Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Roby Jarventie and 4th round pick for Xavier Bourgualt and Jake Chiasson

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Near the end of 2023 he was playing on a line with Tullio and McKegg. Mckegg, with his 7 goals and 29 points in 63 games.

You must be thinking of 1st line because of how the lines were listed on Twitter before gameday. But he certainly was not on the "1st" line at the end of 2023.
He wasn't because he wasn't performing to stay there, it's part of the issue is doing

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
this trade makes me more mad at the trade where we acquired XB rights. I know many of us prefered Wallsted over the trade that happened
Read this type of comment many times. When Wallstedt becomes a regular NHL goalie you will have reason but now he has 3 games of NHL experience. 2 against bottom feeders and 7 ga when playing Dallas.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Read this type of comment many times. When Wallstedt becomes a regular NHL goalie you will have reason but now he has 3 games of NHL experience. 2 against bottom feeders and 7 ga when playing Dallas.
it takes goalies longer and how many games in the NHL do the guys we got in the trade have? 0. When the trade happened, those who were happy were saying that XB would have 2 seasons under his belt by Wall made the NHL.

Wall is the second best goalie prospect not in the NHL right now

Reactions: Game 8 and Spawn

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Sounds like Jarventie's issues are injuries, intensity and defensive conscience. Chaulk has struggled to unlock prospects offensively but he seems to be doing a pretty good job with instilling defensive habits and work ethic. Maybe that's what JJ is hoping for here?

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I don't really know Jarventie, but I did watch highlights of him, and the kid does have a solid one timer from the right side. Bourgault had a very poor season, it was not only not step forward, but it was also a step back. He has not found his game as a pro yet, moving him for someone who still has some value was a solid gamble and move imo.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Jarventie seems like a lesser version of McLeod. Hopefully a bit more scoring but lesser player in every other sense.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jarventie seems like a lesser version of McLeod. Hopefully a bit more scoring but lesser player in every other sense.

Hmm, McLeod is a top skater and a very good defensive forward, Jarventie is more a poor man's Mikko Rantanen. The highest % of MR he'll attain and the happiest you'll be. I mean, if he is just 50% of Rantanen, that's an homerun trade

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'd say third or fourth behind Savoie, O'Reilly and maybe Akey.

I'd say this is about right.

Right now my top 10 (focusing on upside)

1. Savoie
  2. O’Reilly
  3. Jarventie
  4. Akey (could've been 2nd without the injury concerns)
  5. Lavoie
  6. Berezkin
  7. Petrov
  8. Vinni
  9. Wanner
  10. Grubbe
For NHL Readiness, I have...
  1. Kemp
  2. Hamblin
  3. Lavoie
  4. Jarventie
  5. Philp (though like Akey above, I sense a quick shot up these rankings if his game hasn't fallen off)
  6. Rodrigue

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I wasnt sure about this one as its not as clear cut homerun overpay to the oilers.

I thought XB could still be a top prospect but obviously they dont need him in the big club..

In a way they upgraded XB to Savoie and Chiasson to Jarventie and dumped McLeod for cap and maybe the 4th and Tulio cancel eachother out.

Thats pretty shrewd finagling of the roster. Like they havnt "really" given up anything.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I would say it’s more of a reflection of the prospect not being able to earn top 6 ice time in the AHL. Which is consistent with what he’s done since being drafted.
It's not just Bourgault; all of our recent prospects were not given top 6/top pair ice time. Even Holloway and Broberg were slow-played, pushed to lower lines/pairings, and kept down for seasons before they finally forced their way to the NHL club.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's not just Bourgault; all of our recent prospects were not given top 6/top pair ice time. Even Holloway and Broberg were slow-played, pushed to lower lines/pairings, and kept down for seasons before they finally forced their way to the NHL club.

There's the key difference. They performed in a role lower in the lineup and forced their way up. Borgault didn't, which makes sense because he isn't close to as good a player in talent and performance as the other two.

Reactions: PGW and frag2

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
To this end, I agree to a certain extent, but a player has to perform when they are on the ice. Edmonton used to gift entitled 1st round picks ice time, in the decade of darkness. Players earn ice time and push their way into the NHL, not "Hey you were a 1st rounder, here's some cherry PP time for you."
It's not just the ice time; it's also playing with players who can excel together. Like another poster said XG was playing with Caggiula and Pederson, NHL skillsets aren't going to develop and flourish under those conditions.

Will be interesting to see if anything changes, Playing Savoie with similar players would be criminal.

Oh so they earned ice time.
And now they're RFAs when they finally break the roster. Yay, well done on player development and maximizing ELCs.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
There's the key difference. They performed in a role lower in the lineup and forced their way up. Borgault didn't, which makes sense because he isn't close to as good a player in talent and performance as the other two.

I mean, it's probably a little bit of column A and little bit of column B situation with XB. Chaulk didn't exactly put him in a position to succeed full time and when XB got his top 6 chances, he didn't exactly light it up like one would expect from a 'top prospect'

Either way, he's Sens "problem" now

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It's not just the ice time; it's also playing with players who can excel together. Like another poster said XG was playing with Caggiula and Pederson, NHL skillsets aren't going to develop and flourish under those conditions.

Will be interesting to see if anything changes, Playing Savoie with similar players would be criminal.

And now they're RFAs when they finally break the roster. Yay, well done on player development and maximizing ELCs.
Are you suggesting we throw them in the NHL like we used to do?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I always get the impression that the Condors held Holloway and Broberg with higher priority than XB especially Holloway. Once he came in, he bump players down one spot. Not sure if it's a fair comparison

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad