Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Then Brouwer with this gem: "Jags needs to produce. That's what we brought him in for". :laugh: Pot, please allow me to introduce you to kettle.

But Jagr clamouring over McDavid like a star-struck teenager is just hilarious to watch.

Reactions: McDrai

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Fitter, if you own the rights to prepping the GDT for the December 2nd game at the Saddledome and if you're open to suggestions...how about doing a GDT based on "The Fly" movie-haha

Reactions: Aerrol

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Note: The Players grades take into account the player's role on the team!

A+- McDavid, Klefbom

A - Kassian, Larsson, Talbot, Draisaitl, Nurse

B+ - Nugent-hopkins, Maroon,

B - Russel, Strome, Kharia, Yamamoto, Jokien, Lucic, Gryba, rest of the bottom 6

C+ - Benning,

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
So it's "The Fly", 0:08 seconds in top right of Jagrs head lol

Return of the Fly!

maxresdefault.jpg

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I know some around here were really disappointed that the Flames grabbed Hamonic, but in all honesty I'm quite happy Edmonton didn't. I feel like he became vastly overrated prior to last season when people were calling him a #2 Dman. I don't think he's as bad as last season where he legitimately looked like a bottom pairing D on a lot of nights, but I also don't think he was ever anywhere near a top pairing quality D.

If last night was any indication, then Hamonic is going to struggle in the Western Conference. He looked fairly slow, and could not for the life of him out muscle Draisaitl or Maroon who constantly victimized him on the cycle brushing him off like he wasn't even there. The added physicality and size of the West probably doesn't fare too well either for a guy who is pretty damn injury prone. I think the Oilers dodged a bullet getting Larsson over him (if the rumours were true) and dodged another bullet by not giving up a bunch of draft picks for him. We're going to need those to continue giving McDavid cheap ELC players with skill and/or rentals to push in the playoffs.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Did you even watch this game? He had arguably his best game as a Oiler. That Gryba-Nurse pairing if anything was an adventure at times.

Benning did not even come close to having his best game, if anything he was very average and looked jittery out there. Nurse/Gryba had one D zone turnover that I can remember but it was actually McDavid who flubbed a pass from Nurse on an easy play.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He looks like he hates his life.
He sure doesn’t look happy to be there. Makes me think the Flames were the only team to actually offer him a contract. No reason not to think he really wanted to be somewhere in the east.

I found his comment last night about not being close to ready to play really surprising. We’ve heard for years how much of a rink rat and fitness freak he is. Last night he says he’s not ready because he wasn’t sure if he’d be playing this year, made it sound like he wasn’t preparing for a season like he usually does. Doesn’t seem consistent with what we’ve always heard about him. I really wonder how bad he wants it and how committed he is now.

I’m so happy we didn’t sign him. With all the travel involved with playing in Calgary, I wouldn’t be surprised if he packs it in by December.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
It's kind of bothering me that none of the press I've read about last nights game says anything about how rare scoring a natural hat trick is. Makes Connor even more impressive, if that's possible.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I think Edmonton's D is criminally under-rated.

Klef-Larsson looks like theyre going to be one of the best top pairings in the league.
The advanced stats crowd continue to show they don't know hockey when you watch Russel.
Nurse and Benning are both great young players with tons of upside.
We still have Sekera coming back later.
They're great at defending. Not as good at puck moving, especially without Sekera. To me, that should be a priority, but they get the job done.
Best pair in the league might be a stretch but they're very good.
The stats guys are right on Russell and so are his defenders. He does some things well but has serious flaws. Like most players.

Reactions: Aerrol and Ol' Jase

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Anybody know exactly how many breakaways McDavid had this game? I'm thinking of starting a McDavid breakaway counter just out of pure interest. Haven't found any site on internet that keeps track of breakaways.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What a great game. :thumbu:
Might be the best defensive game I have ever seen this McDavid led team play...an absolute pleasure to watch.
If not for Smith this game would have been a blowout.

McDavid...what can you say. The man skates faster than any player I have ever seen. If teams dont find a way to impede Connors first few steps he is going to make this League his own personal buffet. :nod:

Klefbom probably played his best game as an Oiler.

The only Oiler that struggled in this game was Yamomoto which IMO was to be expected. Its probably nit picking but why in the world did Kassian take that fight. Not a good time in the game and also not a good exchange for the Oilers.
Zach has to be smarter than that moving forward.

In any event...great start to the season for this team. :D

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They're great at defending. Not as good at puck moving, especially without Sekera. To me, that should be a priority, but they get the job done.
Best pair in the league might be a stretch but they're very good.
The stats guys are right on Russell and so are his defenders. He does some things well but has serious flaws. Like most players.

Have to agree with this. This defence had a great game. Now lets see how they look after game 25. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad