Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Brady Skjei was ready to turn pro after his junior year. The Rangers thought he was ready. The Yandle deal made no sense. The Rangers made the deal. They traded assets for Yandle. Now they are trading more assets for Shattenkirk and giving him the Yandle contract at minimum. They look even more stupid.

The Staal deal is what made no sense. I believe that they could have kept Yandle if they hadn't handed Staal a loyalty contract. They could have let Staal go, kept Hunwick as a stopgap until Skjei was ready, and then given Yandle a 6 year deal for less than what Florida signed him at. Reportedly Yandle wanted to stay a Ranger, but, the Rangers knew they didn't have the space. And, yes, I questioned the Staal deal at the time. I wanted all three of Callahan, Girardi and Staal moved before they entered free agency.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
How is that a rebuild? The Rangers have coveted Honka and he is the answer to all of their issues on D. What did you say? I would bring up trading Brassard and people would scream the Rangers are not trading him. Let's wait a few months into the season and Honka is playing in the NHL. Gorton has said he wants to make the younger. Acquire as many young players as possible. Get more skill and speed. The Rangers are winning this season? Really?

Can Honka contribute?

You are downgrading from Zuccarello to Nichushkin and Klein to Honka.

We didn't really downgrade when we traded Brassard for Zibanejad. We got a player back that we know can contribute right away.

Trading Zucc for Nuke + Honka. Maybe. What are you going to do if you trade Klein and Honka/Skjei/McIlrath all struggle? Throw Girardi back on the top pairing? Force one of them to play over their heads and ruin their development?

Trading Klein when your only other option on RD is Girardi and you have 3 rookies on your right side is about as asinine as it gets. It might as well be a rebuild because the won't go very far. Keep Klein at least until the deadline and see who is ready to play where.

And no, they likely aren't winning the cup. Neither are 29 other teams. With that being said this team isn't nearly as bad as you make it sound.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
there were always rumors that buch could well play center in the pros.

would not be the first time its happened. skill wise, i could see it.

hes a very deft passer and extremely creative( cerebral) , sounds like a centerman to me. defensively, he competes but as far as driving a line, i see him being able to pull it off with ease.

at the same time, mika can play wing as well. he's listed as a c/w frequently.

lots of changes may happen with this roster.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Can Honka contribute?

We didn't really downgrade when we traded Brassard for Zibanejad. We got a player back that we know can contribute right away.

Trading Zucc for Nuke + Honka. Maybe. What are you going to do if you trade Klein and Honka/Skjei/McIlrath all struggle? Throw Girardi back on the top pairing? Force one of them to play over their heads and ruin their development?

Trading Klein when your only other option on RD is Girardi and you have 3 rookies on your right side is about as asinine as it gets. It might as well be a rebuild because the won't go very far. Keep Klein at least until the deadline and see who is ready to play where.

And no, they likely aren't winning the cup. Neither are 29 other teams. With that being said this team isn't nearly as bad as you make it sound.

You can make that kind of move, but you'd then have to move Nash for a RHD, such as Shattenkirk. This team cannot go into next year with Girardi getting even 2nd pairing minutes, let alone being McDonagh,s anchor.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

It's going to be great to see how Buch, Vesey, Day, Kovacs, and Stromwall do.

We could be looking at a top 2 team in the tournament this year, our offense is pretty damn good.

Hoping they stream some coverage of this but I doubt they will.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I wouldn't read much into them having Buch at center either. He will be playing wing for the Rangers and I doubt he is playing center in the tournament.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Can Honka contribute?

Yes, some good points here for sure. I don`t understand Rangerboy`s view sometimes concerning the trade topic. Because he continue to mention bad deals that we directly lose value and downgrades. Maybe he is frustrated, because of our wonder twins Staal & Girardi contracts, and the whole Yandle situation. I really don`t know..

Maybe I miss something some pages behind here, and not fully updated.
Anyway I`ve not been active this summer on the forum so I am not fully updated..
Well, I need to cook dinner - enjoy your day, guys - we are all Rangers fans here with different opinions and that is normal. :)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
You can make that kind of move, but you'd then have to move Nash for a RHD, such as Shattenkirk. This team cannot go into next year with Girardi getting even 2nd pairing minutes, let alone being McDonagh,s anchor.

Gorton isn't getting the value he wants for Nash at the moment. We want to get younger and need both PMD's as well as RHD's. So the solution is to trade our only defenseman capable of playing to pairing minutes at the moment for a rookie that has huge upside but hasn't actually played in the NHL and then leave 3 rookies + Dan Girardi on the right side.

If Dallas is insisting on more than just Zucc for Nuke + Honka, add a 2nd. Zucc + 2nd for Honka + Nuke. You then have plenty of time to sort out who can play where, see who is progressing and then you can flip Klein at the deadline and recoup the draft pick.

Trading Klein before the deadline is a massive mistake.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
What's the scoop on the both of them?

Raay has familiarity with Halverson, since he was his backup and created good competition for Halvy. I think Duke has some good talent, and the Wild didn't sign him to an ELC, and he wasn't drafted after re-entering. I think he could be interesting to sign to an AHL contract, and then go from there. Like Joly or Oksanen.

thought that too, but then I noticed Gettinger is listed first.

Well, he does come first alphabetically among what they have listed as LW.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I really like this post, and this idea! :)

I think Zucc and Klein for Nichushkin and Honka is definitely a viable sort of deal but doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen either. For one, it could go pear shaped on the Rangers real quick if Nichushkin just continues his lackluster play or decides to bolt for the KHL. I know some people have been real hard on him (lazy, lost, etc) and others have claimed there were injuries and coaching/line inconsistencies involved. At any rate, Zucc is a far far better player right now than Nichushkin so the Rangers lose a lot of value there with the theory that it makes the loss of Honka more palatable for the Stars, BUT the stars also get a good 2nd pairing guy, albeit one that isn't a pure puck moving type.

Basically, you're trading a borderline 1st line forward and a solid 2nd pairing defenseman for a 3rd line forward "with potential" who's kind of tottering on the edge of make it or break it, and an unproven prospect defenseman with potential but also somewhat unknown potential at the NHL level.

e: and I'm sure all the stars fans would say "no way, that's not nearly enough for those guys!"

As for the weak depth on the right side, well, it's pretty terrible as it is anyways...you could always use Clendenning or Paliotta if Honka isn't ready and you don't have to "worry' as much about ruining them

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Maybe move Hank, but we are not in a full rebuild mode so it`ll probably not happen.
And other teams have won the cup with less of a goalie for sure - Penguins last season for instance, a good example.

I don`t understand why Glass is still on the team though with his 1.4 mil $ contract - if we`ve plans to get younger. Besides, he is 32 years old. :)

This seems to never get discussed here. As a rebuild, it makes so much sense. Being Hank is such a figurehead here in NY, maybe its just big business that he is never mentioned.

As a fan, he's been among my favorite Rangers all-time. I see him as the Best Goalie this club ever had despite not winning a cup in NY. Winning a cup being the Organizations primary goal, there is so many reasons why a Lundqvist trade could put the club in the right direction. The return would literally be a "Kings ransom!"

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This seems to never get discussed here. As a rebuild, it makes so much sense. Being Hank is such a figurehead here in NY, maybe its just big business that he is never mentioned.

As a fan, he's been among my favorite Rangers all-time. I see him as the Best Goalie this club ever had despite not winning a cup in NY. Winning a cup being the Organizations primary goal, there is so many reasons why a Lundqvist trade could put the club in the right direction. The return would literally be a "Kings ransom!"

It'd be tough to move him, he's indicated in the past he really does not want to leave NY even for a chance to win a cup elsewhere.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

It never gets discussed because it's verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy unlikely to happen.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
The Staal deal is what made no sense. I believe that they could have kept Yandle if they hadn't handed Staal a loyalty contract. They could have let Staal go, kept Hunwick as a stopgap until Skjei was ready, and then given Yandle a 6 year deal for less than what Florida signed him at. Reportedly Yandle wanted to stay a Ranger, but, the Rangers knew they didn't have the space. And, yes, I questioned the Staal deal at the time. I wanted all three of Callahan, Girardi and Staal moved before they entered free agency.

The Staal extension was downright stupid the minute it was made. Completely indefensible. LHD prospects not far from turning pro (at the time AND in hindsight), Staal's clearly diminishing physical attributes, already a much better player in McDonagh in front of him which would always limit his minutes, and the fact that if you read between the lines Staal was babysat by Stralman the prior season, and wasn't continuing that unless we got another elite RHD for him. Which would still make the deal pointless.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

We aren't rebuilding. We aren't rebuilding. We aren't rebuilding.

Or it is the fact that Hank doesn't want to move and nothing to do with business. Either way, it isn't happening. We likely couldn't get the return needed to make it worth it and Hank would likely squash a trade anyway. IIRC, didn't he say he wants to finish his career in NY no matter what?

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
As much as I like Shattenkirk, I'd prefer Gorton to target a younger defenseman. Would Boston move Colin Miller? Carolina has Brett Pesce, Anehim has a plethora of young d, Dallas has Honka, Blues have Jordan Schmaltz. Let Holden, Klein, and McDonagh handle the tough assignments while we bring Skjei and hopefully a newly acquired young RHD along. McIlrath too if AV chooses to play the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad