OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

This, the General Lee and Burt Reynolds Trans Am are probably my favorite iconic movie or TV cars.

I remember a movie called "Vanishing Point" which had a really cool Challenger. And "Bullit" was pretty neat with Steve McQueen (known as Mr. Cool for those of the newer generation that never saw him)

Not to get tied up in a political discussion, but the wife and I watched most of the "Debate" last night, and wow, cringeworthy to say the least. I actually felt embarrassed. The U.S. is so f***ed.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I remember a movie called "Vanishing Point" which had a really cool Challenger. And "Bullit" was pretty neat with Steve McQueen (known as Mr. Cool for those of the newer generation that never saw him)

I have a buddy near Boston who has such a close replica to the Delorean from Back to the Future that it was used for the anniversary of the movie on one of the late night shows and MJFox and the actor who played the crazy scientist drove it onstage. He also has the motorcycle Steve McQueen rode in The Great Escape. A few other famous vehicles as well.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Lool. Kevin from Big Brother. I loathed him during that season.
I was hoping they’d win because they were from Edmonton. I lost my mind when they left the museum headed for Commonwealth Stadium in a close race and the camera showed them in a taxi under the pedways on 101 st street (6 blocks away in the opposite direction from the stadium). I wondered where the hell they were going and how could two people from Edmonton not know how to get to the stadium from the museum. Creative editing I guess since there is absolutely nothing between the museum and the stadium they’d want to show on tv, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Creative editing I guess since there is absolutely nothing between the museum and the stadium they’d want to show on tv, lol.
You mean sketchy characters yelling obscenities and holding the tunnels hostage wouldn't make for good TV?

On a more serious note, I remember in high school and college how I used to spend my days off exploring the Edmonton pedway. I'd also stop by the Lee Pavilion and ride the Canada Place elevators all the way to the top just for the fun of it.

No chance I'd risk that now with how far downtown has allegedly fallen (left Edmonton in 2019).

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I was hoping they’d win because they were from Edmonton. I lost my mind when they left the museum headed for Commonwealth Stadium in a close race and the camera showed them in a taxi under the pedways on 101 st street (6 blocks away in the opposite direction from the stadium). I wondered where the hell they were going and how could two people from Edmonton not know how to get to the stadium from the museum. Creative editing I guess since there is absolutely nothing between the museum and the stadium they’d want to show on tv, lol.
Your discounting the TV imagery of all those unpaved surface level parking lots sitting on vacant land.

;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Your discounting the TV imagery of all those unpaved surface level parking lots sitting on vacant land.

;)
That show was taped in June. I was thinking more about all the encampments on the unpaved surface level parking lots sitting on vacant land that populated the area between the museum and stadium at that time. Even today most of those areas are now fenced up to prevent people from moving in. Not something that looks particularly pleasant on tv.

BIeucheeseWithWings

Shlt Poster
Jul 9, 2022
Thank f*** our self-less business leaders are worried!

The proportion of Canadian business leaders who say they are worried about climate change jumped dramatically in 2024.

In a newly released report by Deloitte, 85 per cent of the 129 Canadian executives surveyed between May and June of this year said they "worry all or most of the time" about climate change.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I've had several discussions with the City expressing concerns about the reduced park and ride to events. The City has drastically cut back on these. No park and ride any longer, any event, at Meadow, MWTC, or Davies. All discontinued, all events.

The city wants everybody on the southside to use Heritage Valley park and ride which is far away from most residents and for us would be driving the opposite direction to any event. So that the city is allocating one park and ride to the entire southside that now makes up over half million in population. They have 3 park and rides north of River and another in ST Albert. One could ask, and I did everytime why the city is servicing ST Albert park and ride and USING ETS busses to do this.I was of course emphatic that Edmonton tax payer money should not be going to provide services to ST. Albert who are not bellying up for this. The only thing ST AB. is providing is the actual parking facility. the city is also on the hook for the busses to Leduc, Beaumont. Those communities are not paying for ETS feeder busses.

The city wants people from Ellerslie, Millwoods, Meadows etc to be taking Valley Line LRT to Churchill station and then transferring to Capital line for events at Commonwealth. unfortunately this was a debacle as reported by many citizens for the Metallica concerts, Pink concert, and Elks most recent game. Basically people have been transferring to Capital line and not being able to get on those trains as wait for it, they are full.... Hundreds of people on reddit, other sites reporting they were left standing at Churchill station as the trains were already all full. In the case of the Stamps-Elks game the capital line was only running normal cars and normal frequency of 15mins. They had no event frequency or capacity running.

The city is acknowledging they screwed up, but they knew this to be a problem and due to cutting back (they actually stated this in midst of radical increases in property taxes) that they are having to cut corners.

Edmonton park and ride used to be the best possible service offered by ETS. The only one that a lot of population bother to take. I pointed out that there are people that used Park and Ride that are otherwise not comfortable using the slow and now dangerous ETS service.

I have no horse in this race. No big deal to me and it only prevented us from going to Heritage Festival. But hate to see a once pretty good service so poorly mismanaged. I used to take it a lot to Esks games or concerts at Commonwealth.

The Elks, Commonwealth, Heritage and other major festivals should all be concerned with this as well. The city continues to spout that you should take transit to major events but the service provision to do so is shit.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

We used to just do that for kicks, and now you can make money and get free beer for it. ;)
They should do an old school competition and drag them by their hair.
1726169212573.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad