Speculation: CBJ have cap space and willing to add a forward from a cap strapped team.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I've heard that Josh Anderson always loved the beautiful city of Columbus

Help this dude fulfill his desire to return there
Sure, I'm certain that Columbus will be very accommodating. All the Canadiens will have to do is throw their and Calgary's 1st round picks in 2025 the Blue Jackets' way and there's probably a deal to be made.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Sure, I'm certain that Columbus will be very accommodating. All the Canadiens will have to do is throw their and Calgary's 1st round picks in 2025 the Blue Jackets' way and there's probably a deal to be made.

It will probably be Florida's 2025 1st tho, because of those conditions

Can we still make it happen?

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Gaudreau Monahan Marchenko
Jenner Fantilli Chinakhov/Johnson
Voronkov Sillinger Danforth
___________ Kuraly Olivier

I don't know who gets pushed out but Chinakhov and Johnson are kind of redundant. I'd prefer Johnson.

All that to say CBJ could use bigger bodies in the bottom 6 and I assume that's the type of player they are looking for.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Gaudreau Monahan Marchenko
Jenner Fantilli Chinakhov/Johnson
Voronkov Sillinger Danforth
___________ Kuraly Olivier

I don't know who gets pushed out but Chinakhov and Johnson are kind of redundant. I'd prefer Johnson.

All that to say CBJ could use bigger bodies in the bottom 6 and I assume that's the type of player they are looking for.
Huh? Completely different players...

Reactions: thebus88 and Indy18

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Look, we may not agree on whether Jenner is ideally suited for one of the top 2 lines. Nonetheless, it seems that you aren't really disagreeing that to help with their development Jackets young guns need more support in the skill department, not in the grit department. CBJ has the latter covered already.
The Jackets "need more support" in the legit NHL player who helps buffer some of the kids' minutes department.

Look, I think Waddell hoped to add the kind of player we're talking around here to the roster around the same time as he added Monahan, but had to wait for the Laine situation to play out, and that ended up taking all summer. Knowing he got a capable, rosterable back end player in that deal (the other thing he identified) meant he was headed towards camp with that one hole left to fill (please don't read that the CBJ have "only one hole to fill," to mean "to be a playoff team or contender" - you can't solve all of your issues in one offseason).

So he throws out there that he's got some financial flexibility and could find ways to use it if it helps to also complement his roster with a capable, rosterable forward who gives his coach some options to both shelter and support his young, developing players. I also figure Waddell is prepared to not accomplish this before camp or even before the start of the season, but would still like to, if someone has a situation that he can work with.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why the hell didn’t they just retain on Laine to get more assets back? You could’ve actually started a bidding war and received assets instead of paying a 2nd to offload him. Awful, short-sighted GMing going on in Columbus.
Waddell caused the bidding to whittle down to one suitor as it was reported that only the Habs were willing to take Laine without CBJ retaining.

Prior to that, there were pundits saying that 5-6 teams had manifested interest — maybe CBJ could have adjusted its pitch to incite them to bid against each other but Waddell would not budge on his no retention stance.

It’ll work out anyways for CBJ as there are several cash-strapped teams who will be needing cap relief. Ideally, Waddell should have already had teams lined up for a follow up deal — maybe he has, who knows.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Waddell caused the bidding to whittle down to one suitor as it was reported that only the Habs were willing to take Laine without CBJ retaining.

Prior to that, there were pundits saying that 5-6 teams had manifested interest — maybe CBJ could have adjusted its pitch to incite them to bid against each other but Waddell would not budge on his no retention stance.

It’ll work out anyways for CBJ as there are several cash-strapped teams who will be needing cap relief. Ideally, Waddell should have already had teams lined up for a follow up deal — maybe he has, who knows.
More than likely the owner told Waddell he wasn't going to pay for players who aren't playing for the team, then what was he supposed to do?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
More than likely the owner told Waddell he wasn't going to pay for players who aren't playing for the team, then what was he supposed to do?
That’s a possibility. None of us are insiders otherwise we wouldn’t be posting here. Whatever the internal dynamics between Waddell and ownership, point remains that it was not the best negotiating strategy IMHO but cap space is still very valuable.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
That’s a possibility. None of us are insiders otherwise we wouldn’t be posting here. Whatever the internal dynamics between Waddell and ownership, point remains that it was not the best negotiating strategy IMHO but cap space is still very valuable.
We might not be insiders, but we have a decade of history that backs that up.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Either retain or take back a sizeable contract. But, with trade protection and CBJ place in the standings, not likely to get players to waive to go there.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Look, we may not agree on whether Jenner is ideally suited for one of the top 2 lines.
i'm the low guy on jenner on the cbj board but it's pure lunacy to look at his body of work over the last three seasons and say he's not a top six forward.

across the last three seasons, he's scored at a 55p/82gp pace while playing the hardest minutes on one of the worst teams in the league,

even if you look at jenner and say "that guy would be a hell of a 3C on a contender" – which is an accurate assessment – the 7th best forward on a contender is always a "top six" forward in terms of actual talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad