Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
With regards to Yamamoto, I will say for such a small kid, he is damn strong on his edges. There were a couple of times during board battles where I was sure he going to end up on his butt, but he took the contact and stayed on his feet. I think asking him to play in the NHL right now is a big ask, but he will be a gamer for us in a year's time.

Keep in mind that this was a rivalry game, so this wasn't your average regular season game. I'd like to see him get at least a few more chances before we decide to keep him or send him down.

I do kinda miss Pitlick though I thought Khaira was pretty decent. I wouldn't have minded signing Pitlick for 1 mill per for a few years as a cheap bottom sixer. Yeah he gets hurt a lot, but so what, it's a small salary and then you can just slide in some other 13th forward for him.

I liked that Lucic RNH Kassian line ... physical and big. We should try that again on Saturday.

I liked Pitlick a lot too. That said Khaira is bigger, meaner and tougher all while getting much quicker this past offseason.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Yeah I miss Pitlick as well. It's too bad you can't keep more players on your roster. Perhaps they should change that rule. There's so many NHL caliber players that it makes every team make some very tough decisions -- this seems more obvious when players like Jagr, Iginla, Doan, etc. either can't get jobs, or are just barely able to get employment (not to mention all the guys that have to go to Europe); but even just being able to add one more forward to the regular roster would be nice, and give a better buffer against injuries, without having quality guys you're sending down to the AHL who can be picked off in waivers. If we could've kept one more forward than the rules allowed, I think we would've kept him. But Mgmt also knew they had to keep a spot open for JP or other possible surprises. But I wish Pitlick the best.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Some are writing Yamamoto off a little too soon. It's not "off to juniors you go" quite yet.

We're only 6 minutes into his actual NHL career.

I'll be BOLD and say he does much better in his next outing, with much more ice time as well and will score a point in his next game as well.

Like others have said, this was a special type of game... hyped up season opener vs a perennial provincial rival. Pretty much the most pressure and intensity that any opponent will throw at the Oilers outside of a playoff game.

I think it was definitely a case of McLellan letting him observe as much as play in this game. Some might say he probably should have skipped this game and played in a road game 1st... but regardless, he has his 1st game under his belt and I think nerves and these 1st game jitters will give way to a little more calmness in future games.

Much too early to proclaim him too small/nervous/weak for the NHL this season. It's going to take several more games to get to any point of assessing whether he can handle this level of play and my guess is that he likely can.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Just got back from the game and could not have picked a better one to go to. Shutting out the flames and a McDavid hatty :popcorn:

A thoroughly dominating game by the team tonight. Obviously the top line and Talbot were great, but I thought Nurse, Nuge and Kass had solid games. Klefbom looked like a number 1 too, him and Larsson are legit.

God I missed watching McDavid, such a treat to watch.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Wait. How did the crap D oilers just shutout the top 3 D flames? Flames got walked all night, How can this be true?

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I've only been on there a couple of times but CalgaryPuck is some funny shit. You can never really generalize a fan base because that spans an incredibly diverse span of people but that site is a giant pile of crap and the flies have come to it. Would our moderators even allow a "Calgary is a shit place - Let's talk about why" thread?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Some are writing Yamamoto off a little too soon. It's not "off to juniors you go" quite yet.

While I think it would've been good to keep Jesse in the Oilers I agree with this. I'm pretty sure they're planning to give Yamo at least a game or two more.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I feel so bad for having missed all of the 3rd period.

First player I really noticed was RNH. His active stick was on point early on.

Then I saw Yamamoto. His first shift was weak. He was too nervous. He looked better with every shift. I recall seeing to quality shifts out of him. He over extended his zone coverage a few times, but I think I see a brilliant positional player in the making. As long as active stick improves (looks kinda cool at times already) and he starts scoring we could have a guy playing more than 9 games. I say it's 50/50 at this point.

Russell took an early penalty early on but he rewarded us later by showing us that he can pinch competently in the offensive zone. That could turn into a new weapon.

Klefbom stuck out after his first shot on goal. It made me remember the high % of games we won last year when Klefbom got 4 or more shots on net. Klefbom had a number of good shots on net. That one that hit Smith in the head will be in Oilers clips for the rest of eternity!

Kassian was a beast. Stealing pucks, winning battles in the corners and even creating turnovers just by scaring the shit out of his opponents by skating in their direction.

Talbot has a couple of sweet saves in in the first two periods I watched, but most of his saves were pretty easy. Flames had a hard time getting set up in the offensive zone.

McDavid was sublime and I only got to see 1 goal. McDavid and Maroon won so many puck battles and so many races to the puck. Maroon did a great job of pissing off the Flames.

Letesnu seemed ready for the season.

Jokinen looks like he knows what he's doing.

Caggulia got dinged up twice in the game. How does that work? I like the #91 on his back. He had a C game but it didn't look like he ever got a chance to get going.

Did the coach change the lines up in the 3rd period? Because I didn't see Lucic doing a whole lot in the first two periods in the stat sheet makes it look like he had a really busy night. 5 hits, 1A, +1, 2 blocked shots and 1 shot on goal.

Was a fun first two periods. Nice to see McDavid went on to get a hat trick.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

We're only 6 minutes into his actual NHL career.

I'll be BOLD and say he does much better in his next outing, with much more ice time as well and will score a point in his next game as well.

His first shift looked brutal but he started getting more comfortable with each shift.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Dropping off before the third period started was the right move for my life, but I really wish I got to watch McDavid score a hat trick. I have missed each one of those so far.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
There has been a nagging feeling about our defence until Sekera gets back. I have seen that crap show too many times. The season could be derailed before the end of October.

The best part about last night was our defence was not just solid, it was exceptional. Last night was one of the best defensive performances I have seen in a long time by any team. There was almost zero panic, just 6 guys doing their jobs. IMO, this is a tribute to our coaching.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Not to be a downer, but I don't see Calgary's offence being top 15 in the league. Nor Vancouver's.

Want to see how this d core reacts to a Winnip-oh, they lost 7-2!?? Must've been against a powerh-Toronto?!

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Haha where is greatkeith and Guymez now.

really? a great win and the first thing you can think to do is mock other posters? be better than that.

nothing about peppering smith with over 40 shots even though he has the "best defense in the league" in front of him?
solid effort by everyone, a shut out, friggin McDavid?

Guymez drove 3 hours to get to the game and the same to get back home, and paid good money to do so, and you're going to mock him? he's a great fan of the team, but looks at them with a fair and critical eye. can you do the same?

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I felt that people really under rated the Oilers defense last season, but holy cow if they keep playing like last night they won't be able to for much longer.
Klefbom-Larsson were great, just rock solid in every part of the ice and looking surpremely confident, I thought Nurse had a real strong night and also looked confident, Gryba was solid, which for Gryba is about all you can ask, couple iffy moments but that happens. Russell looked good, Benning I thought had a couple iffy moments but overall was solid too. Sekera comes back and that D is top to bottom just a solid group, and the buy in from the forwards as well, this team will win as much by it's ability to not give up goals as they will the ability to score. Lots of people don't see that about the Oilers, even the media before the game with their stupid offense vs. defense storyline. Oilers are a good defensive team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have to give some props to Gryba, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but he looked quicker out there. Seemed to move around with much improved crispness.

He's still a #7 defenseman, but if he improved his skating as much as it looked like, the Oilers might be a decent spot until Sekera comes back.

And Klefbom had 9 shots? WTF? Oilers fans, your #1 defenseman.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Great way to start the year.

Oddly enough, one of the things I'm happiest about is Lucic looked fantastic. I've never liked him, the signing, and worst of all how poorly he played to start last year - looked like a different guy this game, that's awesome.

I also thought Kassian and Klefbom looked great. Maroon and Nuge "looked" good but didn't have particularly great games.

It was also nice not seeing Eberle and Pouliout doing dumb things. Seems like a smarter team all around.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You're not being a downer at all Mcnofool6110, but the Oilers didn't "scrap" by against that offense, they utterly shut them down and dominated them. There's so many positives from last night.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I have to give some props to Gryba, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but he looked quicker out there. Seemed to move around with much improved crispness.

He's still a #7 defenseman, but if he improved his skating as much as it looked like, the Oilers might be a decent spot until Sekera comes back.

And Klefbom had 9 shots? WTF? Oilers fans, your #1 defenseman.

Gryba improved his skating and handled the puck adequately. I am okay if this is who we have filling the hole, but I wanna see what Auvituu can bring to the table.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Great game. Was a bit worried at times when Russell and Benning were out there, but other than that a solid game. Strome was very quiet. Yamamoto struggled a bit too. Thought Nuge played with a little bit more of a step in his game and he looked more creative than usual, moving his feet more and using his edges. Encouraging to see, I hope that continues.

McDavid is a God, but Drai deserves credit too. So many people (especially on the mains) seem to think Drai is just riding McDavids coattails, but honestly Drai has a big part in McDavids production too. Without him I don't know if McD gets goal #1 and #3. That line as a whole was utterly dominant, just like last year, which is really nice to see. But on the other hand, the Oilers look very much like a one line team when our top two offensive producers are on the same line.

Klef and Lars rock solid as usual. Maybe this year they start to get the recognition they deserve.

Tricky game for Talbot but he was calm and composed and did his job. Definitely had to make some tough saves here and there.

Calgary just doesn't look like a threat at all. They were barely able to get anything going offensively and I thought Tkachuk in particular looked very bleak. Their defense is easily the most overrated d-core in the league. If it wasn't for Smith this could've been a 5-0 game.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Gryba improved his skating and handled the puck adequately. I am okay if this is who we have filling the hole, but I wanna see what Auvituu can bring to the table.

He was pretty average in the preseason. I don't see a roster spot for him once Sekera gets back. That being said, maybe he improves and overtakes Gryba for the #7 slot.

Overall a pretty solid first game. You really couldn't pick one player that had a bad game. The Oilers embarrassed them and without Smith in net I think it could have been 6 or 7-0.

TM NEEEEDDDDSS to try the Lucic Nuge Kass line against Vancouver. After Yamamoto was replaced by Kass that line didn't have a bad shift for the remainder of the game. Small sample size but from what we seen there no reason to not give it a shot. TM needs to find a second line that gels because you have to keep Mcdavid and Drai together. They are money.

Nuge played a lot better but he is still from what I seen in that game a shell of his former offensive self. Needs to put up 50+ points this year or I think we say goodbye to him in the offseason(and we may be forced to anyways).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad