Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
the thing that impresses me about the second goal is how he is moving so fast but slows down and avoids contact with everyone

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Flames board says that this loss is all Troy Brouwer's fault, hahah.

I honestly don't remember more than one or two good scoring chances against Talbot.

McDavid was incredible, but I thought RNH had a hell of a game. All over the ice. Klefbom was dreamy too.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Fantastic night again for McDavid, feels awesome being a fan and watching that. I'm rather concerned, again, about the secondary scoring -- where the hell is it going to come from? Also rather telling that Yamamoto was essentially stapled to the bench midway through the 2nd and into the 3rd; I suspect he will get sent down before the 9 game trial is up. He will need to find how to play his game, and be another order of magnitude more efficient and effective than in junior, to become productive at his size in the NHL. 1st rookie game, I get it but he just doesn't seem ready yet to handle the rigours against real NHL squads and not the pre-season lineups he was up against.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I really liked Kassian with Nuge and Lucic. Yamamoto should get another chance, but I'd have no issue with Kassian getting a shot on the 2nd line RW spot at some point. Take Yamamoto out, put Kassian up on line 2 and run a 4th line of Khaira-Letestu-Pak.

But Yamamoto needs a few more looks first.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
How many wins in a row is that against Calgary now, including preseason, last regular season and preseason, etc. Must be at least 7 or 8 games now.

I think it's 12 now.

What's it saying about Calgary when Glass was arguably their best forward tonight?

He's obviously going to be overshadowed with McJesus having a game like that, but Nuge was phenomenal tonight. He's getting some confidence with the puck back. Hopefully it can continue and he can finally put up the 60-70 points he's always been capable of.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Also will point out that outside of the first few shifts and then the occasional offensive zone start McLellan mercifully put McDavid out there with Klefbom/Larsson instead of Nurse/Gryba.

Which led to a Klefbom firing squad.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
GIVE HIM ANOTHER 10 MILLION

SELL THE SHINY BALLS ON THE WHITEMUD. USE THE MONEY TO GIVE HIM A BONUS ONTOP OF HIS BONUS.

I vote we give Connor McDavid the right to at least 50% of the carbon tax. WE ARE NOT WORTHY

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think McLellan wanted Yama to have a front row seat to how an NHL game really looks. I expect him to get more time soon.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Fantastic night again for McDavid, feels awesome being a fan and watching that. I'm rather concerned, again, about the secondary scoring -- where the hell is it going to come from? Also rather telling that Yamamoto was essentially stapled to the bench midway through the 2nd and into the 3rd; I suspect he will get sent down before the 9 game trial is up. He will need to find how to play his game, and be another order of magnitude more efficient and effective than in junior, to become productive at his size in the NHL. 1st rookie game, I get it but he just doesn't seem ready yet to handle the rigours against real NHL squads and not the pre-season lineups he was up against.

The 2nd line looked very good, actually. Especially in the 3rd period with Kassian on it; Kass nearly scored a goal on a sweet pass to him, all alone in the slot, but Smith made a great stop. I thought our 2nd line looked very dangerous at times. Smith just has our number (but not McDavid's). If our 2nd line keeps that effort up, they're going to score some goals this season, IMO.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Klefbom and Larsson were studly.

How about Nurse? Thought he was better than any of the Flames D tonight, but those overrated chumps aren't a hard bar to beat. In all seriousness, Nurse was stellar.
Agreed on Nurse. Very solid game tonight. Smart defensive reads, showed some more awareness in the offensive zone. All around great game.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It was the officiating.
The Oilers were lucky.
The players are still learning Gulutzan's system.
The Flames were in their worst stretch of the season.
It was Elliott's fault.
It was Johnson's fault.
The Flames were in their second worst stretch of the season.
The refs are out to get the Flames because of Wideman.

What's the excuse tonight?

Sam Bennett looks like the same terrible player, except he has a beard now. Jagr has his work cut out for him if he gets stuck on the same line.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid will (deservedly!) grab the headlines, but that was a damn fine defensive performance by the whole team. Gaudreau and Monahan got nothing tonight.
It was a great defensive performance from the whole team. But honestly the reason Gaudreau and Monahan got nothing going was because they never had the puck. McLellan went power vs power and Gaudreau/Monahan couldn't keep up with McDavid/Drai.

It's got to sting being a Flames fan and knowing your "star" forward isn't at all close to what we've got here. lmao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad