Speculation: CBJ have cap space and willing to add a forward from a cap strapped team.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Fits the timeline; dunno if he fits the room. I'd hesitate.

* * *​

We've got a lot of centers to develop as is, but I think he plays "the right way" well enough that he'd nonetheless be potentially useful.
I don’t think Kane fits because he’s going to potentially miss most of the year. We’d like someone now.

Reactions: Viqsi

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Maybe Dubas never inquired but if they wanted picks

The Rakkell + 2nd for Laine offer I proposed would have allowed them to have 2 2nds instead of 0.

O how the tables have turned.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Why the hell didn’t they just retain on Laine to get more assets back? You could’ve actually started a bidding war and received assets instead of paying a 2nd to offload him. Awful, short-sighted GMing going on in Columbus.
I think it's that ownership doesn't want to spend money on a player who isn't playing in Columbus. They'll spend on a cap dump as long as he's here and dressing for games. They won't retain on a player that isn't here.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Which teams are in cap trouble at this point? I don't see any.
1724856954582.png

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
berggren plus holl for a prospect . holl a pure cap (2x3.4) dump giving detroit more space to sign mo n ray which is needed because seider gonna get 10 and raymond 9 . berggren possibly a long term 20+ goal scorer thats not fitting detroits two way style , plus detroit has forwards in mazur n kasper that could make the jump replacing berggren . which prospect ive no idea . im a fan of berggren , has confidence/hunger/solid offensive talent . i dont want to trade him , but its said detroit might want to so im speculating

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yes, I used the same source. Now do a little research on each team and start by taking out LTIR players from Washington, Vegas, Montreal, and Philly.

Are there teams close to the cap? Yes. Are they at risk of not being cap compliant? No. Do those teams need/want to expend assets for some relief NOW? Pretty unlikely IMO.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Feels like the only moves that would precipitate a cap-dump would be a team (NY Islanders/Rangers for example) trying to acquire either Nikolaj Ehlers or Trevor Zegras in a trade and they can't get the returning cap to work out.

There really doesn't seem to be much else available in the market right now or any teams that are in desperation cap-mode that would need to offload any contracts.

If/when both Landeskog and Nichushkin are back for the Avs they will be squeezed by $3 - 3.5 million (depends upon the pro-rated hit when that occurs); but they have until mid-December at the earliest for that impact and if they can get a clear resolution on each of them it would serve them better than making any decisions too early as it is just as likely that one of them can't/won't return as it is they do.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
For a guy who's been in the league as long as he has, this sentiment from Don Waddell seems to be a little out of touch.

Who's actually trying to unload money right now? Maybe Colorado if Landeskog is a legitimate return candidate?

There's a lot of teams nowhere near the cap -- that would certainly be able to help a Colorado out.
This. It's a substantially rising cap environment. He's a few years late.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Pageau, Wahlstrom, Odelius and a 2025 3rd for CBJ's 2 7ths in 2025

The Isles use the space to sign a JVR for a year or trade for another scoring winger, or both.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I think it will closer to the end of camp and preseason where they’ll do a small trade for a warm body. Nothing to crazy cap hit wise.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Avs come to mind. Would they trade Ross Colton to the Jackets?
Only if a 50% retained Boone Jenner was coming back as we would have no 3C options. Avs will hold on until early/mid December to see how things shake out with Landeskog/Nichushkin before making any major moves. They want to accrue as much cap space as they can for as long as they can. The only move they might make is a PTO as they are short on forwards until Gabe/Val return but Foudy and MacDonald will serve until then and maybe even Cal Ritchie gets a 9 game audition during that time to help bridge the gap.

Avs don't care so much about what happens in October/November; they just want to be ready to roll once the calendar turns to February/March.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The Rangers will give you Trouba for free. He would make a fun power forward that goes around hitting everything.

Don’t worry, we’ll force him to waive that pesky NTC.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Looking at their lineup, i'm confused who they're wanting to push down or what hole they have that a cap dump would fill. By no means a great lineup but all the players in the top 6 need/want top 6 roles, and the bottom 6 is decent.

Unless the 1st priority is to continue to grow the young players, "there doesn't seem to be room for better players in a mediocre lineup" is a hell of a take.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I’d be interested in this considering we don’t have a right handed center on the roster.
Honestly would be worth it moving him out if he’s interested in going. He’s offensively a black hole but wins faceoffs and plays solid defense. He also seems to fix ailments of players who are slumping somehow. Ideally moving him for a pick and/or low end roster player (one of the NHL/AHL tweeners who would be a 18th NHL forward/11th defenseman) would be the ideal return just to move out the cap. It’s a 2 year deal.

The Rangers will give you Trouba for free. He would make a fun power forward that goes around hitting everything.

Don’t worry, we’ll force him to waive that pesky NTC.
Trouba would hear the cannon and immediately elbow the closest person in the head due to the hypnotism he went through this summer from the stress of possibly being traded away from NYC.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Unless the 1st priority is to continue to grow the young players, "there doesn't seem to be room for better players in a mediocre lineup" is a hell of a take.
Well that has to be the priority for Columbus: develop the young players and give them top 9 usage. Otherwise you are wasting Johnson, Sillinger, Voronkov, Marchenko, and Chinakhov. Unless one of them just is not fitting into the teams design any new additions pushes them into 4th line/AHL or press-box duty which doesn't help them or the team.

They aren't a playoff contender so why bother with a short-sided "upgrade" in their forward group just to acquire a 2nd round pick when it comes at the expense of your good prospects on the team right now?

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Jackets should stick to what works.

Run with Johnny Hockey as your only 60-70pt guy.
Let the fans hope rookies break out and debate who we should bring in to play with Johnny.
Let Johnny score some highlight reel goals and win some "important" games over the next 5-6 years.
Make Rick Nash GM if attendance begins to fall.
When Gaudreau retires, retire his number and hang it from the rafters.
Then make him next in line to be GM.

10 / 10
It's been almost 25 years, but the Blue Jackets are still just happy to be there.

Reactions: VeteranPresence
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad