Speculation: CBJ have cap space and willing to add a forward from a cap strapped team.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Kk from the canes makes sense. That way Carolina can sign Jarvis. Probably a third as a sweetener.
Why can't the Canes sign Jarvis as it is now?

They easily have $7mil in space and if he wants more than Svechnikov then I'm sure they would go bridge route for 1 year and circle back in January with Orlov/Burns/Fast coming off the books next season to give him a big raise.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Maybe Dubas never inquired but if they wanted picks

The Rakkell + 2nd for Laine offer I proposed would have allowed them to have 2 2nds instead of 0.

O how the tables have turned.
Jesus, would you move on? Literally no one including other Pens fans was interested in this when you proposed it over and over before the trade, and no one cares now.

Only if a 50% retained Boone Jenner was coming back as we would have no 3C options.
Why would Columbus possibly entertain this?

Well that has to be the priority for Columbus: develop the young players and give them top 9 usage. Otherwise you are wasting Johnson, Sillinger, Voronkov, Marchenko, and Chinakhov. Unless one of them just is not fitting into the teams design any new additions pushes them into 4th line/AHL or press-box duty which doesn't help them or the team.

They aren't a playoff contender so why bother with a short-sided "upgrade" in their forward group just to acquire a 2nd round pick when it comes at the expense of your good prospects on the team right now?
Much more likely they're looking to upgrade on the fourth line wings. Danforth is the definition of replacement level, and Olivier is an enforcer who shouldn't be playing every single game. Even Kuraly should probably be upgraded, but he's probably on his way to a contender as cheap depth at the deadline anyway.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Jesus, would you move on? Literally no one including other Pens fans was interested in this when you proposed it over and over before the trade, and no one cares now.

You did quote so clearly you care.

It's just interesting to see a statement from Waddell talking about taking on cap for a pick.

I felt it was relevant.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well that has to be the priority for Columbus: develop the young players and give them top 9 usage. Otherwise you are wasting Johnson, Sillinger, Voronkov, Marchenko, and Chinakhov. Unless one of them just is not fitting into the teams design any new additions pushes them into 4th line/AHL or press-box duty which doesn't help them or the team.

They aren't a playoff contender so why bother with a short-sided "upgrade" in their forward group just to acquire a 2nd round pick when it comes at the expense of your good prospects on the team right now?

Oh, I entirely agree there. That's definitely what they should be doing. I just thought the take I was responding to was self-contradictory because the thing is... you don't really hear GMs talk about taking on cap and talk about taking on 4th liners as part of the same thought process.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Why would Columbus possibly entertain this?
They wouldn't, and the Avs aren't looking to dump Colton either right now. I was merely posting that the only way the Avs would deal Colton is if they got a cost-controlled 3C in return. It wasn't a legit "proposal" merely pointing out that the Avs would have a huge hole in their lineup based on previous poster wanting Colton to CBJ.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Personally, I think this is misreading the situation from GMDW. While maybe there is a cap dump, I think it may be more likely he's looking at a team that is either tight now or has multiple signings and will be in serious cap trouble. I think of the Rangers with Shesherkin, Laf, KK, Miller... no way they can keep them all. Not saying there is a deal with CBJ, but this would potentially land a valuable piece that can play and take a cap dump to clear the space for the others. I don't think this is just dump crap on the CBJ and provide more picks. The reality is the CBJ does not need more 18 year olds in the pipeline. I think GMDW wants a bottom six player that can lead and provide some drive on this team to show the young players how to play and make CBJ harder to play against.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think GMDW wants a bottom six player that can lead and provide some drive on this team to show the young players how to play and make CBJ harder to play against.
All of this but especially this part.

@HockeyScotty isn't wrong about developing the young players, and his list of those players who should play is spot on. But the problem is it's so many all at once - almost two full lines - and they don't buffer each other's development. Adding one bottom 6 vet isn't going to hamper the development of those players, it's going to enhance it - at least, that would be the thinking. Plus just provide more potential combinations that could spark someone.

Waddell is probably also just putting the concept out there to see if anything crosses his desk that could lead to an interesting and productive conversation.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
It's been almost 25 years, but the Blue Jackets are still just happy to be there.
I think the owners are happy to just make a profit off this product. I don't think anyone is happy to be the doormat of the league, but hey; somebody has to be. That's probably not going to change until Rick Nash becomes GM. Then things will turn themselves around all by themselves.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Personally, I think this is misreading the situation from GMDW. While maybe there is a cap dump, I think it may be more likely he's looking at a team that is either tight now or has multiple signings and will be in serious cap trouble. I think of the Rangers with Shesherkin, Laf, KK, Miller... no way they can keep them all. Not saying there is a deal with CBJ, but this would potentially land a valuable piece that can play and take a cap dump to clear the space for the others. I don't think this is just dump crap on the CBJ and provide more picks. The reality is the CBJ does not need more 18 year olds in the pipeline. I think GMDW wants a bottom six player that can lead and provide some drive on this team to show the young players how to play and make CBJ harder to play against.
Why not sign one of those guys on July 1? I don't think teams at this point in the offseason are thinking "Hey we might be contenders, but let's deal some of our important leaders to Columbus."

Reactions: thebus88

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
That's what "turn themselves around" means.
Yep, but the redundancy seems oddly appropriate.

But I'm so off topic it's annoying. Let me take this a bit more seriously. The CBJ has Johnny Hockey as it's only true 1st line player. Now, he's no Rick Nash (who was big/strong/shooter) who can create things on his own. Johnny needs help, so I expect the next year or two worth of news will be about trying different CBJ players on the first line; trying to fit a 40pt player into a round hole. Probably be Sillinger, he will pop off for 30g soon and then never again come close to it. The center depth is another serious question mark, how many players on good teams will have more individual points than CBJ's top 2 (even 3) centers combined? half a dozen? more? Hm, seems like a excellent environment to develop rookies.

But let me think about this whole cap dump and bottom 6s stuff. I'll let ya'll know what I come up with.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This is why Columbus never meets their expectations. Because they really still think they're one player away from being a playoff team? lol

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
This is why Columbus never meets their expectations. Because they really still think they're one player away from being a playoff team? lol
hm, seems like the problem to me is; they are always 1 player (Nash, then Bob, now Johnny) away from having serious problems. I simply don't have time to argue the importance of having more than 1 top line player on your team. Trust me, the ability to focus on just 1 player to win games, can't be overstated.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I think GMDW wants a bottom six player that can lead and provide some drive on this team to show the young players how to play and make CBJ harder to play against.

I have a different perspective from what seems to be a consensus among CBJ fans.

I count 2 vets in the top 6 (Gaudreau, Monahan), and 4 vets in the bottom 6 (Jenner, Kuraly, Danforth, Olivier). Adding another bottom 6 vet wouldn't really change things much imo. Having more experience in the top 6 however would be beneficial. There isn't that many options out there. Maybe Burakovsky if Seattle wants to make space for Wright?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I have a different perspective from what seems to be a consensus among CBJ fans.

I count 2 vets in the top 6 (Gaudreau, Monahan), and 4 vets in the bottom 6 (Jenner, Kuraly, Danforth, Olivier). Adding another bottom 6 vet wouldn't really change things much imo. Having more experience in the top 6 however would be beneficial. There isn't that many options out there. Maybe Burakovsky if Seattle wants to make space for Wright?
Jenner is not a bottom 6 player and adding another with higher upside than any of the other 3 is a win. Ultimately they're are options for them to consider. Could even be an offer sheet next summer too. They have another 7-10MM coming off the books that can be back filled with more cost effective players. Many of us think this is a what do we have year and do the young players actually take a step forward.

Reactions: Viqsi

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Jenner is not a bottom 6 player and adding another with higher upside than any of the other 3 is a win. Ultimately they're are options for them to consider. Could even be an offer sheet next summer too. They have another 7-10MM coming off the books that can be back filled with more cost effective players. Many of us think this is a what do we have year and do the young players actually take a step forward.

Look, we may not agree on whether Jenner is ideally suited for one of the top 2 lines. Nonetheless, it seems that you aren't really disagreeing that to help with their development Jackets young guns need more support in the skill department, not in the grit department. CBJ has the latter covered already.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
It's been almost 25 years, but the Blue Jackets are still just happy to be there.
If Columbus had favorable expansion draft rules like those employed by Seattle and Vegas—- they would have a completely different story and likely a contender in their history. Hard to start from scratch essentially and just tank until you win. Especially in a place like Columbus, no offense, Buffalo has a similar issue.

Reactions: Viqsi and Ice9

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I've heard that Josh Anderson always loved the beautiful city of Columbus

Help this dude fulfill his desire to return there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad