Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Flames radio guys giving the Oilers a lot of credit, saying we're not the same bumbling structure-less team of years past, our D is real good and structured, can't stop McDavid, Flames fans worst fears confirmed, etc. etc.

Its only one game in a long grueling tough season, and hopefully post season. Too early for planning the parade, but I can totally see why they would be saying that. They have a solid playoff bubble + team, no shame in that, but after that one game it certainly feels like the 80's come again with Edmonton clearly the better of the two no matter what the Flames manage. I almost... almost feel bad. To always be the underdog must get tiring/frustrating.

At least Calgary has one cup. Many do not. Being a playoff bubble + team is something the Oilers would have killed for 2-3 years ago.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It's because you haven't. No player has ever skated 40.9 km/h with the puck ever in the NHL.
Probably true... but you can't say that for certain... since the technology probably didn't exist back in the day to measure players speed during games like Orr, Gartner, Bure, Coffee etc.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I thank God everyday for giving us McDavid. He's the Lebron of the NHL and wears our jersey. Still can't believe it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I thank God everyday for giving us McDavid. He's the Lebron of the NHL and wears our jersey. Still can't believe it.

I remember growing up and being so jealous of Pittsburgh and Washington for getting Crosby and Ovy, Thought absolutely no way we get anyone like that much if we did itd be so awesome. Pretty surreal to actually get a similar or even better player. Next 10 years will be wild and so fun to watch

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
As great a performance and effort that was against the Flames, what the Oilers need to develop now is consistency. They have to bring their game night in and night out to be truly contenders. We have a lot of leaders now and are more than capable of doing so.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Probably true... but you can't say that for certain... since the technology probably didn't exist back in the day to measure players speed during games like Orr, Gartner, Bure, Coffee etc.

I've seen all of those players, it's not close. But yes i can say that given that the short track speed record is 45.07 kmH and long track 52.97.

it's even faster than dylan larken/gartner and mcdavid speed in the fastest skater comp without full gear and the puck. (37-38 kmh)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah, Smith was a big part of it why it was close as well.

Glen is a lot better than Hartley at least. Bias against Calgary of course but I just really don't like their team on paper. I was so shocked they made the playoffs last year and think last years success for them was primarily a product of coaching.

I actually dont mind their team on paper. Their defense obviously looks great on paper. Smith is a question mark in net (last night he looked good).

Their forwards I dunno. At first glance I think they look decent. Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund, Tkachuk etc are good players. Someone like Bennett has potential but mainly he looks good at first glance because hes a high draft pick. Their right wing is really weak though. Last night probably wasnt a great example because its one game, but there forwards look underwhelming when you watch them.

Their team was 14th in goals against last year. With their defense on paper, it should be in the top 5. You can blame it on their goaltending of last year but theres plenty of teams where good defense mask the goaltending deficiencies. People quickly blame their goaltending but I think a lot of it has to do with coaching, players committing to the system, leadership etc.

Last year the flames really struggled against good teams and they beat up on the weaker teams. All the stats point to their team being average.

I like the moves that Treliving makes. But something just feels a bit off with the flames. Maybe its coaching, maybe its team speed, maybe its something else, but the flames have shown to be average. If their defense was/is as strong as people claim, they should be able to lock the game down.

Say what you want about Chiarelli, he makes some good moves and he makes some bad moves. But at the end of the day him and TM seem to have a pretty good pulse on the team and what they need or lack.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
As great a performance and effort that was against the Flames, what the Oilers need to develop now is consistency. They have to bring their game night in and night out to be truly contenders. We have a lot of leaders now and are more than capable of doing so.

I agree... I'm hoping the coaching staff breaks up the season into 7 game stretches and focuses the team on winning each series... so basically you are instilling a playoff type mentality in the team all season long.

They aren't going to have a winning record in every 7 game "series" all season long, but it will help build consistency and help re-focus the team after losses... and help them not get too high after wins or too low after losses.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I actually dont mind their team on paper. Their defense obviously looks great on paper. Smith is a question mark in net (last night he looked good).

Their forwards I dunno. At first glance I think they look decent. Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund, Tkachuk etc are good players. Someone like Bennett has potential but mainly he looks good at first glance because hes a high draft pick. Their right wing is really weak though. Last night probably wasnt a great example because its one game, but there forwards look underwhelming when you watch them.

Their team was 14th in goals against last year. With their defense on paper, it should be in the top 5. You can blame it on their goaltending of last year but theres plenty of teams where good defense mask the goaltending deficiencies. People quickly blame their goaltending but I think a lot of it has to do with coaching, players committing to the system, leadership etc.

Last year the flames really struggled against good teams and they beat up on the weaker teams. All the stats point to their team being average.

I like the moves that Treliving makes. But something just feels a bit off with the flames. Maybe its coaching, maybe its team speed, maybe its something else, but the flames have shown to be average. If their defense was/is as strong as people claim, they should be able to lock the game down.

Team speed is a big thing, while their defense is mobile, their forwards aren't burners for the most part. I think Bennett might be the fastest but he's not really a threat offensively.

If they activate the defense, the forwards have trouble covering because they aren't all that fast.

While the Oilers aren't the fastest group either they do have some speed throughout the lineup.

Also, it's mostly my perception, but Calgary feels like a collection of individuals who happen to wear the same uniform rather than a team.

Reactions: FlameChampion

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Does anyone know what Bure's top end speed with the puck was back in the day?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Team speed is a big thing, while their defense is mobile, their forwards aren't burners for the most part. I think Bennett might be the fastest but he's not really a threat offensively.

If they activate the defense, the forwards have trouble covering because they aren't all that fast.

While the Oilers aren't the fastest group either they do have some speed throughout the lineup.

Also, it's mostly my perception, but Calgary feels like a collection of individuals who happen to wear the same uniform rather than a team.

Totally agree on the last line.

I had edited my post with : Say what you want about Chiarelli, he makes some good moves and he makes some bad moves. But at the end of the day him and TM seem to have a pretty good pulse on the team and what they need or lack.

I think one of Chiarelli's strengths is that he knows how to build a team. I know a lot of HF posters think that Chayka is the best GM ever, and I agree he makes a ton of great moves and trades on paper but to me hes another one that struggles to actually build a team that plays like a team. To his credit, hes dealing with poor ownership.

Also having someone like McDavid just raises the bar on everyone else. You see a player like him on the ice, and everyone picks their game up a notch. Not only is he a great player but his affect on the team is invaluable.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Calgary D is definitely overrated.

Giordano is a very good dman, I'll give them that (although he's likely past his prime and on the downside now). Brodie and Hamilton are decent top 4 dmen... nothing exceptional though.

Hamonic and Stone are both very overrated and DO NOT move the needle forward on that team at all.

A lot of people (even some Oilers fans on the boards here) were all over themselves basically anointing their D as one of the very best in the NHL and I said all along it was average at best.

Oilers D is better... Larsson, Klefbom, Benning, Russell collectively are absolutely better than what the Flames have plus Nurse is improving and Gryba is tougher and more physical than anything they have. I also think both Auvitu and Stanton give the Oilers better D depth than the Flames have.

Calgary D is all hype and little content whereas the Oilers D is underrated.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Giordano is a very good dman, I'll give them that (although he's likely past his prime and on the downside now). Brodie and Hamilton are decent top 4 dmen... nothing exceptional though.

Hamonic and Stone are both very overrated and DO NOT move the needle forward on that team at all.

A lot of people (even some Oilers fans on the boards here) were all over themselves basically anointing their D as one of the very best in the NHL and I said all along it was average at best.

Oilers D is better... Larsson, Klefbom, Benning, Russell collectively are absolutely better than what the Flames have plus Nurse is improving and Gryba is tougher and more physical than anything they have. I also think both Auvitu and Stanton give the Oilers better D depth than the Flames have.

I think Edmonton's D is criminally under-rated.

Klef-Larsson looks like theyre going to be one of the best top pairings in the league.
The advanced stats crowd continue to show they don't know hockey when you watch Russel.
Nurse and Benning are both great young players with tons of upside.
We still have Sekera coming back later.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Say what you want about Chiarelli, he makes some good moves and he makes some bad moves. But at the end of the day him and TM seem to have a pretty good pulse on the team and what they need or lack.

They just don't have enough of anything to be considered a legit playoff threat. Size, Speed, Skill, Team Defense, Goaltending... You can't just pick what you want, you have to work with what you have but at the same time you can build a team to play a certain way. I don't think Johnny and Monahan even fit in a truly responsible system. Their D is unbalanced as well. They are still a playoff team on paper for the most part. So breaking it up could be bad, but I would be tempted if I were the Flames GM to trade some big names to address team balance.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Hey, I was in the group that said they were overrated and they overpaid BIG TIME for Hamonic. Now people are seeing it. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad