Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Don't think Kailer is gonna cut it at RW this year. He'll be ready next year.

Chia should just sign Iginla already.

I don't think JP is that far away. I'd rather just bring up JP after he gets up to speed in the AHL. Worst case scenario, put JP on the 3rd line and he'll be fine, and Kassian looked great with Lucic and Nuge on the 2nd line. Kailer might still prove himself, but we'll see. He still has another 8 games to show what he can do.

But if we can sign Iginla for cheap, it would be great for depth and giving Todd an insane amount of options up front. For the same contract as Jagr I would accept it (1m base + 1m bonuses).

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Anyone venture over to that CP cesspool? I'm too lazy to do so but if there are any doozies let us know hahah

What a night. **** the Lames, this win was sweet.

I took a look, and nothing too amazing...except this:

"McDavid and Drai are just on another level compared to Monahan and Gaudreau. Not entirely sure we can win with those guys"

You know you've really won when you've broken the enemy's spirit. :D

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think if they are going to play Yamo, they might as well let him play on the 2nd unit PP ... that's playing more to his strengths.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Boys little late to the party!!!! What a rockin night! I am so happy we pounded the shames. Wasn't even close really. We played a great game but I think there some chemistry between the lines that will get sorted out, and when they do, we will be firing on all cylinders. I liked alot of individual performances tonight, but maybe not much entire lines except McGoats

Reactions: tinfish

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Flames out-shot 16-5 in the 3rd.

But, but, I thought the Flames are supposed to have a top 3 defense in the league! Some Flames fans even said they were the very best! Yet our D out-performed them, and we were missing our #3 Dman in Sekera! So yeah, what's the excuse there? Gio is so over-rated (think he's getting old), and so is Brodie. Hamonic had a very tough last season, and he didn't look that good to me either. If you compare all our D, comparing our #1 Dman to the Flames #1 Dman all the way down to the #6, most of our Dmen were just clearly better. With Klefbom (#1), Larsson (#2), and Nurse (give him any number 3-6; it doesn't matter) it wasn't even close -- they were all much better than their counterparts.

The problems with Flames defence is they have a collection of very solid players, but no one really in that Pronger/Lidstrom tier who could consistently not just defend but shut down the top talent. McDavid made Brodie, Hamilton and Hamonic look like pylons at times.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think JP is that far away. I'd rather just bring up JP after he gets up to speed in the AHL. Worst case scenario, put JP on the 3rd line and he'll be fine, and Kassian looked great with Lucic and Nuge on the 2nd line. Kailer might still prove himself, but we'll see. He still has another 8 games to show what he can do.

But if we can sign Iginla for cheap, it would be great for depth and giving Todd an insane amount of options up front. For the same contract as Jagr I would accept it (1m base + 1m bonuses).
Jagr is still 10x the player iginla is, don't want anything to do with Iginla

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nurse had an excellent night defensively
He plays like that all year we have a player

Yep. I thought Benning was good too. Really like both of them, even Gryba was OK. Klef/Lars are growing too. Our D just looks like a group that's matured a lot.

Our D looked way better than theirs even without Sekera. Even the first caller on the Flames call in show is saying our D is underrated, lol.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
In the last preseason game against the Nuckleheads, Yamamoto looked overmatched at NHL speed. He's not fast enough yet nor strong enough to deal with NHLers.

Iginla isn't the answer. I am pining for Perron, Neal, or something of that ilk. Jagr would have been okay too I guess.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This team is completely playing McLellan's structured system to a tee ... all the garbage from the rebuild-era has been pretty much purged, they play like a full on veteran squad now without all the stupid blunders.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The problems with Flames defence is they have a collection of very solid players, but no one really in that Pronger/Lidstrom tier who could consistently not just defend but shut down the top talent. McDavid made Brodie, Hamilton and Hamonic look like pylons at times.

Yeah, that's true. On our side, most of our D are getting better: Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Benning; they're all getting better and continuing to develop. Calgary's D is at their peak and some guys are past it (or are just over-rated), while most of our D is just getting better and better. You add Sekera with how he played last season to this game, and Flames probably only get 4 shots in the 3rd, nevermind 6 shots. So yeah, I'm not sold on Calgary's D being as impressive as it looks on paper. Too many guys who are aging and not fleet of foot.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In the last preseason game against the Nuckleheads, Yamamoto looked overmatched at NHL speed. He's not fast enough yet nor strong enough to deal with NHLers.

Iginla isn't the answer. I am pining for Perron, Neal, or something of that ilk. Jagr would have been okay too I guess.

I think Perron would be a good fit with the team as it is now if we can get over the whole past history bit, but that might as well have been a life time ago.

Connor McFries

5-14-6-1
Jan 9, 2008
This team is completely playing McLellan's structured system to a tee ... all the garbage from the rebuild-era has been pretty much purged, they play like a full on veteran squad now without all the stupid blunders.

This was the game you saw the Sharks routinely play against the Oilers. 35+ shots every game.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51

That was so evident tonight, the team looks like it has matured.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I took a look, and nothing too amazing...except this:

"McDavid and Drai are just on another level compared to Monahan and Gaudreau. Not entirely sure we can win with those guys"

You know you've really won when you've broken the enemy's spirit. :D

Crushing their soul.

What a difference a year and a bit makes.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Flames ain't winning shit with Gaudreau as their so-called "franchise" player. He's no Jarome Iginla or Theo Fleury even.

Reactions: SpoolCat

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Too bad McDavid can’t score and only can assist. Maybe when he gets older he can work in his shot... maybe one day, he can be like Matthews?

That YYC defense - y’know, the best and most underrated in the league, had bad luck all night. I’m sure they’ll prove how awesome they really are.

If only they had the speedster Jagr playing tonight. He would have been the difference!

`````What a domination tonight. The score flattered the Llames. Talbot with a super easy shutout. McDavid looked even faster than last year?

SUCK IT FLAMES!!!!!

Connor McFries

5-14-6-1
Jan 9, 2008
Another thing I liked was how the Oilers kept going at Smith even though he was having a really good game. In years past, oil would get discouraged and would try to win in a shoot out only to let a goal in the last minute.

Summary from 960:
McDavid so fast
Oil d really good
How about that Jagr tho?

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad