OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If I was looking for a habit of Wilson that I think is going to stress Tomlin and Smith out, it's not an extra interception or two because we're still in good territory for an NFL QB, it's the sacks and fumbles. He doesn't fumble a bunch because he doesn't run a bunch, but he's running real hot at a fumble every 10 attempts over his last three seasons. And everyone knows about the sacks. Those things also kill drives.

I'm curious as to how much they'll want Wilson - and Fields - to stay with their wait for the moonball strategies, and how much they'll be trying to get both guys to just get it out and keep the trains running. Smith's QBs don't really run up those big average pocket times like Wilson and Fields.
I think that's probably true, but there's a line somewhere. Sacks are not good, obviously, but neither is having happy feet and bailing on pockets at even the slightest sign of pressure.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I think that's probably true, but there's a line somewhere. Sacks are not good, obviously, but neither is having happy feet and bailing on pockets at even the slightest sign of pressure.

Good thing neither Fields nor Wilson like to bail on clean pockets :laugh:

I don’t know. I think regardless of who plays, we’re going to see the same pocket issues that drove us crazy with Pickett. Just likely with better results when the ball actually gets thrown.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Good thing neither Fields nor Wilson like to bail on clean pockets :laugh:

I don’t know. I think regardless of who plays, we’re going to see the same pocket issues that drove us crazy with Pickett. Just likely with better results when the ball actually gets thrown.
Fields is an entirely different type of QB, but fair enough on Wilson :laugh:

Still, it can be situationally dependent, but I'm fine holding onto the ball sometimes if it means there's a chance of making a play....whether inside or outside of the pocket.

And I don't know that anything will drive me crazier than Pickett spinning, rolling out to his left, and throwing it away on 3rd down.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Part of me wonders whether Tomlin is all that bothered by QBs leaving the pocket early. I mean, he's vocal about how much he likes athletic QBs, and that's an ability that doesn't really mean anything unless you're willing to leave the pocket. And it doesn't feel like it's been a dealbreaker on guys in the hunt for Ben's replacement.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Part of me wonders whether Tomlin is all that bothered by QBs leaving the pocket early. I mean, he's vocal about how much he likes athletic QBs, and that's an ability that doesn't really mean anything unless you're willing to leave the pocket. And it doesn't feel like it's been a dealbreaker on guys in the hunt for Ben's replacement.

I don’t think leaving the pocket is a dealbreaker as long as it results in a positive outcome. But running into sacks or turning down a positive play to run around and throw the ball away or check it down would be I would think.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It's amazing that a scumbag like Sean Payton is allowed in the league and talk trash after he was caught stealing Vicoden from the team. NFL and local NOPD swept it all under the rug. Disgusting scumbag.
Tbh he’s nowhere near what active players/coaches we should be mad are allowed in the league

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Assuming nothing crazy happens with Aiyuk, this should be a guy the Steelers should be in on.

Good blocker. Popped off a couple times last year for huge games. I’m surprised he was released, but that was probably more about Metchie than it was about Brown.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah Noah Brown is a guy the Steelers should absolutely be calling right now, he was on pace for a big season last year before he missed some games. Really hope they can end up pulling him off, he’s more of a WR3 but they need any good WR2 or WR3 they can get.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t think leaving the pocket is a dealbreaker as long as it results in a positive outcome. But running into sacks or turning down a positive play to run around and throw the ball away or check it down would be I would think.

I'm not sure he's all that bothered by sacks and missing positive plays even. Obviously he hates them, but it doesn't feel like a mega-hate dealbreaker. I'm working my way through my thoughts here so it's not super coherent, but the offensive approach under him these last five odd years and his comments and the guys he's recruited doesn't make it feel like it's a Tier 1 problem for him with a QB. Sacks end drives but at least you can still punt the ball away.

I guess thinking about it, it is really the turnovers. He preaches a very turnover orientated style of football both sides of the ball. Don't make a mistake that can cost directly cost points against. Trubisky threw interceptions and had no rope. Pickett didn't and got more. So they'll live with the sacks, and Wilson doesn't throw many picks, but the fumbles?

I'll go with the fumbles being what really annoys him now I think about it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Noah Brown is a good NFL receiver but for the most part just a guy. We would consider him our version of Van Jefferson if we didn't already have one.

The fact that we should be in on him (we should) and that I support such an approach (I do) says a lot about the receiver room, all of which everyone knows because it's been said all summer long.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
KC waives Kadarius Toney. They don't need a second high-maintenance guy in the room but he has way more upside than all the other #4/#5 WR that people are talking about.
Geez I agree about Toney's upside but he hasn't done anything in the league so he feels like a guy who will never reach it. Yeah he's had some off-field issues but the big one is not catching passes. It would be more accurate to say KC dropped him. Get it?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
KC waives Kadarius Toney. They don't need a second high-maintenance guy in the room but he has way more upside than all the other #4/#5 WR that people are talking about.

Toney is more "gadget guy" vs a true slot or outside WR.
We have CAIII who could fill that role and Wilson when he returns could do that too.

But, I don't think this type of stuff is an Art Smith staple so he seems very unnecessary. Steelers need a true outside guy that can beat press. Anyone else is redundant.

PS- they also need a gunner, so if there are any WR's who do this PLUS can beat man press, the Steelers should be all over that.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Toney is more "gadget guy" vs a true slot or outside WR.
We have CAIII who could fill that role and Wilson when he returns could do that too.

But, I don't think this type of stuff is an Art Smith staple so he seems very unnecessary. Steelers need a true outside guy that can beat press. Anyone else is redundant.

PS- they also need a gunner, so if there are any WR's who do this PLUS can beat man press, the Steelers should be all over that.
Guessing anyone who fits that description is not being cut today. In terms of gunners, the Giants are cutting Boykin so that could be an option.

Steelers cutting Quez Watkins, which is weird since BigDaddyTomlinFan told me he was starting caliber.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He was probably athletic enough to make plays like that against the dregs of the ACC.

Some days I hope another country takes American Football to their heart simply to see what happens to player development when you constantly have the best 18-22 year olds going against each other rather than getting spread out over I have no idea how many teams.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
My bar has dropped almost to Pirates' levels of low bar.

If the Steelers can throw five or more times a game further than three yards I will deem the quarterback experiment to be a success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad