Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Owen Sound brings in some OA centre depth in a trade with Erie. I believe someone correctly put those two together on this board awhile back lol. Got to think there is more to come with Owen Sound's OA picture.
View attachment 901904

Was thinking the same thing. Has to be another shoe to drop.
That was me and trust me, it was a fluke lol. I just liked how he played and thought that he would match the compete level and work ethic that the team has talked about all year, while also adding some much needed goals.

I liked Stewart and apricated the effort and role but those players just are not over ages in the OHL, I'm just surprised there was any drama about it last year on here. I hope he does get an ECHL deal and makes the most of it, seemed like a quality person.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
That was me and trust me, it was a fluke lol. I just liked how he played and thought that he would match the compete level and work ethic that the team has talked about all year, while also adding some much needed goals.

I liked Stewart and apricated the effort and role but those players just are not over ages in the OHL, I'm just surprised there was any drama about it last year on here. I hope he does get an ECHL deal and makes the most of it, seemed like a quality person.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut lol. Take the victory lap lol.

I think he's coming here less so for the offense and more so for the intangibles. This is a very young group and McDonald, from what I've read at least, has a great work ethic and good leadership qualities that can benefit the team. He provides center ice depth and can shelter the younger players a bit by taking on Dzone faceoffs or tougher defensive matchups. He's a good PKer too from what I've read and considering how much of the players involved with that have left, it can't be overlooked either.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

I think he's coming here less so for the offense and more so for the intangibles. This is a very young group and McDonald, from what I've read at least, has a great work ethic and good leadership qualities that can benefit the team. He provides center ice depth and can shelter the younger players a bit by taking on Dzone faceoffs or tougher defensive matchups. He's a good PKer too from what I've read and considering how much of the players involved with that have left, it can't be overlooked either.
I think, or hope, that he will at least score 18 goals again as he did last year, which would be a big jump vs the other options I would think. Slot him in as a 2C and see what he brings.

At that cost, its a no brainer Id think.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

There have been players that have been traded from Erie in recent years that have seen their offence increase with their new team. In 2021-2022 Emmett Sproule had career totals of 25 goals, 45 assists in 187 games with the Otters but had 30 goals, 56 assists and 86 points in one season in Peterborough. The next season his teammate, Connor Lockhart went from 32 goals and 43 assists for 75 points in 121 games in Erie to having 29 goals, 50 assists for 79 points in his one full season playing for the Petes.

Last edited:

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
There have been players that have been traded from Erie in recent years that have seen their offence increase with their new team. In 2021-2022 Emmett Sproule had career totals of 25 goals, 45 assists in 187 games with the Otters but had 30 goals, 56 assists and 86 points in one season in Peterborough. The next season his teammate, Connor Lockhart went from 32 goals and 43 assists for 75 points in 121 games in Erie to having 29 goals, 50 assists for 79 points in his one full season playing for the Petes.
Not saying the Petes didn't get more offense out of those two, but the older a player gets the stats usually improve. Get stronger, play more minutes get more power play time.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
What does the Peterborough Petes have to do with it?

Im sure there are players from every team that move on to a new team and get better, its not a Peterborough thing, its very common with older players.

Not saying the Petes didn't get more offense out of those two, but the older a player gets the stats usually improve. Get stronger, play more minutes get more power play time.
Your not wrong, I would think most players in the league get more production as they get older.

Its a bit of a bizarre comment.

Reactions: ZinErie

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
With training camp set to begin Monday in OS the burning question is- will 39 be starting his season in Grey County or elsewhere?

I love the kid, intelligent, personable, solid, talented, great NHL prospect . I'd rank him as one of the best to ever play in OS.

I happen to feel it would be mutually beneficial for him to get an entire year in elsewhere, in this critical season for his transition to pro.

Imagine, for a minute, how his Stat line would look today, if he played the last 3 years in , say, London ?

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017

I've been a Stewy fan since he came here a great person off ice and filled his role on ice very well. As an O/A though I really like the McDonald deal and for the cost I don't think we can go wrong.

JRHOCKEYBUZZ

Aug 22, 2024
Looks as though the other move in place is Konnor Smith moving to Oshawa. Would think the return to be similar to the Guindon return.

Reactions: Millpond

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

Huge news reported by Greg Cowan confirming Varosyan is on his way to Owen Sound. Also confirming Stewart and Brennan have been waived and released.

Means the OA spots are set for camp pending a Konnor Smith trade, and if both these imports work out, potentially the best work Dale's done in the import draft in years.

Reactions: Stellar29

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Also a Barlow fan, ok if they deal him now if the return is similar to a trade deadline one. Would also be ok with him sticking around until after the Juniors.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Also a Barlow fan, ok if they deal him now if the return is similar to a trade deadline one. Would also be ok with him sticking around until after the Juniors.
It would be impossible for that to be the case as you can't get a rookie 1st rounder until January. If you trade him now, you'd be getting a similar return to what Rehkopf got

nothing is done with that, your just taking speculation posts from the oshawa thread?
It actually started on the Petes Updates twitter account..

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound

Huge news reported by Greg Cowan confirming Varosyan is on his way to Owen Sound. Also confirming Stewart and Brennan have been waived and released.

Means the OA spots are set for camp pending a Konnor Smith trade, and if both these imports work out, potentially the best work Dale's done in the import draft in years.

I think the key words are "expected in Owen Sound". The paperwork and travel hurdles to get Rafik Varosyan to Owen Sound may delay his arrival. Good news is they are working on it. There was a good story on the Athletic awhile back that detailed the lengths and hoops Russian athletes had to jump through to get to North America. Needless to say, it's not a simple situation. It would obviously be fantastic to get him in time for camp but I think that is highly unlikely.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Camp schedule and rookie camp rosters are posted on the team website.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Camp schedule and rookie camp rosters are posted on the team website.

Some notables:

Omissions:
Rafik Varosyan(working through visa/travel etc but expected eventually)
Mason Roy(Headed to NCAA)
Jet Kwajah(Headed to USHL)

Names of interest attending:
Dominic Pajkic(American - Attack 11th round pick 2024. Has NCAA commitment.)
Hudson Armstrong(FA invite)
Ethan Tatomir(FA invite)

Reactions: Spills

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
1724362877073.png

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
He's on the rookie camp roster! Could be a big nothing if he's just coming to weigh his options and then peaces out like Letourneau, but boy would adding a player like that to the mix mitigate the blow of losing Roy awfully fast.
I thought the same thing honestly when I saw his name but why come all that way as an American if you aren't at least seriously considering it? He didn't make the USNTDP program and was taken by the Madison Capitols in the 6th round of the USHL draft who coincidentally tendered Jet Kwajah. It seems some of his options are ruled out already so maybe the OHL is a realistic option if he wants to play a higher level? It would certainly be a boon for the Attack to reel in a big fish(it is the Salmon Spectacular after all lol) after loosing Mason Roy and Jet Kwajah. It will be really interesting to see where that goes in camp.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I think with as many openings the Attack have this year, with this being the first year with significant roster turnover in a couple years, there is a pathway that the Attack have as many as 5 16 year old players this year. Mikus is signed but is an 07 born taken in this past draft and doesn't count.

Signed:
Mbuyi
Kindree
Arnett

Possibilites:
Vandeven
Pajkic

Arnett is signed with Listowel so it is conceivable that he's on a B card. They can carry four A card 08 born this year. Pajkic being American would have to be on an A card if he signs. Vandeven could be a possibility as a depth center with Brennan being cut and the fact that he's 6'5" is intriguing. Lots of competition in the forward mix this year for a number of openings. Kindree could shift to a B card as well being undersized if others out perform him in camp. There's a decent chance a FA earns a walk on this year too. This is the most intriguing camp in recent memory as not just roster spots but also so many roles are still being sorted out. It's going to be fun to watch.

Reactions: Millpond

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I'd like to hope that some of these scenarios have been played out with management, thus we are seeing a player like Arnett with two options .

I'd like to think Dale does more that stand at the rail watching games, and throw one liners at Greg Cowan and Matt Hermes.
I think he may be formulating a plan with many moving pieces.

And yes this pre season will be very intriguing.

More than worth the price of admission .
😉

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
He's on the rookie camp roster! Could be a big nothing if he's just coming to weigh his options and then peaces out like Letourneau, but boy would adding a player like that to the mix mitigate the blow of losing Roy awfully fast.
There always these kids that happen to be invited to into camp. Likely weighing options and hey every kid has that right to do so.

If Pajkic is here then he's at least considering the team as such. Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to camp but who knows every kid that's here is another asset that DD has to progress the team forward. Hey look at Sean Durzi was a 13th rounder longshot that made the team.

DD has always said that "We don't pin round numbers on kids on the ice out there" each kid in camp showcases what they can do the kids who seem to be of interest to the team will move on and the ones who need to work on certain areas will be sent home for another year of development in the lower levels.

Nothing is set in stone until they start playing exhibition games.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
There always these kids that happen to be invited to into camp. Likely weighing options and hey every kid has that right to do so.

If Pajkic is here then he's at least considering the team as such. Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to camp but who knows every kid that's here is another asset that DD has to progress the team forward. Hey look at Sean Durzi was a 13th rounder longshot that made the team.

DD has always said that "We don't pin round numbers on kids on the ice out there" each kid in camp showcases what they can do the kids who seem to be of interest to the team will move on and the ones who need to work on certain areas will be sent home for another year of development in the lower levels.

Nothing is set in stone until they start playing exhibition games.
Durzi and Pajkic are drastically different. Durzi is a late round success story of someone making it who wasn't expected to. Pajkic is an American late round flyer who was never expected to come in the first place which is why he was taken in the 11th round.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I'd like to hope that some of these scenarios have been played out with management, thus we are seeing a player like Arnett with two options .

I'd like to think Dale does more that stand at the rail watching games, and throw one liners at Greg Cowan and Matt Hermes.
I think he may be formulating a plan with many moving pieces.

And yes this pre season will be very intriguing.

More than worth the price of admission .
😉
I'm sure they were likely caught off guard with Roy and knew Kwajah was a risk. I can't imagine they expected Pajkic to be a realistic option. Getting him to come to camp is a big win in my opinion. Getting him here with a chance to see him and get him around the team/coaches etc only helps with the ability to try and sell him on Owen Sound. Getting both 07 imports over to Owen Sound is huge, adding a player of the caliber of Pajkic would be a giant cherry on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad