Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Hard to watch Vandeven and Ashby and think they won't be players for the Attack eventually. Both have had really solid camps in my opinion.

Reactions: Spills

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
It's going to be a really fascinating final day of camp tomorrow. Assuming Barlow moves on and Varosyan signs, the Attack will sit at 12 rostered forwards. They've typically carried 13-14 for the regular season meaning they could sign one or two players. Who might be in the running? Trent Gates has showed off some nice puck skills and playmaking ability. Colton Ashby doesn't look like a 15th round pick and maybe has an outside shot(elite prospects lists him at 6'4" and 196lbs). Ty Therrien, the FA invite, has shown he can skate and be physical. Could he earn a FA walk on? Should be fun to watch play out tomorrow.

The D situation is really tight too. Arnett has looked good and could be the 7th Dman. Arnett having signed with Listowel opens the door to someone like Pajkic cracking the roster depending on what the long term plans might be. The Attack have carried 8 Dmen in recent years but I'd imagine with Smith and Ethier sitting 57 games each last season they'd be hesitant to do that this year.

Goaltending seems set with George and Koprowski. A third goalie option likely comes from outside the organization. Neither Durno or Costa have staked a claim to it.

To throw a wrinkle into everything, how might any ongoing trade chatter and the potential of players coming back to Owen Sound effect the decision making process. Certainly a lot of balls in the air.
Why would a 3rd goalie come from outside the organization that they've never seen before be the best option? Wouldnt it be in their best interest to give a little experience to their draft picks? Thats exactly what preseason is for imo.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Why would a 3rd goalie come from outside the organization that they've never seen before be the best option? Wouldnt it be in their best interest to give a little experience to their draft picks? Thats exactly what preseason is for imo.
The two unsigned Attack drafted goalies are Costa(2024 U18) and Durno(2024 draft). Neither had a particularly great camp. Conceivably George will miss time while with the LA Kings at NHL camp and very likely miss time with the Canadian World Junior team which is where this third goalie would be required. With the time away from the team potentially being fairly significant when all is said and done, this third goalie will likely get game(s). I think you need somebody who is more ready/able to play.

If I were to give an edge to one of Costa or Durno, I would lean Durno but he's 5'9". I think he's more likely a guy you wait a year on and see if he grows before committing to him.

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
The two unsigned Attack drafted goalies are Costa(2024 U18) and Durno(2024 draft). Neither had a particularly great camp. Conceivably George will miss time while with the LA Kings at NHL camp and very likely miss time with the Canadian World Junior team which is where this third goalie would be required. With the time away from the team potentially being fairly significant when all is said and done, this third goalie will likely get game(s). I think you need somebody who is more ready/able to play.

If I were to give an edge to one of Costa or Durno, I would lean Durno but he's 5'9". I think he's more likely a guy you wait a year on and see if he grows before committing to him.
Thats fair about being more ready, but whos to say older and bigger equates to insta success? Btw Durno isnt listed at 5'9. And we've watched the FB live game vids and it appears he gave up the same amount goals as both Matt and Mr.George throughout the 2 days. I dont think he's as far away from making a difference as you believe. Some one like Mbuyi had just as many points as Vandeven and Jacob is a much bigger body, but at some point size can't be the only deciding factor as long as they get results imo.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Thats fair about being more ready, but whos to say older and bigger equates to insta success? Btw Durno isnt listed at 5'9. And we've watched the FB live game vids and it appears he gave up the same amount goals as both Matt and Mr.George throughout the 2 days. I dont think he's as far away from making a difference as you believe. Some one like Mbuyi had just as many points as Vandeven and Jacob is a much bigger body, but at some point size can't be the only deciding factor as long as they get results imo.
Not saying I agree with it but that's the way the goaltending position is valued today. Sub 6' goalies aren't common anymore and have to be pretty darn good to play at that size in today's game, right or wrong. Durno left injured yesterday and without knowing the injury or the extent of it, may not be an option anyways. Just for some added context, I played goalie for almost 20 years. I think my experience playing gives me a little bit of perspective towards watching the goalies in camp. I liked what I saw from Durno. His technique was solid and he tracked pucks well, I just don't think he's ready to play at 16, as many 16 year old kids aren't. Doesn't mean he won't play eventually.

Mbuyi and Vandeven is an entirely different situation. Mbuyi is 5'10" and a high skill player. Plenty of kids have had success at that size. I'd argue he's far more ready/effective than Vandeven at 16. Vandeven's size is hard to ignore though and he'll likely be a player at some point. Mbuyi will be successful because of his skill, Vandeven will find success because of his size and how he uses it. Both need to add weight but I think it's far more important for Vandeven to be effective than it will be for Mbuyi.

cruickshankd

Jun 3, 2024

Waiver wire...

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Waiver wire...
Could be. Not sure how it works but there were a couple of goalies from other teams that played on loan last season. Could be a scenario like that if the Attack don't find an option to acquire or an internal option. Either way, I can't see the team wanting to run an EBUG for the entire time George is gone.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Er
Could be. Not sure how it works but there were a couple of goalies from other teams that played on loan last season. Could be a scenario like that if the Attack don't find an option to acquire or an internal option. Either way, I can't see the team wanting to run an EBUG for the entire time George is gone.
Erie was forced to last year after the trade deadline .
They went thru a ton of EBUG 's

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Er

Erie was forced to last year after the trade deadline .
They went thru a ton of EBUG 's
I remember that but they did have goalies(as did a few other teams if I remember correctly) that were signed by another OHL club that played for them. Was it Easton Rye(Pete's goalie) who bounced around for a few teams last year? I think he played games for Peterborough, Erie and North Bay if I'm remembering correctly. If the Attack can't find a cheap add or a waiver wire pick up I wonder if they can work out a loan? Unlikely another team wants to help them out but it's also time with an OHL club and the practice/experience that comes with it for development.

I feel like Kyle Downey(Kingston) was another one. I'm sure the Attack will sort it out. I'd imagine there's a fringe 06 out there somewhere that can come in on a B card and back up that doesn't cost much.

Reactions: Millpond

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Interesting note in the Attack's pre-season roster announcement:

"On top of the pool of previous announced draft pick signings this summer the Attack, rookies Trent Gates and Ty Therrien remain with the squad for an extended pre-season tryout."

Would seem we will have to wait and see if they earn a roster spot still. Personally, I would be shocked if Gates doesn't make the team at this point.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Tonight's game in the books.

Even though we didn't necessarily get the result we wished for, we did however see a good solid effort with a steady work ethic type game.

The results might be a work in progress but if this is a small glimpse into what this season will show us there is nothing but bright days ahead.

This team showed that they can battle with a team that's like the Colts that has a more veteran heavy roster this season at least on paper. Onwards to meeting the Battalion and another test for what looks to be a very exciting season.

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
The score of the game didnt tell the story as Barrie thoroughly dominated the play. I think if Owen Sound were to make a Barlow trade with Barrie, they should target the Colts’ 2007 group. The Attack players I was most impressed with (other than George) were their 2007 group. Crawford and Nansi were their best forwards in the game and Gabriel Smith was their second best defenseman after Konnor Smith. Bleicher will be good, but struggled with Barrie’s physical play and the adjustment. Shamar Moses and Jaiden Newton would instantly be in their top 6, Justin Handsor would in their top 4 D and would give them the top 2007 group in the league once they add Varosyan.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The score of the game didnt tell the story as Barrie thoroughly dominated the play. I think if Owen Sound were to make a Barlow trade with Barrie, they should target the Colts’ 2007 group. The Attack players I was most impressed with (other than George) were their 2007 group. Crawford and Nansi were their best forwards in the game and Gabriel Smith was their second best defenseman after Konnor Smith. Bleicher will be good, but struggled with Barrie’s physical play and the adjustment. Shamar Moses and Jaiden Newton would instantly be in their top 6, Justin Handsor would in their top 4 D and would give them the top 2007 group in the league once they add Varosyan.
props!

Funny how fans from either team see the game different with different perspectives
he is a homer, every team has one or two

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
Shots were 49-28 Barrie and several of those Attack shots were when they pulled the goalie at the end. Shots don’t always tell the story, but in this case they do. But like I said, if the Attack focus on their 2007 group, and give them the ice time, and add to them, they will be strong in the future. George is the best goalie in the league and will keep them in games.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Shots were 49-28 Barrie and several of those Attack shots were when they pulled the goalie at the end. Shots don’t always tell the story, but in this case they do. But like I said, if the Attack focus on their 2007 group, and give them the ice time, and add to them, they will be strong in the future. George is the best goalie in the league and will keep them in games.
props!

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Shamar Moses and Jaiden Newton would instantly be in their top 6, Justin Handsor would in their top 4 D and would give them the top 2007 group in the league once they add Varosyan.
Dale DeGray isn’t reading this thread haha. Who you trying to convince?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
none of those guys are in the osa/colts talk. you are severely over valuing them

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Thoroughly dominant is a 10 -0 drubbing.

The Colts were trailing the Attack at one point, a team with 7 players in their 1st OHL game ( I think Koprowski's 3rd), an entirely new coaching staff and 6 days .
Considering the Colts outshot the Attack 20 -9 in period 3 and managed only 2 goals, I'd say they were Kowprowskied as well.

Let's face it- the Attack are rebuilding, the Colts are predicted to challenge in the east ( beware the pre-season predictions ).

Every Attack fan saw this first game as a 'win'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad