Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Roby Jarventie and 4th round pick for Xavier Bourgualt and Jake Chiasson

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's not just the ice time; it's also playing with players who can excel together. Like another poster said XG was playing with Caggiula and Pederson, NHL skillsets aren't going to develop and flourish under those conditions.

Will be interesting to see if anything changes, Playing Savoie with similar players would be criminal.

And now they're RFAs when they finally break the roster. Yay, well done on player development and maximizing ELCs.

Cagguila and Pedersen are pretty good AHL players. I'm not sure what you're expecting.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I imagine if Petrov doesn't up his game this season then he will be the next to exit. It sounds like the new philosophy says "overripen" or even "wait to ripen" is out.

When I saw Petrov in junior he had a tremendous shot and quick release. Maybe he gets more of a chance to use it this season in Bako.

Reactions: ManByng

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Cagguila and Pedersen are pretty good AHL players. I'm not sure what you're expecting.

This. In the AHL, you're never gonna get top flight talent to work with regardless anyway. I mean, unless we were a rebuilding team and we shoved all our top prospects down at once [ala lockout with Hall Ebs Nuge Schultz]

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's not just Bourgault; all of our recent prospects were not given top 6/top pair ice time. Even Holloway and Broberg were slow-played, pushed to lower lines/pairings, and kept down for seasons before they finally forced their way to the NHL club.
This really isn't true.

Lavoie and Tullio spent almost the entire season in the top6. Bourgault was given tons opportunity in the top6 and on the #1PP. Wanner played big minutes for them. The only guy that didn't get a shot up the lineup was Petrov, but he was really raw and Chaulk made it his goal to round out his game to be a pro first.

Holloway and Broberg were both staples on the 1st line/1st pairing in Bako.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I'd say third or fourth behind Savoie, O'Reilly and maybe Akey.
Yikes, that's probably the league's worst prospect pool. Btw, there used to be a website, where different organizations were ranked on their prospects' quality. What was it?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yikes, that's probably the league's worst prospect pool. Btw, there used to be a website, where different organizations were ranked on their prospects' quality. What was it?
Not even close. We are in the middle of the pack. For a team that's favorite to win the cup, that's actually very good

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
hey oilers fans, where would you put Jarventie in your prospect rank?

For the Sens he probably would have been our 5th best prospect.
Most seem to have him ranked 4th or 5th, depending on how much the person making the rankings likes Raphael Lavoie.

It isn't the greatest prospect pool, but we have also traded a number of picks and prospects in the past few years to bolster the big club and put us in contender status. We also have a poor history of drafting from our last GM, so there's that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
it takes goalies longer and how many games in the NHL do the guys we got in the trade have? 0. When the trade happened, those who were happy were saying that XB would have 2 seasons under his belt by Wall made the NHL.

Wall is the second best goalie prospect not in the NHL right now
XB was a bad draft pick, but passing on Wallstedt wasn't the issue. Drafting goalies in the first round is such a crap shoot. Even with Wallstedt being a good prospect so far, there's still no guarantee that he can become an NHL goalie. Trading down and using both picks on duds was the issue, especially if some in the organization wanted Wyatt Johnston and Holland took XB anyway. That's a much tougher pill to swallow for me. Even then, most draft picks in the 20's don't turn into anything. It would be nice if we had more prospects hit more regularly of course, but getting upset over one pick is a bit silly.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
We are definitely not swimming in prospects but keep in mind our top 2 prospects just graduated to the big league.

Also a top contending team having a 9th overall pick loaded in the chamber is a nice thing to have.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
This really isn't true.

Lavoie and Tullio spent almost the entire season in the top6. Bourgault was given tons opportunity in the top6 and on the #1PP. Wanner played big minutes for them. The only guy that didn't get a shot up the lineup was Petrov, but he was really raw and Chaulk made it his goal to round out his game to be a pro first.

Holloway and Broberg were both staples on the 1st line/1st pairing in Bako.
Holloway and Broberg were slow played in earlier seasons.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Honestly, its not that bad. You may want to look at some teams like Vegas or even Colorado.
We are definitely not swimming in prospects but keep in mind our top 2 prospects just graduated to the big league.

Also a top contending team having a 9th overall pick loaded in the chamber is a nice thing to have.
Here is an assessment of teh Oiler's prospect pool done for the Hockey News:

Mentioning that it was for the Hockey News should give one a clue of what I think of the assessment. I remember when the Hockey News was pretty much the goto source for Hockey Info. Not even close anymore.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
This trade highlighted how poorly Keith Gretzky is running Bakersfield and/or Colin Chaulk is deploying our prospects.

Bourgault played most of the year on the third line, with players like Cagguila, Griffith, McKegg, and Pederson getting first—and second-line ice time ahead of him.

Which results in trading a first-round pick with a promise for cents on the dollar.

Maybe this is part of Holland's slow-play strategy with prospects, which changes with a new GM? Something has to give. Bakersfield need to prioritize prospect development, not pushing grinders and AHL veterans.
Dont completely disagree with you, but at what point do you make accountability a priority over draft position? If this kid didn't earn top six, you can't gift him it. Obviously Jackson agreed with Chaulk seeing as how he rehired him.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
XB was a bad draft pick, but passing on Wallstedt wasn't the issue. Drafting goalies in the first round is such a crap shoot. Even with Wallstedt being a good prospect so far, there's still no guarantee that he can become an NHL goalie. Trading down and using both picks on duds was the issue, especially if some in the organization wanted Wyatt Johnston and Holland took XB anyway. That's a much tougher pill to swallow for me. Even then, most draft picks in the 20's don't turn into anything. It would be nice if we had more prospects hit more regularly of course, but getting upset over one pick is a bit silly.
When you get past about 20--all picks are crap shots now. Comes down to development. Wall was the best prospect on the board when we did the trade.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I imagine if Petrov doesn't up his game this season then he will be the next to exit. It sounds like the new philosophy says "overripen" or even "wait to ripen" is out.

When I saw Petrov in junior he had a tremendous shot and quick release. Maybe he gets more of a chance to use it this season in Bako.
I've said it before. Petrov's strength is in transition. His bump passes are always on point. Yes, he's a great shooter. But he distributes the puck effortlessly. I really hope the Oilers take their time with him, especially now that they've drafted his former linemate.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I've said it before. Petrov's strength is in transition. His bump passes are always on point. Yes, he's a great shooter. But he distributes the puck effortlessly. I really hope the Oilers take their time with him, especially now that they've drafted his former linemate.
You never want to give up on guys too soon.

Look at how many guys wanted both Bouchard and Broberg gone before it became obvious that they were NHL'ers?

Who is the line mate they drafted?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You never want to give up on guys too soon.

Look at how many guys wanted both Bouchard and Broberg gone before it became obvious that they were NHL'ers?

Who is the line mate they drafted?
They drafted Dalyn Wakely. A late bloomer who's probably going back to the O for his overage season.

I've also been pushing for them to trade for his other former linemate, Brandon Coe, who SJ just re-signed. And Bourgault, Tullio and Chiasson moving out may open up a hole at RW.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I also think Petrov can be more than just a boom-bust scorer. The way he transitioned his game from year to year was very impressive for me. I think he could end up being an effective bottom six player in time because I get the sense that he can play the game in a variety of ways.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It'll be interesting to see where Jarventie plays in Bako.

Sounds like he played his best hockey at center, but with Chaulk saying they see Savoie as a center, there's going to be a handful of top9 centers down there already. Pederson, Savoie, Philp, Grubbe, etc

I wonder if they're expecting Pederson to compete for the #4C spot.

Reactions: Canovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I can see Jarventie working really well with either Drai or McDavid. Based on his highlights, he likes to one time the puck. His strength is definitely his shots(wrist and slap shot).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's not just Bourgault; all of our recent prospects were not given top 6/top pair ice time. Even Holloway and Broberg were slow-played, pushed to lower lines/pairings, and kept down for seasons before they finally forced their way to the NHL club.
Wasn't Broberg playing like 27 minutes a night in all situations when he was sent down?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Tough to say. Petrov being a late round draft pick has never really had a ton of value to begin with. So a guy like him if he sticks around for another 2-3 years and becomes nothing you don't exactly lose much. That and generally speaking you expect a guy taken in the 6th round to take longer to develop

Bourgault however with another bad year in Bakersfield then becomes an asset that once had value to a guy that has no value.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
They drafted Dalyn Wakely. A late bloomer who's probably going back to the O for his overage season.

I've also been pushing for them to trade for his other former linemate, Brandon Coe, who SJ just re-signed. And Bourgault, Tullio and Chiasson moving out may open up a hole at RW.
To the Oilers credit they did draft teammates Sam O’Reilly and William Nicholl from London Knights and both should get prime minutes on the top 2 lines this year as a number of 20 year olds are moving on.

Reactions: belair

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta

Im glad the Oilers are starting to move out guys that haven’t been effective in the AHL like Bourgault, Tullio, Chaisson and Carter Savoie! I as well feel that Petrov is on his last chance in the AHL, even though he’s still got 2 years left on his ELC. Some good management from Jackson!! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Mr Positive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad