Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
One thing I love about McDavid compared to our last speedy rush player (Hall). Is that...he stays on his skates. You don't see him falling over the ice because he can't handle his own speed. He can do what he does and stay stable the whole time.

Reactions: Coffey

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I told a lot of you guys who are continually pessimistic to not discount the McDavid effect. I think a lot of Oiler fans are just now comprehending how big it is to have a player like that since we haven't had a player like this since maybe a lot of them were able to watch hockey.

It completely changes an organization.

Chia's task is still likely to get some second line scoring help, but with all our picks and a lot of cap space, we are in a good position.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
The sad part is, when we were dominating them down low with that sustained puck cycling it reminded me of the times when the Sedin's would do that to us in their prime. How sad is that?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not sure I totally agree. I think the main reason it was close was Smith. I do think you are right that they didnt give up a ton of grade A chances. But even Klefbom could of had a couple goals. But the Flames hardly created anything offensively. Gulutzan definitely isnt Eakins, but I do think hes average at best (and I would say below average). But I guess not every team can have a great coach. I do agree on Maurice though.

Yeah, Smith was a big part of it why it was close as well.

Glen is a lot better than Hartley at least. Bias against Calgary of course but I just really don't like their team on paper. I was so shocked they made the playoffs last year and think last years success for them was primarily a product of coaching.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
One thing I love about McDavid compared to our last speedy rush player (Hall). Is that...he stays on his skates. You don't see him falling over the ice because he can't handle his own speed. He can do what he does and stay stable the whole time.
Totally.
I was always jealous of others teams with speedsters that wouldn't fall down every time they got to the opposing goal line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You play bigger and with more confidence when you know Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Nurse, Khaira and Gryba have your back

Towards the end of the game one Flame decided to give Nuge a small crosscheck or push to the back after the whistle, Lucic got right behind them to basically tell them "if you want to get to him, you need to go through me". Glass may have taken the decision on Kassian but shortly afterward Khaira wanted to go with that ass hat that was on waivers hat was being a real pest last night. We have layers of toughness that few teams can match.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Also haven't seen it mentioned yet - Larsson looked super improved offensively this game. Much stronger shot, really clean passes. He was integral for that first goal, for instance.
Klef in an interview last year said that Adam Larsson actually has a larger offensive game than people have seen because he's being counted on to be a shut down defenceman he's only showing that side. If he wanted to be more offensive he has the skills to do so.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Klef in an interview last year said that Adam Larsson actually has a larger offensive game than people have seen because he's being counted on to be a shut down defenceman he's only showing that side. If he wanted to be more offensive he has the skills to do so.

Larsson was an absolute stud last night. I know that Hamonic is on a new team and will take time to settle in, but I'm so glad that we got Lars instead of Hamonic.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Lmao the top line of Maroon, McDavid, LD, Larsson, Klefbom absolutely destroyed Calgary

gameShots-2017-10-04-2017020003-CGYatEDM.png

Reactions: Aerrol

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
CGY was TOTALLY dominated last night. Even Smith was just adequate no matter what tv crew said. We took lots of shots but a big majority we were pretty easy and when we did get close in we muffed a bunch when Smith was at the shooter's mercy (McDavid's opening rush and Kass to mention a couple). The big thing is we absolutely crushed them in terms of possession and you can see the impact of the playoff experience as compared to last year opening night. No comparison in terms of maturity, structure and process. McDavid crushes it so badly that all the other lines have to do nine out of ten nights is to play mistake free and even up. Of course that won't cut it in the playoffs. Good teams can shut down any single line and this is where L2 and L3 have to make significant contributions.

Honestly all this team needs is a #2 RHD and we are going to be hard to stop, but I didn't see anything in Hamonic that makes me wish we had outbid Calgary.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lmao the top line of Maroon, McDavid, LD, Larsson, Klefbom absolutely destroyed Calgary

gameShots-2017-10-04-2017020003-CGYatEDM.png

It does absolutely show how dominant the top line and pairing was. They completely owned the game. Doesn't exactly help alleviate the concerns that we're going to have some issues with secondary scoring if McDavid and Draisaitl are together.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I would take our top pair dmen over Calgary's... yes yes I would. So glad I picked Klefbom on my fantasy team this year. What a bomb he has and he's not afraid to use it all the time now.
I was creeping the other board and many Flame fans are pretty excited today over a short clip of Jagr teaching Bennett something in practice. Sure he'll be a good influence.. but he isn't some miracle teacher that will turn on some light switch in Bennett's head and make him a star lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Flames radio guys giving the Oilers a lot of credit, saying we're not the same bumbling structure-less team of years past, our D is real good and structured, can't stop McDavid, Flames fans worst fears confirmed, etc. etc.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I've been watching NHL hockey since the late 50s. That second goal McDavid scored ... I've never seen anything like that in my life. Overwhelming acceleration and speed. I've watched it several times. Just awesome. What a treat!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Honestly all this team needs is a #2 RHD and we are going to be hard to stop, but I didn't see anything in Hamonic that makes me wish we had outbid Calgary

I think I was one of the few that thought Benning was fantastic last game. Had a couple minor issues but his overall play looked like a solid #2 RD. If he improves even marginally he will at least fall into the acceptable middle pairing category. Which is all we can probably afford moving forward anyways.

Edit: With how much he has shown/grown I also wouldn't restrict his top end to just a mediocre middle pairing guy either. Defenseman can come out of no where and end up top pairing types. With how much he has grown in so short a time who knows what his upper limit will be.

Last edited:

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
lol Can't stop reading about "1 player team" by Flames fans
McD truly is a god if he played 60 mins and prevented any goals by Shames too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad