OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Well they chose to keep JuJu and Skyy Moore over him. He’s a liability.
They have more depth at WR than we do.

Calvin Austin averaged less than two touches per game and was 18th out of 23 qualified returners last year in punt return average. What exactly does he do for this team?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Calvin Austin averaged less than two touches per game and was 18th out of 23 qualified returners last year in punt return average. What exactly does he do for this team?
He doesn’t have any game losing pick 6s

If we wanna bring in a locker room cancer, might as well sign AB.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

There's an argument that there's more juice to be had out of Austin. There isn't really on Toney.

There's also, as T1K points out, Austin's non-history of lethal gaffes and being an annoying human.

Finally, the bar for contribution shouldn't be better than last season's WR4, it should be better than what the Steelers can pick up at this moment. There's probably not a better punt returner, but I'd be shocked if there weren't better wide receivers.

Reactions: T1K

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
There's an argument that there's more juice to be had out of Austin. There isn't really on Toney.

There's also, as T1K points out, Austin's non-history of lethal gaffes and being an annoying human.

Finally, the bar for contribution shouldn't be better than last season's WR4, it should be better than what the Steelers can pick up at this moment. There's probably not a better punt returner, but I'd be shocked if there weren't better wide receivers.
Ok, make the argument for Austin then. Without mentioning Toney like T1k did. What does he do well?

Toney at least has visible talent. It's what led to him being drafted as a 1st rounder. He's sudden, elusive, and had some remarkable efficiency metrics as a rookie.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ok, make the argument for Austin then. Without mentioning Toney like T1k did. What does he do well?

Toney at least has visible talent. It's what led to him being drafted as a 1st rounder. He's sudden, elusive, and had some remarkable efficiency metrics as a rookie.
Austin is a fraud, he's a world beater in OTA's, when the pads go on he's ''meh''.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Austin is a fraud, he's a world beater in OTA's, when the pads go on he's ''meh''.
He didn't even do well in camp this year:
1724861094710.png

I'm also not buying @Peat claim that there's more meat left on the bone or whatever. Toney and Austin are the same age.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm also not buying @Peat claim that there's more meat left on the bone or whatever. Toney and Austin are the same age.

Okay so you've made up your mind and don't want to hear something else, good to know so I don't bother wasting my time.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Broderick Jones is a great example of why drafting on so much projection is a fool's errand. He looks awful far more often than not and Pat Meyer instills zero confidence in being able to mold and develop a line.

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They lost the people from within the organization who were the WR savants. My theory was that Arians was the savant and he influenced some guys who worked with him directly. After Arians left, the WR picks declined-- with a few successes like JuJu, Bryant, & DJ--but basically when those guys like Richard Mann were gone, it went straight to the crapshoot it is for most teams.
My theory is that they had 2 good back-to-back drafts (where they got AB, Sanders, and Wallace) when they had a HoF QB in his prime. The rest have been hit or miss for the last 20 years, regardless of Arians or anyone else being here.

And I'd still argue that outside of AB, Pickens is the best WR they've drafted in my adult life.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Broderick Jones is a great example of why drafting on so much projection is a fool's errand. He looks awful far more often than not and Pat Meyer instills zero confidence in being able to mold and develop a line.
He was raw and played less games at Lt in college than both Moore and Troy lets see what he looks like when the season is over

My theory is that they had 2 good back-to-back drafts (where they got AB, Sanders, and Wallace) when they had a HoF QB in his prime. The rest have been hit or miss for the last 20 years, regardless of Arians or anyone else being here.

And I'd still argue that outside of AB, Pickens is the best WR they've drafted in my adult life.
Yeah they drafted wr every year just by numbers some will hit

I would take Toney over Miller

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Okay so you've made up your mind and don't want to hear something else, good to know so I don't bother wasting my time.
I mean I can already guess what your views on this are because we've disagreed about age vs. experience with regards to the QB position. So if it's the same argument, yeah, don't bother lol.

I say no thanks. We need a legit WR, not some reclamation project that couldn't make it with the best QB in the NFL and a rather decent offensive head coach.
Sure, I'm just dumpster diving. I have no delusions about Kadarius Toney being a viable WR for this team. My whole point is that we already have a useless gadget guy that gets manufactured touches on the roster.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean I can already guess what your views on this are because we've disagreed about age vs. experience with regards to the QB position. So if it's the same argument, yeah, don't bother lol.

Swing and a miss but thanks for confirming you'd rather assume what I'd say than listen to what I'd say.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Swing and a miss but thanks for confirming you'd rather assume what I'd say than listen to what I'd say.
Wasn't intended to be insulting, I just know we've had similar discussions before that didn't really end up going anywhere. If you truly feel CA3 has some untapped potential, by all means...

Honestly probably for the best.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Wasn't intended to be insulting, I just know we've had similar discussions before that didn't really end up going anywhere. If you truly feel CA3 has some untapped potential, by all means...

Honestly probably for the best
Why are you wasting your time with him? it'll just be a circular debate that never really ends.

Agree about Heyward.

Steelers made no waiver claims.
Wull, that seems curious.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen any extensions yet from the Steelers, although I suppose they’ve been waiting out the Aiyuk situation. Feels like it could be a mistake to not at least try to work something out with Muth before he potentially has a big season.

They’re projected to have a lot of cap space next offseason, but also have holes at pretty much every position.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen any extensions yet from the Steelers, although I suppose they’ve been waiting out the Aiyuk situation. Feels like it could be a mistake to not at least try to work something out with Muth before he potentially has a big season.

They’re projected to have a lot of cap space next offseason, but also have holes at pretty much every position.
Muth said he thinks his will get done. I don’t think anyone else will. No way does Najee get one after declining his option and DJ took a pay cut when we traded for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad