart for a rejuvenated PK which has been great. And a missed game shoutout to Janmark who's steady two-way game I love. Buzzed the blue paint for a big goal and solid support on a buzzing McDavid led line. Very solid PK work getting in lanes and using his anticipation to turnover pucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad