Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRHOCKEYBUZZ

Aug 22, 2024
nothing is done with that, your just taking speculation posts from the oshawa thread?
Not from the Oshawa thread; from a source familiar with Owen Sound, indicated deal was in touch and close- Oshawa has since backed down waiting to see what happens with their overage situation as well as Smith with the AHL. Still would not be surprised to see the move happen prior to opening night , but time will tell.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not from the Oshawa thread; from a source familiar with Owen Sound, indicated deal was in touch and close- Oshawa has since backed down waiting to see what happens with their overage situation as well as Smith with the AHL. Still would not be surprised to see the move happen prior to opening night , but time will tell.

I was just going over the Ducks/Gulls depth chart, I strongly suspect Smith will get returned to the OHL for an overage season, based both on where he's at in his development and the number of prospects/bodies ahead of him.

Assuming seven Dmen remain on the Ducks roster, there are 9 or 10 others who would take up ice time in the AHL and/or ECHL (not including Smith). The wildcard being Rodwin Dionicio who had signed in Switzerland but apparently prefers to stay in the AHL. A couple among those are a couple older college signings who are possibly ECHL bound but there are still at least seven or eight who are clearly ahead of Smith for AHL ice time unless he were to come into camp showing huge improvements. He'd essentially have to do well enough to change the Ducks plans for one or both of fellow 04 D Dionicio/Warren, I just don't see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRHOCKEYBUZZ

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
When did it go off the rails with Barlow? Coaching change last year? Doesn't want to be part of a rebuild? Wanted to go at the deadline last spring? Hopefully DD can get good value for him.

JRHOCKEYBUZZ

Aug 22, 2024
Barrie is the most likely destination imo.
Barrie currently holds a 2nd in 2025 & 2027- Nothing for 26 & 28. I think the market comparable would be someone like Rehkopf, which fetched 3 2nd's, 3 3rds, 3 4th's & a 7th.. Now if you are able to get a roster player back then the price on Draft picks changes. Oshawa has a higher surplus of picks (4 2nd's) & 4 3rds. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Barrie currently holds a 2nd in 2025 & 2027- Nothing for 26 & 28. I think the market comparable would be someone like Rehkopf, which fetched 3 2nd's, 3 3rds, 3 4th's & a 7th.. Now if you are able to get a roster player back then the price on Draft picks changes. Oshawa has a higher surplus of picks (4 2nd's) & 4 3rds. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Rehkopf was just picks. If barrie throws Parker Vaughan the 5th overall pick in the trade it evens out. Look at the martone trade a few years back.

Oshawa may have more picks but it’s the 5th overall vs 18th I believe. 5th is WAY more valuable.

JRHOCKEYBUZZ

Aug 22, 2024
Rehkopf was just picks. If barrie throws Parker Vaughan the 5th overall pick in the trade it evens out. Look at the martone trade a few years back.

Oshawa may have more picks but it’s the 5th overall vs 18th I believe. 5th is WAY more valuable.
Exactly what I was saying if there is a player coming back then the Draft pick's decrease- But looking at what Rehkpof got for Kitchener if neither team is willing to move a roster piece than on draft capital alone Oshawa looks to be the front runner.

Reactions: All the Answers

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Exactly what I was saying if there is a player coming back then the Draft pick's decrease- But looking at what Rehkpof got for Kitchener if neither team is willing to move a roster piece than on draft capital alone Oshawa looks to be the front runner.
Yeah but barlows been really good for the Owen sound organization. It’ll be like the wright situation where Kingston sent him to Windsor for less because that’s where wright wanted to go. Barlow will want to go to Barrie to be with Bertucci so Owen sound may not get as good of a draft pick deal but if you get Vaughan it evens out.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The biggest factor will be where Barlow wants to be, and when; not the return. That has sounded like the same team as Bertucci. There will be a few very good 19-20 yr old LW alternatives available prior to the deadline; OS does not have a lot of leverage outside of Barlow possibly really wanting to go to Barrie.
Barrie can offer 2006-07 born selected in rounds two and three that would play sparingly for the colts; Lowe, Newton, Handsor. Barrie could also trade players for picks to trade later.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
The biggest factor will be where Barlow wants to be, and when; not the return. That has sounded like the same team as Bertucci. There will be a few very good 19-20 yr old LW alternatives available prior to the deadline; OS does not have a lot of leverage outside of Barlow possibly really wanting to go to Barrie.
Barrie can offer 2006-07 born selected in rounds two and three that would play sparingly for the colts; Lowe, Newton, Handsor. Barrie could also trade players for picks to trade later.
I think Owen Sound has more leverage than you think. Barlow wants to play for Canada at the world junior tournament. He can't earn a sniff of a roster spot if he's not playing games. If Barrie can't or won't offer the price for Barlow then he'll be forced to accept a deal elsewhere. I can't see Winnipeg being thrilled with him sitting at home either. I think Barlow has more to lose with the shenanigans than Owen Sound does.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think Owen Sound has more leverage than you think. Barlow wants to play for Canada at the world junior tournament. He can't earn a sniff of a roster spot if he's not playing games. If Barrie can't or won't offer the price for Barlow then he'll be forced to accept a deal elsewhere. I can't see Winnipeg being thrilled with him sitting at home either. I think Barlow has more to lose with the shenanigans than Owen Sound does.

Low ball offers to teams in a bind are relatively rare, Oshawa trades for OAs last season being more an exception. A team trading for Barlow would make a reasonable offer that it could afford and be reasonably expected to pay.
If DeGray refused Barrie players with most upside and picks available, he would looked upon as the bad guy; not Barlow.

JRHOCKEYBUZZ

Aug 22, 2024
Low ball offers to teams in a bind are relatively rare, Oshawa trades for OAs last season being more an exception. A team trading for Barlow would make a reasonable offer that it could afford and be reasonably expected to pay.
If DeGray refused Barrie players with most upside and picks available, he would looked upon as the bad guy; not Barlow.
I do not think you take a job as a General Manager to be viewed as a good guy. You do what you can to get a deal done that makes the player and organization happy. If some team offers something significantly better for your future you take that. At the end of the day they're young men - But its a business and its Degray's job to worry about the 23 players who want to be in Owen Sound jersey this year and for the future. If he becomes a bad guy for getting more but not getting him to Barrie or Oshawa - He did his job for the team.

Reactions: Greys and Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Just my opinion but I don't see a "fair value" deal to be made with Barrie unless they are willing to move Moses or Vaughan. They moved picks in the Gardiner deal and no longer have enough picks to do a picks only package. Owen Sound already has Jaiden Newton and Even Passmore types on the roster now and really doesn't have any need to bring them in. I don't see any avenue to a deal with the pieces on the board. I think it's more than likely Barlow goes elsewhere at this point.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I do not think you take a job as a General Manager to be viewed as a good guy. You do what you can to get a deal done that makes the player and organization happy. If some team offers something significantly better for your future you take that. At the end of the day they're young men - But its a business and its Degray's job to worry about the 23 players who want to be in Owen Sound jersey this year and for the future. If he becomes a bad guy for getting more but not getting him to Barrie or Oshawa - He did his job for the team.

If Barlow decides he is not starting the season in OS, DeGray will trade him where he is willing to play.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just my opinion but I don't see a "fair value" deal to be made with Barrie unless they are willing to move Moses or Vaughan. They moved picks in the Gardiner deal and no longer have enough picks to do a picks only package. Owen Sound already has Jaiden Newton and Even Passmore types on the roster now and really doesn't have any need to bring them in. I don't see any avenue to a deal with the pieces on the board. I think it's more than likely Barlow goes elsewhere at this point.

Barlow and his NTC will go where they decide to.
If it’s Barrie, Barrie may need to make other moves to it happen. I’m sure they would try anyways.

JRHOCKEYBUZZ

Aug 22, 2024
Barlow and his NTC will go where they decide to.
If it’s Barrie, Barrie may need to make other moves to it happen. I’m sure they would try anyways.
Bringing up a NTC has nothing to do with this. If Barlow is asking to be traded he has obviously waived his NTC in order to be traded. You can not waive a NTC only specific for certain teams. If it was for teams he would be required to submit a list larger than 2. He can identify and ideal destination and hope it works but "Barlow and his NTC will go where he decides" just simply is not true. He is going to want to play - Owen Sound is going to want a return. If they don't get that they are not just letting him go.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Bringing up a NTC has nothing to do with this. If Barlow is asking to be traded he has obviously waived his NTC in order to be traded. You can not waive a NTC only specific for certain teams. If it was for teams he would be required to submit a list larger than 2. He can identify and ideal destination and hope it works but "Barlow and his NTC will go where he decides" just simply is not true. He is going to want to play - Owen Sound is going to want a return. If they don't get that they are not just letting him go.

It's exactly what Gavin Hayes did to Flint last year. He would only accept a trade to the Soo.

JRHOCKEYBUZZ

Aug 22, 2024
It's exactly what Gavin Hayes did to Flint last year. He would only accept a trade to the Soo.
weird.. So Hayes did not go to Flints camp and did not play 27 games for them before going off to world Jr's and then being traded- Situations not quite "exactly" the same

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Depending on what picks Brantford has wouldn't they be a team interested? Vanacker out for another 4-5 months. Expensive insurance policy but still...

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

DeGray will get at worst a decent deal with the team Barlow chooses. Barlow would have to expand his list if the team he wants does not really want him. It’s also possible but not probable there are a couple of teams that could convince Barlow to go to them.

Reactions: tjziel

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
weird.. So Hayes did not go to Flints camp and did not play 27 games for them before going off to world Jr's and then being traded- Situations not quite "exactly" the same
it’s the same because he only wanted to go to one spot.

Reactions: MJ5

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
DeGray will get at worst a decent deal with the team Barlow chooses. Barlow would have to expand his list if the team he wants does not really want him. It’s also possible but not probable there are a couple of teams that could convince Barlow to go to them.
He will need to decide if holding out is worth it .

It won't help him convince the Jets he's pro ready.
Pros generally don't include ' I'll only play if my bestie does too" clause.

I think at some point, someone will point out there's a number of destinations that will advance his career more than sitting at home watching opportunities evaporate.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't go from Winnipeg in October directly to ????

There's no coming back to OS now .

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad