Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Great way to kick off the season!

Top line and D played well, very impressive.

Remaining lines were very concerning for me. Flames weren't doing anything and the rest got very little to no offensive chances. Lucic was brutal.

Talbot is looking in mid season form which is awesome! He made one catch in the air that I didn't even understand how it stayed in his glove haha.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I thought you guys were exaggerating about the anti-Brouwer stuff from Flameland, but they are really taking him to the woodshed. It's weird, I didn't even notice he had that bad a game. But even if he did, it's still weird. It's like if the Oilers played a game where everybody outside of the goalie played poorly but we all decided to ignore the key players and pile on Jussi Jokinen instead.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Honestly I thought Larsson has played like hot garbage all preseason and was a little bit concerned about it.

Guess he was just coasting.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ya Flames just need a whipping boy to focus their anger on and to put the goat horns on an individual so they can feel better about their stinky team.

I'm sure Brouwer is the reason they were out shot 45-27, their dmen were turned into pylons several time and he's also the reason Gaudreau, Frolik, Bennett had zero shots as well.

Their two best forwards last night were probably Glass and Hathaway... and if that's the case... that goes to show their team was outclassed by miles.

Smith was the only reason they weren't embarrassed even worse than they were.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I thought you guys were exaggerating about the anti-Brouwer stuff from Flameland, but they are really taking him to the woodshed. It's weird, I didn't even notice he had that bad a game. But even if he did, it's still weird. It's like if the Oilers played a game where everybody outside of the goalie played poorly but we all decided to ignore the key players and pile on Jussi Jokinen instead.

That's exactly what would have happened around here, except it would have been Nuge or Cagguila and not Jussi.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Watching yesterday game, I couldn't help but wonder how much better the Oilers would be if we added someone like Doughty to push Klef and Larsson one spot down and we have the pieces to make the move too without hurting our current team

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Some thoughts

McDavid- Nothing needs to be said. Can legitimately challenge for the Rocket this year. Well win many, many games because of him. Not even phased when teams fans start saying "well only Mcdavid beat us". Oilers have McDavid at the end of the day, so doesn't matter how wins are coming

Draisaitl- Mcdavid gets all the praise but Draisaitl was a man amongst boys last night. He was clowning the Flames D in the corners. Best instance was when he was tanking thru them for a while, then the Flames D got the puck back and tried to skate it up, instead Draisaitl comes from behind them and steals the puck back and goes back to doing what he does. McDavid and Draisaitl have the best dynamic in the NHL, one dominates on the rush, the other on the cycle, and both do good in both areas too. Draisaitl probably has the most deceptive/sneaky/underrated shots in the NHL. Should have had 1 or 2 tonight

Maroon/Lucic- Ill lump them together because they had similar games. Liked em both. Maroon is proving again to be a great fit

RNH- Loved his game, absolutely thrilled for what hell bring this year. He looks incredible at entering the zone and setting up plays. Hes a lot more assertive out there this year, vs being a passive player in years past. Hes a smart player but too often in the past he tried to overrely on his smarts to slow the game down. But unlike Thorton he doesn't have the size so that didn't work. When hes moving his feet, he does very well. Didn't result in a ton of chances on net, but that will come. If RNH plays 2c like this for 81 more games, we are good to go

Yamamoto- Eh, up and down game. He didn't blow me away but he played a solid game. He knows where to be and hes responsible all over the ice. However, another game or 2 like that and hes goes back to Spokane (which is not a discredit to his play). For me, if he wants to stay up all year he needs to blow me away. Last night he proved hes an NHL player, but that wont cut it given his contract status and sliding ELC availability. Slepyshev can essentially play the same game

Klefbom- Oh baby baby. Cant contain my excitement watching him. 9 shots ?!, 5 of which that were lethal and near goals?! and 1 that rocked Smith square in the face ?! Someone pinch me. Klefbom could legitimately score 20 goals this year if our PP is top 5 again. Remember when we wanted that bomb for the point on the PP? Well Klefbom is it. Guy just slides into open areas and knows where to be, so don't think those shots were just fluke or something. He also had a great game in his own end too

Larsson- Love this guy, looking even better than last year. Not much else to be said because this guy plays such a calm, cool and collected game. Larsson-Klefbom pairing were imposing their will last night. They made Calgarys forwards look like Peewee B6 plays. Every dump in was easily collected and moved up ice, every zone entry was challenged and stopped. People say Gaudreau was invisible last night, it was because of Larsson and this pairing

Russell/benning- a few iffy moments but I liked this pairing. Benning looks like he did last year, Russell looks better on his left side. Still strongly dislike Russells love of flipping the puck from our blue line to their blue line and last night resulted in 2 rushes back on our net. But he made 2/3 great stretch passes that made up for it

Nurse/gryba- good solid game, Did what they needed to

Kassian- My god I love this guy. Like this guy is a machine. He just somehow creates 2 or 3 great chances every night and scores super clutch goals (not tonight but last season). Then goes out and fights and scares the crap outta people

Jokinen/Strome/Khaira- Jussi was good but more quiet, Strome was meh and Khaira had an off game

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Just made a visit to CF...hahaha. They seem to be more concerned about what TV/radio/Media/Internet/the entire f***ing world is thinking about them than actually having any semblance of a rational discussion on the finer details (or lack thereof in their teams case) of the Flames game. What I say here isn't entirely true BTW, but too bad you butt hurt Flames fans. You're getting what's been coming to you for years now.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I've said it before. I think coaching plays a part. McClellan is a far superior coach to Gulutzan. The Oilers were ready to play. Pretty much every Oiler was ready to play tonight, there were no passengers, and they played a system to a tee. Then when you add in special players, it makes it that much more lopsided.

You can see it in the Jets - Leafs game as well. Babcock makes Maurice look like an amateur.
I had time yesterday to watch both games, so I completely agree with what you've said. Being outcoached was most definitely the reason why we lost that game.

KilmKostin

Sep 28, 2017
Hey guys, did Lucic play with McDavid yesterday? I had him on a line with RNH but my Score App player analysis had him on McDavid's line.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Watching yesterday game, I couldn't help but wonder how much better the Oilers would be if we added someone like Doughty to push Klef and Larsson one spot down and we have the pieces to make the move too without hurting our current team

Doughty+McDavid+Draisaitl+Klefbom+Larsson+Talbot...

Forget the 82 regular season games... do not pass go... go straight to the SCF.

Teams would be screaming unfair and arcane new NHL rules would be created prohibiting having too many players with the letters D or L somewhere in their last names.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
"Its me Travis, you're probably wondering how I got into this situation"

DLYnnbMVAAAQPGq.jpg

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
When the Oilers are on their game, they are a very tough matchup:

McDavid creates so much havoc for the other teams. I think he petrifies other teams defense. They dont know what their suppose to do with him. His speed kills.

Draisaitl is such a physical presence and him and McDavid create so much space for each other. They are so dominant.

Having players like Maroon, Lucic, Kassian, Nurse, Gryba etc I think also plays a psychological role. I think at times can make the other teams play a bit more timid, and I think probably allows their skill players to do their things. The Oilers have tough players but they can play too.

TM has this team playing a good system too. Their defensive structure is so much better than in the past. I think too many times people just look at the names on the roster, rather than looking at the system that they play.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I had time yesterday to watch both games, so I completely agree with what you've said. Being outcoached was most definitely the reason why we lost that game.

Yeah, I'm thinking you guys need to change that. We went through that shit for too many years here. I don't watch many Flames games, but it's telling that a number of Flames don't seem to be responding to the system in place.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hey guys, did Lucic play with McDavid yesterday? I had him on a line with RNH but my Score App player analysis had him on McDavid's line.

Lucic played with RNH. Was Maroon, McDavid and Draisaitl together on a line.

Lucic was on the ice for McDavids empty net goal.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Doughty+McDavid+Draisaitl+Klefbom+Larsson+Talbot...

Forget the 82 regular season games... do not pass go... go straight to the SCF.

Teams would be screaming unfair and arcane new NHL rules would be created prohibiting having too many players with the letters D or L somewhere in their last names.

So the League cries about us getting so many 1st overalls, NOW they'll complain we are too good so they change the format of the game? LOL I'd laugh if that happened.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah, I'm thinking you guys need to change that. We went through that **** for too many years here. I don't watch many Flames games, but it's telling that a number of Flames don't seem to be responding to the system in place.
I wouldn't read too much into it. We've always been slow burners. We always think the season starts in November. Honestly, if the Flames have the same points in GP (12 in 12) this month that would make me a happy camper.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I wouldn't read too much into it. We've always been slow burners. We always think the season starts in November. Honestly, if the Flames have the same points in GP (12 in 12) this month that would make me a happy camper.

To be honest last season I thought there was no way you guys would make the playoffs after your bad start but it seems like historically you guys are slow starters so I'll still predict a Flames postseason appearance

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yeah, I'm thinking you guys need to change that. We went through that **** for too many years here. I don't watch many Flames games, but it's telling that a number of Flames don't seem to be responding to the system in place.

Might be the arrogance of winning but I disagree with this. I felt that the Oilers were the better team from top to bottom and Calgary's coaching is the only thing that kept it close. We really didn't have many true grade A scoring chances, outside of McDavid of course.

When I look at the Flames on paper I am not a fan of their team. Their team has too many puck movers and shakers and far too few two way types and players just difficult to play against. Harmonic was a great add but he had a terrible year last year and needs to return to form. I think Glen has done wonders for this team. Has them playing far above anything Hartley every accomplished, at least in terms of a two way game. I didn't expect them to make the playoffs last year and they did it by feasting on lower end competition and ended up with a good record. Which is exactly what you have to do if you don't have a power house team yourself.

Glen isn't Eakins. Their systems and play are much improved under him. He is no superstar coach but he is legit NHL calibre IMO and the Flames most likely could do a lot worse.

If you wanted an easy example of what I am talking about all you had to do was watch the game shown before, Toronto & Winnipeg, that was coaching at its worst. Maurice needs to be fired asap. That was embarrassing. No answer for anything. When I look at Winnipeg on paper I see a better team than Calgary that's poorly coached. When Flames cry about their goaltending it's because they don't have the personnel to play a team 200 foot game. When Winnipeg cry about their goaltending it's because their coach either can't or won't teach them proper systems and play. In neither case is it actually solely about the goaltending. Elliot for example played beautifully behind St. Louis/Hitchcock, that's not a coincidence. Flames pinch and pinch and pinch and cheat for their offense, Glen has reduced that significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad