Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alowlyoilersfan

Sep 28, 2017
nurse impressed. Benning was just okay but got better as game went on. Russell was his usual I felt. Grybes was Grybes.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Also haven't seen it mentioned yet - Larsson looked super improved offensively this game. Much stronger shot, really clean passes. He was integral for that first goal, for instance.

Reactions: tinfish

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Also haven't seen it mentioned yet - Larsson looked super improved offensively this game. Much stronger shot, really clean passes. He was integral for that first goal, for instance.
I think part of it is him finally being comfortable in an Oiler sweater, he picked it up as he played more games last year

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Honestly, the only thing to say about this game is that one team has been through a 7-game war with Anaheim in the Conference semis and one has not. The Oilers' intelligence, resilience, checking and smart opportunism is a glorious hangover from the playoff drive. Until that Flames team really goes through a war like that, instead of getting swept aside, they're going to be beatable on any given night. Pretty pathetic display, actually.

I had the same takeaway, the playoff experience really showed tonight, when in past years we’d let in a cheapy in the third and end up in a real dogfight.

Strome looked pretty good by my eye, Todd’s too. Got some good heavy shots off, didn’t make many mistakes, did well with the puck under pressure and tracked back defensively better that he did on the Island last year.

Reactions: oljimmy

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Flames out-shot 16-5 in the 3rd.

But, but, I thought the Flames are supposed to have a top 3 defense in the league! Some Flames fans even said they were the very best! Yet our D out-performed them, and we were missing our #3 Dman in Sekera! So yeah, what's the excuse there? Gio is so over-rated (think he's getting old), and so is Brodie. Hamonic had a very tough last season, and he didn't look that good to me either. If you compare all our D, comparing our #1 Dman to the Flames #1 Dman all the way down to the #6, most of our Dmen were just clearly better. With Klefbom (#1), Larsson (#2), and Nurse (give him any number 3-6; it doesn't matter) it wasn't even close -- they were all much better than their counterparts.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
was lucky enough to attend the game tonight. That early McDavid chance had the crowd in it from the very start. Thought we completely controlled puck possession--- and my slightly intoxicated eyes may have deceived me--- but I thought we were great on draws, especially in the first?? Almost seems hard to believe.

McDavid is in another world as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes it still feels like a dream I should be waking up from with that guy. WOW!

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Whole team looking good for the opener. McDavid setting the bar for the year. Interesting year ahead of us guys, can't wait!

Yep, dreamy home opener. Compare that to our home opener in 14/15 under Eakins and thank the Lord how far we've come in 3 short years. Exciting times ahead.

Reactions: Dorian2

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
One of my favourite threads on HF ever was when he signed his deal and the universal consensus was "That's the most money I've ever seen given to a player I've never heard about."

LOL, that's true. I remember that. Most know him by now from his awesome season last season, but I think Klefbom will be even better this season, and there will be no one who follows hockey who doesn't know who he is and what he can do.

Reactions: KingKhron

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I had the same takeaway, the playoff experience really showed tonight, when in past years we’d let in a cheapy in the third and end up in a real dogfight.

Strome looked pretty good by my eye, Todd’s too. Got some good heavy shots off, didn’t make many mistakes, did well with the puck under pressure and tracked back defensively better that he did on the Island last year.
Strome is better at draws than I anticipated.

Connor McFries

5-14-6-1
Jan 9, 2008
Favorite moment: on the 41 kmph goal you could see McDavid slow down and decide where he wanted to shoot. Then in comes Brodie into the frame, head down, legs pumping like crazy and he still couldn't catch up to McDavid.

Also was getting worried about Talbot. He seemed bored out there.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't think Kailer is gonna cut it at RW this year. He'll be ready next year.

Chia should just sign Iginla already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad