Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
...and with Philly beating San Jose, that makes Edmonton the only home team to win on opening night.

Add another cherry to the top of that cake.

Reactions: Del Preston

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think McLellan wanted Yama to have a front row seat to how an NHL game really looks. I expect him to get more time soon.

This, and Yamamoto honestly looked overwhelmed to my eye. Definitely was an eye-opening experience for him to see how much faster and heavier the real thing is than his preseason games.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I hope McDavid incorporates that take off and fly past everyone from deep in our blue line to his bag of tricks . New weapon he deployed tonight , oh yea he is hell bent on the rocket this year 7 shots lol

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Opening the season like this is like a dream come true. I know we lucked into McDavid, but man. This kind of opener is what I dreamed about when a friend first told me about tanking for 1OA. Getting this kind of home opener against Calgary due to our superstar is like...the best case scenario I was dreaming about a decade ago.

And it came true. It actually came true, you guys. How f***ing amazing is that?!

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Whole team looking good for the opener. McDavid setting the bar for the year. Interesting year ahead of us guys, can't wait!

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
He is becoming the stud I always hoped and envisioned he would. He always had all the tools: the size, the strength, the skating, the shot, the positioning, the IQ. He just needed to slap all those tools together and put in a core i7 CPU to make everything run smooth at NHL speed, and he's doing just that, as he did last season. Only I think he's upgraded his CPU this season to even more beastly one. He was easily the best Dman on the ice; the Corsi shows it, and so did the eye test. He shut everything down, skated many pucks out of harms way, created turnovers in the neutral zone with great vision, and took some very hard slappers at Smith's head. What more could you ask for? Especially the last part. ;)
One of my favourite threads on HF ever was when he signed his deal and the universal consensus was "That's the most money I've ever seen given to a player I've never heard about."

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
GIVE HIM ANOTHER 10 MILLION

SELL THE SHINY BALLS ON THE WHITEMUD. USE THE MONEY TO GIVE HIM A BONUS ONTOP OF HIS BONUS.

I vote we give Connor McDavid the right to at least 50% of the carbon tax. WE ARE NOT WORTHY
Does anybody have that gif from last year where Tkachuk tries to hit Drai and Leon laughs at him?

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Pros:

McDavid is still McDavid
Draisaitl is still Draistail
Talbot is still Talbot
Maroon looks better along the boards this year
Our top D pairing is legit, Klef ripping bombs from the point like he ended last year
Middle two lines looked more comfortable as the game went along
Russel looked well in all three zones this game with benning
Benning and Nurse held their own
Calgary's top rated defence is still overated

Cons:

Gryba is still bad, but Auvitu won't be the answer with Nurse
Yama got pushed down the lineup even after he looked better (although that seems like TMac's m.o.)
Smith still plays lights out against the Oilers

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This, and Yamamoto honestly looked overwhelmed to my eye. Definitely was an eye-opening experience for him to see how much faster and heavier the real thing is than his preseason games.
Agreed, I think it would have been a little easier for him if the game was on the road also. If he plays Saturday in Vancouver he'll be much better.

Last edited:

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Yamamoto kind of looked how I expected this game. The game is a whole lot different than it is in the preseason with the intensity ratcheted up.

Good experience for him and he didn't really hurt the team out there. Didn't really change my opinion that he should be going back to junior though.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Honestly, the only thing to say about this game is that one team has been through a 7-game war with Anaheim in the Conference semis and one has not. The Oilers' intelligence, resilience, checking and smart opportunism is a glorious hangover from the playoff drive. Until that Flames team really goes through a war like that, instead of getting swept aside, they're going to be beatable on any given night. Pretty pathetic display, actually.

Reactions: Nunymare

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Our D was great. They couldn't get squat going, we broke up tons of plays. Especally with Sekera out. Talbot made a couple of good stops when he had to. So that's good. Klefbom is going to score a lot if he shoots that much.

We need more secondary scoring, I almost feel like Chia should go all in on Tavares and move salary as needed. RNH/Puljujarvi/1st out for him w/extension and 1 mill retained, I do it.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Klefsson were legit good. But I also liked what I saw from Russell Benning tonight.

Even Nurse was damn solid. Hell, even Gryba looked just as good as Hamonic (for much cheaper). No complaints for the D thus far.

Seems like the Flames D might just be all hype. Their D really wasn't all that impressive last season, and the only person of real consequence they added was Hamonic, who was pretty awful last season, and he's not the fastest skater. I think their D will be proven to be much over-rated this season.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Benning looked good to me. Don't understand some people saying he was bad.

Gryba on the other hand

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Anyone venture over to that CP cesspool? I'm too lazy to do so but if there are any doozies let us know hahah

What a night. **** the Lames, this win was sweet.

Reactions: Psychoil and Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad