Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Brantford: 7x2nds, 5x3rds
Brampton: 7x2nds, 4x3rds
Kingston: 6x2nds, 7x3rds

Kingston doesn't have the roster that the other 2 do though
Definitely agree with the last part. I do but at the same time don’t understand why kingston is going in this year. It’s going to be the most stacked year in a long time in the east. Brampton, Barrie, Brantford isn’t done yet, Oshawa isn’t done yet and then there’s us who obviously isn’t done either.

I think all 5 of these teams could give Saginaw/erie who i suspect 1 of them will be the second best team in the west behind London a run for their money.

still think barrie or Oshawa are the most obvious spots for Barlow but Brampton will be a good spot too if Owen sound is up for strictly picks.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Brantford: 7x2nds, 5x3rds
Brampton: 7x2nds, 4x3rds
Kingston: 6x2nds, 7x3rds

Kingston doesn't have the roster that the other 2 do though
It’s true,

The only hope Kingston has to get Barlow is that if he really really loves playing with Cederick Guidon.

But they are for sure missing the starpower that Brampton or Barrie has.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I would take that tbh. A better version of the package DeGray got for Suzuki in 2019 and even if it didn't include a premier talent, the team got great value out of Mark Woolley and Barrett Kirwin. I'd be hesitant to trade with Barrie at this point unless Moses is on the table because Vaughn can't be traded until January.

Could also help the Attack be competitive next year for Carter George's last season.

Only thing would be to take out D'Amato and Oshawa can find a home for him elsewhere.
I don't love the idea of dealing with Barrie at this point either. I agree with your point that it's really not a consideration without Moses involved and I don't love the idea of trusting another organization to follow through on the two part deal to get Vaughan. I'd prefer to get everything done and sorted now.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I really liked Jake Crawford and Easton Mikus on the same line in the scrimmage this afternoon. All over the ice chasing pucks and making things happen. Could definitely see that being an energy/checking line that is just absolutely miserable to play against and score a bit. Not sure who would be the third on that line but fun to think about.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
What would the 2 part trade be? I can't see how they can make that work. BAR would need to massively overpay in picks now (can't be players because you can't just send the back) and then get a bunch of the picks back for Vaughan in Jan, but they don't have the picks for that. That can't just give an extra 4th and do Vaughan for a 4th in Jan. It would need to look like a legit stand on it's own trade (like Gens overpaying picks for Tomasino then getting half them back for Castle 6 months later)
says who

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
It's going to be a really fascinating final day of camp tomorrow. Assuming Barlow moves on and Varosyan signs, the Attack will sit at 12 rostered forwards. They've typically carried 13-14 for the regular season meaning they could sign one or two players. Who might be in the running? Trent Gates has showed off some nice puck skills and playmaking ability. Colton Ashby doesn't look like a 15th round pick and maybe has an outside shot(elite prospects lists him at 6'4" and 196lbs). Ty Therrien, the FA invite, has shown he can skate and be physical. Could he earn a FA walk on? Should be fun to watch play out tomorrow.

The D situation is really tight too. Arnett has looked good and could be the 7th Dman. Arnett having signed with Listowel opens the door to someone like Pajkic cracking the roster depending on what the long term plans might be. The Attack have carried 8 Dmen in recent years but I'd imagine with Smith and Ethier sitting 57 games each last season they'd be hesitant to do that this year.

Goaltending seems set with George and Koprowski. A third goalie option likely comes from outside the organization. Neither Durno or Costa have staked a claim to it.

To throw a wrinkle into everything, how might any ongoing trade chatter and the potential of players coming back to Owen Sound effect the decision making process. Certainly a lot of balls in the air.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Who will OS's OAs be? D'Amato would be a good leader for the younger guys and can definitely be flipped for another pick. I'd be happy if the Gens were the team that flipped him and get the pick, was just thinking OS would want the leadership and the extra pick that would come with him (DeGray isn't a tank guy)

And for the picks I have never head this to be true, maybe someone else can confirm?
Who says Owen Sound doesn't have OA leadership now ?

I don't love the idea of dealing with Barrie at this point either. I agree with your point that it's really not a consideration without Moses involved and I don't love the idea of trusting another organization to follow through on the two part deal to get Vaughan. I'd prefer to get everything done and sorted now.
Marty has a rep for shade

Reactions: All the Answers

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The OHL commissioners office. They wouldn't approve a trade that didn't look like a stand alone trade. Especially a new commissioner who wants everything to look on the up and up
can you show me the rule? value is subjective and there is no rile that says a 1st round pick needs to go for 5 picks

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
If anyone is at the 10:00 am scrimmage today can you please tell me who #29 on the red team is. The box office didn’t have any lineups printed off. Thanks

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
can you show me the rule? value is subjective and there is no rile that says a 1st round pick needs to go for 5 picks
I know that you know the OHL doesn't care about it's fans enough to give them any insight on the actual rules, you just learn about them from years of seeing it happen and hearing about them second hand lol.

And right, it's subjective but would have to look like "fair" enough value to the commissioner. Barrie doesn't have enough picks to give them a single extra 2nd/3rd back in part 2 so that part 2 would have to be 4ths/5ths for Vaughan. I don't see how that could be deemed as fair value for the 5th overall pick. Maybe other people see it different

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I know that you know the OHL doesn't care about it's fans enough to give them any insight on the actual rules, you just learn about them from years of seeing it happen and hearing about them second hand lol.

And right, it's subjective but would have to look like "fair" enough value to the commissioner. Barrie doesn't have enough picks to give them a single extra 2nd/3rd back in part 2 so that part 2 would have to be 4ths/5ths for Vaughan. I don't see how that could be deemed as fair value for the 5th overall pick. Maybe other people see it different
so then how do you know what is or what is not allowed? you can think or believe something, but without knowing the rule how can you be so sure?

trades happen all summer and they just date them for the day the trade window opens. this would be no different. the league isn’t going to say no if there are two different deals.

Why does it have to look like fair value, tones of trade don’t look fair. Brody crane trades last year never looked fair and not a word.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
so then how do you know what is or what is not allowed? you can think or believe something, but without knowing the rule how can you be so sure?

trades happen all summer and they just date them for the day the trade window opens. this would be no different. the league isn’t going to say no if there are two different deals.

Why does it have to look like fair value, tones of trade don’t look fair. Brody crane trades last year never looked fair and not a word.
Because I, like you, know people in OHL front offices and you learn things over the years when asking questions. The OHL head office has to approve every trade, I know that you know this so I'm not sure why you're acting like this info just blew your mind..?

I would bet that when the Crane trade was submitted, there was a call to the NIA GM asking what their thought process was on it, and he gave an answer they could live with so it was accepted. There's no answer that can be given for 5th overall Vaughan for 3 5th rounders, and I know that you know that, so I'm not sure what we're doing here.

Regardless, I'm done hijacking the OS thread going back and forth about semantics. Let me know when you get info on where Barlow is going

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I mean their captain is apparently telling them he refuses to ever put on their jersey again. That's not a great start
That in itself tells the story.
There's plenty of leadership in camp returning from last season .
The fans in OS are not concerned .

If your contention is true why did the commissioner allow all the lob sided deals in Niagara ?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Because I, like you, know people in OHL front offices and you learn things over the years when asking questions. The OHL head office has to approve every trade, I know that you know this so I'm not sure why you're acting like this info just blew your mind..?

I would bet that when the Crane trade was submitted, there was a call to the NIA GM asking what their thought process was on it, and he gave an answer they could live with so it was accepted. There's no answer that can be given for 5th overall Vaughan for 3 5th rounders, and I know that you know that, so I'm not sure what we're doing here.

Regardless, I'm done hijacking the OS thread going back and forth about semantics. Let me know when you get info on where Barlow is going
I think they could trade him for an 8th and if both teams agreed there isn’t much the league would do.

Lucas rowe went for a boatload as a two part trade to flint when he was worth a single pick, for the waiver pick up of the euro d and it went through, this will to. Assuming barrie matches the price

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If your contention is true why did the commissioner allow all the lob sided deals in Niagara ?
I said:
There's no rule against being a horrible GM, unfortunately for Niagara fans

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
One scrimmage to go, the red and white game. I think if they add a forward, Trent Gates is the front runner for me. The puck skill and playmaking is likely the deciding factor. Also, at this point I'm not sure how you don't take Arnett. He's been a pleasant surprise and has been the best of the new players in camp on the blueline for me. He's got good size and mobility and looks ready to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad