Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I dont know about you, but I'd be down to add James Neal at the deadline if we are a true contender. Really missing a sniper on RW (yes I know Drai is playing RW but I would still like him as C)

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He can pretty much win a game by himself. The nice thing was even though he had all of our goals I thought all of our lines were superior to their lines, not just the first line. Overall great game by the Oilers and I hope they dont take Vancouver lightly and put in the same effort as tonight!

Yep, we created some very nice chances, apart from the McDavid goals, and McDavid also had a couple other chances to score, including a partial break on the left side, and tried to go 5-hole, to no avail. But Kassian had a grade-A chance from a great pass from either Nuge or Lucic (not sure) and they had a couple other chances, too. Drai made a nice power move on Bennett, and made him look like a junior player, and that was a really good chance. Klefbom had at least a handful of absolute blasts from the point that could've went in with the right bounce. So yeah, I don't think we need to worry about the lack of offense in this game from players not named McDavid. Many of our top players had chances and had lots of shots, and that's a very good sign. I'm not even close to being worried about that yet. Smith has always had our number, too. I think we'll fare better against most other goalies.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Isn't it crazy that McDavid is actually this good at hockey? Like... tonight he scored a hatrick and was amazing. But it didnt even really feel like anything special out of him lol. For almost any other player in the NHL this would have been the best game of their career. For McDavid it felt pretty normal lol.

Reactions: subnet and Ol' Jase

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Smith was good, he stopped a lot of quality chances from you guys
The defense wasn’t top notch, but they still got the job done for the most part (excluding McDavid wheeling around us a few times).

What our main problem was tonight was never getting any scoring chances in your end. It was a pretty easy game for Talbot, and I was impressed by the Oilers’ D even without Sekera.

It was definitely a frustrating game to watch, but I can at least say all of the Smith “sucks” talk should go away. He was solid tonight. But unfortunately, he had a Coyote-like team in front of him today offensively.

EDIT: and McDavid is McDavid.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Haven't seen a player avoid contact like that since Gagner when he came back to soon from his broken jaw injury.

Not exactly the type of player you build a winning hockey team around.

Gaudreau reminds me of Eberle. If given the time and space he can look exceptional but against the big tight checking teams he tends to disappear. He's definitely a complimentary player and not one of those players who can carry the team when the going gets tough. Monahan is more of that player imo. Monahan needs a big sniper on his line (could be Jagr as a quick fix) and Gaudreau should be on line 2

Reactions: Uchiha

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Smith was good, he stopped a lot of quality chances from you guys
The defense wasn’t top notch, but they still got the job done for the most part (excluding McDavid wheeling around us a few times).

What our main problem was tonight was never getting any scoring chances in your end. It was a pretty easy game for Talbot, and I was impressed by the Oilers’ D even without Sekera.

It was definitely a frustrating game to watch, but I can at least say all of the Smith “sucks” talk should go away. He was solid tonight. But unfortunately, he had a Coyote-like team in front of him today offensively.

EDIT: and McDavid is McDavid.

Smith has a knack of being a god against the Oilers. I think before you get too confident in him you'll need to see him against other teams.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'm surprised how much acceptance we are seeing out of Flames fans on 960. I expected a lot more denial, anger, bargaining, and depression.

I have to give a lot of respect to our southern neighbors, pretty level headed thus far.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Isn't it crazy that McDavid is actually this good at hockey? Like... tonight he scored a hatrick and was amazing. But it didnt even really feel like anything special out of him lol. For almost any other player in the NHL this would have been the best game of their career. For McDavid it felt pretty normal lol.

He could have scored 5 or 6 goals tonight, one of these days it's going to happen for him. He generate so many breakaways and odd man rushes it's hillarious. It's like a video game instead of real life. Even in EA NHL 18, skating all the way up from your own end to score like that 2nd goal is pretty tough, lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm surprised how much acceptance we are seeing out of Flames fans on 960. I expected a lot more denial, anger, bargaining, and depression.

I have to give a lot of respect to our southern neighbors, pretty level headed thus far.

Fan960 callers are much more reasonable, CP is a pure echo chamber of stupid, they will never give their opponents any credit, there's always some excuse. They're the only fanbase in the NHL that chooses to hide on their own forum rather than really post here.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Another good sign, which I don't think has been mentioned, is how McDavid is looking to shoot more. Even the EN goal, last season he would've held on to it for a while and maybe even passed it off, even if it meant not getting the hatty, as he's never seemed like one to care about such things to me; he just wants to win. But I'm glad he just took the shot right away and buried it. If McDavid keeps up this level of play every game and takes his shots, he's gonna pot a nice amount of goals this year.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Fan960 callers are much more reasonable, CP is a pure echo chamber of stupid, they will never give their opponents any credit, there's always some excuse. They're the only fanbase in the NHL that chooses to hide on their own forum rather than really post here.

CP are convinced that Jagr will be their savior. They're grasping at straws. I think they might think twice when they see how slow he is. He'll help their PP for sure, but not sure how he adds much at even-strength.

Now they need to take swipes at our jerseys to feel better about themselves. LOL!
Keep grasping at those straws! Flames fans are funny.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I'm on mobile and honestly would not have the skills to post the highlight anyways... but that backhand pass by Drai on the empty netter was disgusting... that's Oilers hockey now. We'll hit you right in your f***ing mouth and then score a beauty

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

I think they went through those stages last season, when we hammered them from pre-season straight through the regular season. A lot of them now seem to be at the final 'acceptance' stage. They can't fool themselves any longer into not believing into just how good McDavid is (along with our forward depth in general) as well as the fact that Klefbom-Larsson are the real deal, and better than any pairing they have, and that Talbot is an elite #1. They just can't deny it anymore. Well some might, but they're just fooling or lying to themselves.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chia's still got some work to do. If he can unlock that mystical secondary scoring forward ... look out. The D looked very confident, Talbot was Talbot.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm on mobile and honestly would not have the skills to post the highlight anyways... but that backhand pass by Drai on the empty netter was disgusting... that's Oilers hockey now. We'll hit you right in your f***ing mouth and then score a beauty

I think that's what makes that Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl line so dominate. The cycle for 30 seconds before the first goal, the speed on the second (ludicrous speed, Go! indeed), and the third having a) Lucic run over a some poor sucker, b) Drai's daft, little, no-look backhand pass, and c) McDavid's pose to wait for the defenceman to slide through the shooting lane.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just home from the game. Watched the "Best D in the League". They were the Oilers D.

Oh and someone needs to step up and put that little shit Tkachuk out of his misery.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We honestly might have to sign Patty and just let one of Strome or RNH go. He just does a lot of things right on that line.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I love how the BOA is really no big deal for McDavid since he grew up on the East Coast, lol. It's just like a "yeah it's nice to beat these guys again, glad you fans enjoyed it" type thing, haha.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I dont know about you, but I'd be down to add James Neal at the deadline if we are a true contender. Really missing a sniper on RW (yes I know Drai is playing RW but I would still like him as C)

The chemistry him and McDavid have is too good. He can play center if the team needs a shakeup and even then i wouldn't mind just trying him with Nuge instead. I think it also needs to be considered that Strome seems to be more comfortable and center and i thought looked pretty good there tonight while Nuge was everything you'd want a 2nd line center to be tonight. I do agree a RW would be great since i don't think Caggiula is as effective on the right and i think it's Nuge who could really benefit from a guy like Neal or a different skilled shooter who isn't soft.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
How in the world does McDavid look even faster than last year?

His speed on that second goal... good lord. Blew by a D who was basically sprinting back before he got to the red line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad