Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Flames 0 - McDavid Hatty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I dont know about you, but I'd be down to add James Neal at the deadline if we are a true contender. Really missing a sniper on RW (yes I know Drai is playing RW but I would still like him as C)

The only problem with taking Drai off McDavid's wing, is two of tonight's three's goals don't happen. Leon's setups make the 1st and 3rd goals possible, Neal doesn't/can't bring that element.

If Lucic-RNH-Kassian can bring a the same energy we saw tonight to the second line, that's two lines that can just tilt the ice via pure puck possession.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Kassian
Jokinen-Strome-Slepyshev/Yamamoto
Khaira-Letestu-Caggiula

Me likely

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Just like I predicted arguing with Flame fans in the summer... McDavid had his way against the Flames last year and the additions of Travis Hamonic and Mike Smith isn't gonna change ANYTHING. The Flames defence can transition the puck well and provide good offence but their actual defending is not really that good... an overrated bunch. The Flames just had no answer for the Oiler's first line. Also the size advantage the Oilers have over the Flames is very apparent. We're pretty much better than them in all areas now.... speed, size, and skill.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
0aic3

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
McDavid in the post game: "Everyone was making a big deal about their defence, but how about our defence tonight".

Spot on. :nod:

Damn right. That was one of the best performances by our D that I've seen in the last some 10-odd seasons. They gave the Flames NOTHING. Total domination. Flames came out behind only ONE goal in the 3rd, and they get 'flamed' with 16 shots against, and only 5 shots for, and only one of those shots was remotely dangerous, and was a little tip. Other than that, nothing. If they keep up this defensive play even at 80% of this level, we're going to be laughing our way into the post-season, and hopefully beyond. Klefbom looks better than ever and it's not like he didn't look good last season (and looked clear and away the best Dman on the ice tonight, with Larsson being 2nd, and Nurse 3rd). If Sekera comes back and is the same form as last season, geez. Maybe those odds makers in Vegas knew what they were doing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It was a great defensive performance from the whole team. But honestly the reason Gaudreau and Monahan got nothing going was because they never had the puck. McLellan went power vs power and Gaudreau/Monahan couldn't keep up with McDavid/Drai.

It's got to sting being a Flames fan and knowing your "star" forward isn't at all close to what we've got here. lmao

I said this in the pre-game. The Oilers top line is miles better than the Flames top line and its really not even a conversation because the gap is enormous. McDavid is infinitely better than Gaudreau in every single aspect of the game. Draisaitl is considerably better than Monahan both offensively and defensively. And Maroon, while not as good of a skater as Ferland, is a much much more effective player in the offensive zone, especially with his chemistry with Connor.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Damn right. That was one of the best performances by our D that I've seen in the last some 10-odd seasons. They gave the Flames NOTHING. Total domination. Flames came out behind only ONE goal in the 3rd, and they get 'flamed' with 16 shots against, and only 5 shots for, and only one of those shots was remotely dangerous, and was a little tip. Other than that, nothing. If they keep up this defensive play even at 80% of this level, we're going to be laughing our way into the post-season, and hopefully beyond. Klefbom looks better than ever and it's not like he didn't look good last season (and looked clear and away the best Dman on the ice tonight, with Larsson being 2nd, and Nurse 3rd). If Sekera comes back and is the same form as last season, geez. Maybe those odds makers in Vegas knew what they were doing.

Yeah in terms of solid defensive play that's the best I've seen an Oilers team play in a long time.

You can just feel that Klefbom and Larsson are only now entering their prime years and Nurse and Benning are much more calm and collected.

A lot of the jitteryness that our D still had even last year looked ironed out. Last year we were trying to be a good team, this year we play like we know we are.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
With regards to Yamamoto, I will say for such a small kid, he is damn strong on his edges. There were a couple of times during board battles where I was sure he going to end up on his butt, but he took the contact and stayed on his feet. I think asking him to play in the NHL right now is a big ask, but he will be a gamer for us in a year's time.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seems McDavid doesn't have to skate in slush at home anymore too? Good news for us. Not sure he could have made half the great plays he did tonight on the crap ice we had last year.

Did they improve the ice this season? If so that bodes well for us!

Smith was good, he stopped a lot of quality chances from you guys
The defense wasn’t top notch, but they still got the job done for the most part (excluding McDavid wheeling around us a few times).

What our main problem was tonight was never getting any scoring chances in your end. It was a pretty easy game for Talbot, and I was impressed by the Oilers’ D even without Sekera.

It was definitely a frustrating game to watch, but I can at least say all of the Smith “sucks” talk should go away. He was solid tonight. But unfortunately, he had a Coyote-like team in front of him today offensively.

EDIT: and McDavid is McDavid.

No offense from you guys and while Smith was solid (he usually is against us) it's a long season so 1 good game doesn't mean that goaltending is solved for you guys just yet.

Smith has a knack of being a god against the Oilers. I think before you get too confident in him you'll need to see him against other teams.

Yup, that said he is likely an upgrade for them IMO.

Yeah in terms of solid defensive play that's the best I've seen an Oilers team play in a long time.

You can just feel that Klefbom and Larsson are only now entering their prime years and Nurse and Benning are much more calm and collected.

A lot of the jitteryness that our D still had even last year looked ironed out. Last year we were trying to be a good team, this year we play like we know we are.

Nurse and Benning really upped their games from the preseason tonight. I don't think that any of our players had a bad game tonight. Nuge had a very solid game IMO, he looked much better than he has the last couple of regular seasons.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I really liked the team play as a whole. McDavid and the top line were sensational. Klefbom looked as elite as they come, and that one-timer off Smith's mask was an absolute cannon. Set him up for more of those and he'll score 15-20 goals this year. Larsson steady as always to complete what looked like a legitimate great top pairing. Love how well Larsson angles and controls his gap on the puck carrier. I thought Nuge was showing off some deft passing and was putting some more creativity in his game tonight. Even though he didn't score he looked fantastic to me and I hope he continues to display that on the offensive side of things. Looch and Kass looked good on that line, and I loved that Looch was getting physical and making some nice passes that Kass couldn't quite bury. I'm learning to live with Lucic's fumbles of the puck because of the other things he brings. Third line was a nice safe line. Not a lot of flash, but a good simple game with good positioning and display of hockey IQ. I think the offence will come there to provide a bit more secondary scoring, while continuing to be a line that doesn't give up a lot. Back to the D, I thought Nurse had a great game, Benning looked good as well, and Gryba had a steady night where Nurse took over a lot of the puck moving responsibility. Russell had a poorer night, but he's capable of much more and his down night was covered just fine by the fantastic play of the other D.

Man was that ever a great game by the team. Even with all the chances we missed (and credit where its due, Smith made some huge saves) I never felt any panic. The team had a settling and calm vibe to them all night. Great way to start the season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I do kinda miss Pitlick though I thought Khaira was pretty decent. I wouldn't have minded signing Pitlick for 1 mill per for a few years as a cheap bottom sixer. Yeah he gets hurt a lot, but so what, it's a small salary and then you can just slide in some other 13th forward for him.

I liked that Lucic RNH Kassian line ... physical and big. We should try that again on Saturday.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

I think they all gained a lot of confidence last season, almost getting into the 3rd round of the playoffs. It's like they KNOW they're good, and they're no longer doubting their ability. It's great to see. They know how good they are and can be now, and it really shows, as you alluded to. Less panic plays, and more thought is going into more of their breakout plays. There's still the occasional wrapping the puck around the boards, which Benning did once or twice, but it's still fewer times than we'd typically see last season, and he's also the most inexperienced of the group so it's to be expected; but you can see the raw ability, his hockey IQ and untapped potential, and he's gonna be a keeper. I'm also glad to see Nurse proving me wrong so far, and show that he's a top-4 D talent (I thought he'd top out as a #5). I really hope he continues, because he has so many tools and raw ability that his potential is incredibly high if he can even come close to putting it all together. It took Klefbom a few seasons (injuries were a big part of that, though, so a bit different), and it does to longer for Dmen to come into their own, so we could be witnessing Nurse's emergence. Even Gryba didn't make any egregious errors. You know your D is playing good when that doesn't happen. :D

But there was really no comparison between our D and the much vaunted Calgary D: Ours was MUCH better. Glad to see our captain point it out and give them props through the media, because they certainly deserve it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they all gained a lot of confidence last season, almost getting into the 3rd round of the playoffs. It's like they KNOW they're good, and they're no longer doubting their ability. It's great to see. They know how good they are and can be now, and it really shows, as you alluded to. Less panic plays, and more thought is going into more of their breakout plays. There's still the occasional wrapping the puck around the boards, which Benning did once or twice, but it's still fewer times than we'd typically see last season, and he's also the most inexperienced of the group so it's to be expected; but you can see the raw ability, his hockey IQ and untapped potential, and he's gonna be a keeper. I'm also glad to see Nurse proving me wrong so far, and show that he's a top-4 D talent (I thought he'd top out as a #5). I really hope he continues, because he has so many tools and raw ability that his potential is incredibly high if he can even come close to putting it all together. It took Klefbom a few seasons (injuries were a big part of that, though, so a bit different), and it does to longer for Dmen to come into their own, so we could be witnessing Nurse's emergence. Even Gryba didn't make any egregious errors. You know your D is playing good when that doesn't happen. :D

I think we forget too how young our D corps was last year. Even Klefbom and Larsson are very young. They are just now entering the time frame when most D ht their prime years.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I know KY only got 6ish minutes of ice time, but how did he look overall?

He looked nervous and didn't do a whole lot, but was surprisingly stronger on his skates than I expected at all. Held his own during board battles. He'll get a couple more looks I'm sure, but I think junior is the best place for him this year, which is fine for us because we need his ELC years later on.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I know KY only got 6ish minutes of ice time, but how did he look overall?

He was fine, but he looked like a rookie who probably isn't really ready to play in the show. Didn't make any big mistakes or anything, but really didn't get anything accomplished. The second line had a lot more jump when he was replaced by Kassian.

The pace is a bit too fast for him and the players a bit too strong. Still got a number of games to prove he belongs, but if tonight is an indication he'll be going down to junior sooner rather than later. Nothing wrong with that though. He'll get a taste and be better for it. I'm sure he had some nerves in his game too. Who knows, maybe next game out of town he'll have some jitters out of his game and will be a bit more able to get involved in the offensive part of the game.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
As an Avs fan, I just wanted to drop by here and tell you guys how incredible McDavid is. I just don't have any words anymore :laugh:.

He honestly looks faster than last year and I truly think he's just going to start playing with the rest of the league. He could've had more than 3 points tonight. And when he starts facing teams that don't have great defense I think he could be in the 4-5 point night zone.

Anyhoo, I'm predicting that he goes well beyond the 100 point threshold if he stays healthy for the whole season.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
To be fair Benning and Russell gave up the most Corsi against.

http://firstlinestats.com/games/2017020003/

I noticed a few headless chicken moments we outright dominated in scoring chances. Mike Smith stood on his head. Flames had no business keeping this game so low scoring.

To be fair though, Russell's game is simply to get the puck out of the D-zone. He's not one to skate the puck up the ice and take shots. I think that's one reason he's not a Corsi-darling. He's all about playing the safe, defensive game, and simply getting the puck out, and also cutting down shooting lanes to limit good quality shots against. He's a better D than his advance stats show, IMO. At least that's what my eyes tell me. He may allow more shots against on the ice than our other D, but most of those shots are usually low quality, as he gives away the shots that are easy saves, and tries to cut off or block the dangerous ones -- at least that's what I've noticed. He's a pretty smart Dman, and he's fearless in blocking shots; he apparently had 7 blocks this game. That's pretty impressive. He's a good little D to have back there, I think. When he's on the ice, I just know that it's not too likely that the opposition are going to get grade-A opportunities, unless they get a fortuitous bounce, which happens time to time, but are not his fault. He's not perfect, but I'm glad we have him, and I think his contract is just fine for what he is and what he brings. He's a pretty good 'play it safe' Dman, who doesn't help his team generate a ton of shots, but he's still a low event player, and he does make the occasional beautiful break-away pass down the middle to someone like McDavid or Drai; I think his passing is under-rated.

I think we forget too how young our D corps was last year. Even Klefbom and Larsson are very young. They are just now entering the time frame when most D ht their prime years.

Yeah that's true. I said something similar earlier in comparison to the Flames' D, which are mostly at their peak or slowly going down and regressing, while the core of our D are just starting to come into their own and hit their peak ages as Dmen: Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse and Benning are all quite young, and just now starting to enter those peak years for a Dman, as you mention. Benning will probably need another season or two just from lack of experience, but he's been acquitting himself quite nicely considering just how little experience he does have, and is certainly a keeper, IMO. With a returning Sekera from hopefully last years' form, this D and forward corps I am starting to believe more and more could do something special. And of course Cam is Cam; no worries back there.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Caggiula had 8 hits tonight. I can't say I recall all of those... but that's pretty impressive that he's throwing his body around like that. Even more when he was shook up out there and only played 13 minute overall.

Klefbom with 9 shots... with several that were lethal "Shea Weber" type blasts. If he keeps that up he'll definitely do damage on the scoreboard (and to opponents :) ).

McDavid with 7 shots... I like that just as much as his 3 goals because hopefully it means he is going to be a little more selfish and use his shot more often instead of looking off shots and trying to set up teammates (which is noble... but using his shot and getting the puck on net is often the better option). Last season he was 30-70-100. I think he could quite easily become a 45-65-110 type player and the team would benefit from that as well.

Draisaitl... 5 shots, 2 assists, 56% on the dot, +3 while playing the most minutes of any forward. Just all around solid play and his chemistry with McDavid is lethal for the opposition.

Russell... 7 blocks... doing what he does best... playing well defensively and playing his usual underrated style that helps his team win.
Meanwhile the massively overrated Hamonic whom everyone says is such a great all around dman, looked like a pylon, was a net negative out there and helped his team lose... continuing his level of performance from when he played with the Isles.

Khaira... 3 hits and he went 5 for 5 on the dot. Not bad at all for a 4th liner and if he continues to trend upward I could even see him spending more time on the 3rd line as a bigger body presence if needed.

Talbot... perfect in net. Played very well positionally and didn't look rusty or off at all. There weren't many dangerous Flames chances but the few decent shots he faced were saved easily and with little effort. That's a credit to the team in front of him, but also to Talbot who was very solid and reliable back there. He gave Calgary absolutely no real hope of getting back in the game as he locked down every decent shot and never gave up many (if any) rebounds.

Yamamoto played just over 6 minutes and while not really noticeable, he got his 1st taste of "real" NHL hockey and in future outings I expect him to get more ice time and less sheltering so he can have more of an opportunity to show if he belongs at this level this season or not. I actually think McLellan was correct in giving him limited minutes in his 1st outing to give him the chance to acclimatize and slowly adapt to this level of action.

Overall a very solid team effort from the every player. There wasn't really a weak effort by any player and it really was a team win even though all the scoring came from the top line and all the goals from McDavid.

If every game were to follow thsi opening night script, it's very safe to say this team is becoming a very strong contender... now it just remains to be seen at what level of consistency they can play at for the rest of the season. If it remains even close to this level, it's going to be a very entertaining season ahead for us all here.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
As an Avs fan, I just wanted to drop by here and tell you guys how incredible McDavid is. I just don't have any words anymore :laugh:.

He honestly looks faster than last year and I truly think he's just going to start playing with the rest of the league. He could've had more than 3 points tonight. And when he starts facing teams that don't have great defense I think he could be in the 4-5 point night zone.

Anyhoo, I'm predicting that he goes well beyond the 100 point threshold if he stays healthy for the whole season.

Thanks for the comment, and good luck to the Avs. Hopefully the Duchene thing gets resolved soon, and you guys pick up a few good pieces to help build around, and maybe we'll have a good, healthy rivalry in a couple seasons or so. :)

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I do kinda miss Pitlick though I thought Khaira was pretty decent. I wouldn't have minded signing Pitlick for 1 mill per for a few years as a cheap bottom sixer. Yeah he gets hurt a lot, but so what, it's a small salary and then you can just slide in some other 13th forward for him.

I liked that Lucic RNH Kassian line ... physical and big. We should try that again on Saturday.
Pitlick provided the main spark for the secondary scoring last year. I think they tried to sign him but he wanted term and the Oiler were not willing to give him that based on his injury history. I bet he stay injury free from now on though,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad