Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Roby Jarventie and 4th round pick for Xavier Bourgualt and Jake Chiasson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If it was the first Chychrun trade, then Jarventie certainly had more value then. His value dropped substantially. If we traded Bourgault 2 years ago right after his D+1 season, we would have gotten more in return as well.
Base on Jarventie injury you are right but base on him getting better each year I don't see it and am guessing JJ feels the same way. Time will tell.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
This trade highlighted how poorly Keith Gretzky is running Bakersfield and/or Colin Chaulk is deploying our prospects.

Bourgault played most of the year on the third line, with players like Cagguila, Griffith, McKegg, and Pederson getting first—and second-line ice time ahead of him.

Which results in trading a first-round pick with a promise for cents on the dollar.

Maybe this is part of Holland's slow-play strategy with prospects, which changes with a new GM? Something has to give. Bakersfield need to prioritize prospect development, not pushing grinders and AHL veterans.

rpm197509

Nov 29, 2014
If we trade Ceci to get cap compliant who would take his spot. I'm just trying to imagine next year's D pairings and non of our 7th or 8th Dman look good enough to be on the bottom pairing full time

Reactions: Wretched Oil

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This trade highlighted how poorly Keith Gretzky is running Bakersfield and/or Colin Chaulk is deploying our prospects.

Bourgault played most of the year on the third line, with players like Cagguila, Griffith, McKegg, and Pederson getting first—and second-line ice time ahead of him.

Which results in trading a first-round pick with a promise for cents on the dollar.

Maybe this is part of Holland's slow-play strategy with prospects, which changes with a new GM? Something has to give. Bakersfield need to prioritize prospect development, not pushing grinders and AHL veterans.

It's a chicken/egg scenario IMO.

Is it the organization's fault for not forcing him up the lineup, or is it the player's fault for not pushing his way up there on his own? If he were meant to play in the top 6 he would probably have forced his way in there.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's a chicken/egg scenario IMO.

Is it the organization's fault for not forcing him up the lineup, or is it the player's fault for not pushing his way up there on his own? If he were meant to play in the top 6 he would probably have forced his way in there.
I would say it’s more of a reflection of the prospect not being able to earn top 6 ice time in the AHL. Which is consistent with what he’s done since being drafted.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
At the end of the day, I think finally having a proper Director of Player Development will help the Oilers' prospects moving forward. Kalle Larsson has a really interesting background working with young players and I think he'll help immensely. I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Gagner slides in to player development too.

Most teams have like 3 people in player development and the Oilers had none. I think it was just Keith Gretzky wearing a bunch of hats.

As for XB, it sounds like he didn't do himself many favours, but I do think some blame falls on the Chaulk and KG. 1st round picks need to be put in positions to succeed to properly develop, not healthy scratched and stapled to the 4th line with a couple of coke machines. What's the point in giving Greg McKegg and Seth Griffith so much ice time? Certianly doesn't benefit the Oilers and I can't imagine those guys sell tickets in Bakersfield.

Interesting to see if the new GM does anything about this.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Summer of JJ continues. Another great trade.

Prospect swap, don’t know much about Roby but wasn’t a believer in XB from early on, don’t think he has enough skill at his size. And not enough motor to make up for the lack of size.

On JJ, we could very well look back at this summer as a turning point for our prospects pipeline and the reason we see a competitive Oilers for another 8 years. O Reilly, Savoie, and now Roby all from trades. It’ll come down to how these prospects pan out but I’m liking all these new additions.

Reactions: oilers'72

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

If Bourgault can't beat out Gregg McKegg for a roster spot in the AHL, he doesn't deserve that spot.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Idk anything about the guy we acquired. Just was never fond of Bourgault's game. Wanted Wallstedt from day 1 that draft. Wright's a f***ing moron. Whoever gives him another scouting job will also be an idiot too.
couldn't agree more. When Wallstedt fell to us, that was such a layup pick. Instead we trade down for Bougrault and 90th(Munzenberger)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nothing to do with JJ and the front office now.
BUT I hated when we traded down in 2021 with Minnesota. We had a chance to draft Wallstedt then opted for Bourgault and 90th overall... what a waste
I wasn't great then, it's even worse now, but it is what it is. At least you could argue value for the player at the draft, but I think the Oilers did well here, maybe they've found a younger, cheaper, Finnish Warren Foegele.

Not sure if this has been posted :

Oilers win this trade unless Bourgault becomes a clearly better NHL player. I think X ends up as a NHL forward but Jarventie has more upside as of now, still has top-6 potential

It's an ugly goal lol, but he picks up speed quick in just a couple of strides to for the defender to back in. I like the look of that.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I wasn't great then, it's even worse now, but it is what it is. At least you could argue value for the player at the draft, but I think the Oilers did well here, maybe they've found a younger, cheaper, Finnish Warren Foegele.

It's an ugly goal lol, but he picks up speed quick in just a couple of strides to for the defender to back in. I like the look of that.
Yup! I think Jackson did well here. I tried to give Holland the benefit of the doubt most times, but seeing what Jackson has done in 2 months vs everyone else before him is insane.

Nice to see a smart GM at work. I wish he would just keep dual duty as CEO of Hockey OPS and GM

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
At the end of the day, I think finally having a proper Director of Player Development will help the Oilers' prospects moving forward. Kalle Olsen has a really interesting background working with young players and I think he'll help immensely. I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Gagner slides in to player development too.

Most teams have like 3 people in player development and the Oilers had none. I think it was just Keith Gretzky wearing a bunch of hats.

As for XB, it sounds like he didn't do himself many favours, but I do think some blame falls on the Chaulk and KG. 1st round picks need to be put in positions to succeed to properly develop, not healthy scratched and stapled to the 4th line with a couple of coke machines. What's the point in giving Greg McKegg and Seth Griffith so much ice time? Certianly doesn't benefit the Oilers and I can't imagine those guys sell tickets in Bakersfield.

Interesting to see if the new GM does anything about this.
Jeff Jackson clearly identified development as a strategic priority and followed through with Kalle Larsson's hiring. It will be interesting to see how this somewhat off-the-board hire starts to implement Jackson's vision to create a leading development model which is well formed through his agency work.

I think the XB trade is also a shift in organization strategic approach to be more pro-active and quick in its decision making broadly but also with regard to prospects. Think we're seeing the beginning of moving away from the Holland over-ripen model. Jackson and Pracy (and their NHL coach) all have analytic bend mindsets and clearly analytics are a foundation within their decision making.

Invest better and more purposeful upfront in drafted prospects development in order to learn faster what you have in their mental, technical and physical potential to become apex level NHL players. That's following a new strategic approach and new senior amateur scouting boss to prioritize their player 'type' to first draft into the organization. The hopeful outcome is a more deeper alignment between these two lifeblood functions, draft and development.

I'm a firm believer that a player holds the majority of their own destiny in hand with the mental grit, resiliency and tenacity through which they pursue and persevere through 'hockey darwinism' to work and earn their way toward the very limited privilege of NHL apex level roster position.

Borgault unfortunately stalled out. His coach in post season interviews also referenced some veiled culture shock for a kid from small town Quebec to California along with the step up in quality of competition against men. Ottawa for a lot of reason might be a good reset environment for him.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Jeff Jackson clearly identified development as a strategic priority and followed through with Kalle Larsson's hiring. It will be interesting to see how this somewhat off-the-board hire starts to implement Jackson's vision to create a leading development model which is well formed through his agency work.

I think the XB trade is also a shift in organization strategic approach to be more pro-active and quick in its decision making broadly but also with regard to prospects. Think we're seeing the beginning of moving away from the Holland over-ripen model. Jackson and Pracy (and their NHL coach) all have analytic bend mindsets and clearly analytics are a foundation within their decision making.

Invest better and more purposeful upfront in drafted prospects development in order to learn faster what you have in their mental, technical and physical potential to become apex level NHL players. That's following a new strategic approach and new senior amateur scouting boss to prioritize their player 'type' to first draft into the organization. The hopeful outcome is a more deeper alignment between these two lifeblood functions, draft and development.

I'm a firm believer that a player holds the majority of their own destiny in hand with the mental grit, resiliency and tenacity through which they pursue and persevere through 'hockey darwinism' to work and earn their way toward the very limited privilege of NHL apex level roster position.

Borgault unfortunately stalled out. His coach in post season interviews also referenced some veiled culture shock for a kid from small town Quebec to California along with the step up in quality of competition against men. Ottawa for a lot of reason might be a good reset environment for him.
in a span of 3/4 months Oilers top 6 prospect list has gone from :
Lavoie>Bourgault>Petrov>Rodrigue>C.Savoie>Wanner
to
M.Savoie>Jarventine>O'Rielly>Vinni>Stefan>Lavoie

Talk about revamp

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
in a span of 3/4 months Oilers top 6 prospect list has gone from :
Lavoie>Bourgault>Petrov>Rodrigue>C.Savoie>Wanner
to
M.Savoie>Jarventine>O'Rielly>Vinni>Stefan>Lavoie

Talk about revamp

And all we really had to give up was McLeod and move our 1st rounder up a year. Borgault was already a lost cause within the Oiler organization at least IMO.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

To this end, I agree to a certain extent, but a player has to perform when they are on the ice. Edmonton used to gift entitled 1st round picks ice time, in the decade of darkness. Players earn ice time and push their way into the NHL, not "Hey you were a 1st rounder, here's some cherry PP time for you."

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I don’t agree. It’s a transition going from basically scoring at will in leagues like the WHL to a man’s league in the AHL. They need to learn to earn things because the NHL will chew you up and spit you out if you don’t. If you aren’t forcing the coaching staff to play you more then you aren’t doing enough with the opportunity given to you. Like Tom Brady said “treat every rep like it’s the SB.”

If XB is on the 3rd line… be the best 3rd liner in the league. Where do you think he will start if he made the NHL? You need to find a way to stick out.

Look at Holloway. An unrelenting force in the
AHL. It doesn’t matter the line he was on because he would still be one of the best players on the ice. He brought that unrelenting mentality with him up to the NHL and now look at him. Poised to make the cut on one of the most high powered offensive teams in the league.

There is about 1000 people in the world in the NHL. You don’t make it taking handouts.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
They have not been too bad in the first round, but mainly because of an abundance of top 5 picks. Since I started watching in 2002, they took:

2003 Pouliot
2004 Dybnyk and Schremp
2005 Cogliano
2007 Gagner
2008 Eberle
2009 Pajarvi-Svensson
2010 Hall
2011 RNH and Klefbom
2012 Yakupov
2013 Nurse
2014 Draisaitl
2015 McDavid
2016 JP
2017 Yamamoto
2018 Bouchard
2019 Broberg
2020 Holloway
2021 Bourgault
2022 Schaefer

In 20 years one
1 generational player (McDavid)
2 star players (Draisaitl, Bouchard)
4 impact players (Hall, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom).
4 solid NHLers (Dubnyk, Cogliano, Gagner, Eberle)
1 meh NHLer (Yamamoto)
2 showing considerable promise (Broberg, Holloway)
5 busts (Pouliot, Schremp, PS, Yakupov, JP)
2 remains to be seen (Bourgault, Schaefer)

I guess 5 busts in 20 years is not that much, but some really hurt this team.

It would definitely be fun to somehow put this information together to come up with some kind of comparison between franchises. Because every time I see this it looks good. But like I said everything done is a competition. How does this fair against the competition? We'd have to take position into account. Even harder there's definitely some darn right luck when it comes to 1st overall. Is drafting Connor McDavid a piece of data that accomplishes the objective of determining how effect the drafting and development is? I don't think so.

Then again. Drafting Yakupov is imo. So two first overalls that are so wildly different. A staff draftin McDavid doesn't show me ability/skill to draft and develop. A staff drafting Yakupov does (just not in the good direction)

We'd have to eliminate the obvious one.. really I guess it's just McDavid that should be removed as this draft pick does not reveal the ability of the drafting/development department at all.

Now I'm only guessing or hoping here but perhaps.
1. The Oilers figured out or implemented some kind of evaluation system compared to other teams and got a real eye opener.
or
2. Jeff Jackson really just had the intuition that the department was getting it's shit handed to them by other teams.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I don't find it's ugly at all, Batherson made a pretty skilled play and a good pass for Jarventie to pick it up and gain speed. What I liked about Jarventie is how he was able to go wide to pick up speed, protect the puck and deliver a pretty tricky shot for a goalie. He looked like a NHL player all the way

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Bourgault spent over a month on the 1st line and 1st PP near the end of 2023.

He was just straight up bad. Cam Wright almost doubled his points during that stretch while playing on the fourth line.

The guys failing in Bako aren't failing because of deployment.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't find it's ugly at all, Batherson made a pretty skilled play and a good pass for Jarventie to pick it up and gain speed. What I liked about Jarventie is how he was able to go wide to pick up speed, protect the puck and deliver a pretty tricky shot for a goalie. He looked like a NHL player all the way
The goal itself is ugly, that won't beat NHL goalies very often, but you are correct the rest of the play is a great show piece for the the players involved. Shows why batherson made it and jarventie is really close, imo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The goal itself is ugly, that won't beat NHL goalies very often, but you are correct the rest of the play is a great show piece for the the players involved. Shows why batherson made it and jarventie is really close, imo.

Hmmm, I don't know. From my 30+ years of goaltending, I find that a tricky shot like this has more chance to beat me than a hard slap shot that I can see, even though fans would think the opposite.

It's just one play and it doesn't mean that Jarventie will make it but it's a nice display of his tools. The more he'll use his big body, the more he'll be successful. I hope he succeeds, even if it makes the Sens look stupid (as usual), I was rooting hard for the Oilers in the playoffs and I want McDavid to win Cups so, hope he becomes a Top-6 forward rapidly

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Bourgault spent over a month on the 1st line and 1st PP near the end of 2023.

He was just straight up bad. Cam Wright almost doubled his points during that stretch while playing on the fourth line.

The guys failing in Bako aren't failing because of deployment.

Near the end of 2023 he was playing on a line with Tullio and McKegg. Mckegg, with his 7 goals and 29 points in 63 games.

You must be thinking of 1st line because of how the lines were listed on Twitter before gameday. But he certainly was not on the "1st" line at the end of 2023.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Near the end of 2023 he was playing on a line with Tullio and McKegg. Mckegg, with his 7 goals and 29 points in 63 games.

You must be thinking of 1st line because of how the lines were listed on Twitter before gameday. But he certainly was not on the "1st" line at the end of 2023.
He was playing with Caggiula and Pederson on the 1st line.

It might have been early 2024 instead of late 2023.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad