OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Why are you wasting your time with him? it'll just be a circular debate that never really ends.
I disagree with a lot of his opinions but I genuinely appreciate the effort he puts into posts.

I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen any extensions yet from the Steelers, although I suppose they’ve been waiting out the Aiyuk situation. Feels like it could be a mistake to not at least try to work something out with Muth before he potentially has a big season.

They’re projected to have a lot of cap space next offseason, but also have holes at pretty much every position.
Steelers are last in cash spending for 2024, like $30m below most projections. There's gotta be an extension coming, probably to Muth. I wonder if the uncertainty about Aiyuk is holding up things.

I know there's some new cap rules where a team has to spend 90% of the cap as cash over a three year period.

Steelers depot talks about this around the ~55 min mark

Reactions: Rave7215

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen any extensions yet from the Steelers, although I suppose they’ve been waiting out the Aiyuk situation. Feels like it could be a mistake to not at least try to work something out with Muth before he potentially has a big season.

They’re projected to have a lot of cap space next offseason, but also have holes at pretty much every position.

The Aiyuk situation isn't so demanding that they've got to wait it out before extending players. Maybe they've allowed it to distract them, but I don't see why that'd have to be so. Not like there wasn't a lot of summer where they weren't in on Aiyuk, or there hasn't been about a week where they're just waiting.

Which says to me that either they've talked privately to a few players and haven't worked anything out, or aren't really bothered talking with them. We know that's the case with Daniels, might be with a few others.

Muth is a tough one to me because while you're right about trying to work something out with Muth before he potentially has a big season, you've got to think his agent is going to ask for a figure based on this projections, right? And yeah, that's the purpose of negotiating, you meet in the middle... but sometimes you can't.

I just googled Freiermuth Contract. His agent was in Latrobe, but there's no other real news.

Tbh, every action this summer says to me that Khan wants to pursue an aggressive remodel of the Steelers. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't extend anyone at all.

edit:

Heyward just confirmed no movement on his contract.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The Aiyuk situation isn't so demanding that they've got to wait it out before extending players. Maybe they've allowed it to distract them, but I don't see why that'd have to be so. Not like there wasn't a lot of summer where they weren't in on Aiyuk, or there hasn't been about a week where they're just waiting.

Which says to me that either they've talked privately to a few players and haven't worked anything out, or aren't really bothered talking with them. We know that's the case with Daniels, might be with a few others.

Muth is a tough one to me because while you're right about trying to work something out with Muth before he potentially has a big season, you've got to think his agent is going to ask for a figure based on this projections, right? And yeah, that's the purpose of negotiating, you meet in the middle... but sometimes you can't.

I just googled Freiermuth Contract. His agent was in Latrobe, but there's no other real news.

Tbh, every action this summer says to me that Khan wants to pursue an aggressive remodel of the Steelers. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't extend anyone at all.

edit:

Heyward just confirmed no movement on his contract.

My thought on the Aiyuk situation is maybe it would affect how extensions are structured to be able to fit everyone in this year. Maybe not though.

I don’t hate the idea of just completely retooling how Khan wants, but I also don’t love letting good players go in order to do that.

Reactions: Peat

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I, too, was quite high on CA3 coming out of the draft. My concern is that he hasn’t fully recovered (and may never?) from his injury as a rookie. Add to that, I believe I remember reading that his deceleration isn’t great. Everyone believes that it’s all about explosiveness when making cuts during routes, but you gotta stop before you start.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I, too, was quite high on CA3 coming out of the draft. My concern is that he hasn’t fully recovered (and may never?) from his injury as a rookie. Add to that, I believe I remember reading that his deceleration isn’t great. Everyone believes that it’s all about explosiveness when making cuts during routes, but you gotta stop before you start.
Ca3 and RW will have ti be schemed open they are yac capable but aren’t route runners

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
That’s going to be a really young line if he misses any time. You’re either starting a 7th round second year guy or a rookie from the FCS.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Just fell to my knees in a Walmart parking lot

I would guess Spencer Anderson gets the first crack if Seumalo is out. At least that's how the team did it when they gave Isaac all those rest days at camp.
Spencer has been playing RT with Troy hurt could be mccormick

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My thought on the Aiyuk situation is maybe it would affect how extensions are structured to be able to fit everyone in this year. Maybe not though.

I don’t hate the idea of just completely retooling how Khan wants, but I also don’t love letting good players go in order to do that.

Oh that's a good point on the structures. Although can't they just roll over cap space they don't use, making it less of an issue?

And as for what Khan wants... well, for all I know, they're going to sign three contracts next week and it's a different story. Thinking everything he does fits a pattern doesn't mean that's why he's doing stuff. Not like there aren't other patterns that fit. So wait and see.

But if he is letting guys go... I dunno how I feel about that and I dunno how strongly I'd feel anyway. I mean.. Muth is a good player, right? But he's good and not great. He's maybe not the best fit if Smith wants his tight ends to block hard. You don't want to have to replace a bunch of good players, but it's not like you can't if you put your mind to it.

I guess I'd expect Muth to get a new contract, and I'd prefer it if he did as long as they don't do anything crazy, but I'm going to feel rather ambivalent about the situation if he doesn't.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad