Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd love to grab a player like Tatar + Bertuzzi or Tatar + pick for Zuccarello. I would think Zuccarello would the exact type of player they would be looking to add. They are way up there in terms of cap dollars, but Franzen won't be playing. Will Kronwall?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Mats Zuccarello to the Dallas Stars for Valeri Nichushkin and Julius Honka. Jeff Gorton wants to get younger with more speed and skill. The Rangers acquire players with more upside than Zuccarello. Same premise as the Mika Zibanejad trade. Maybe the Rangers and Stars can expand the trade to include Kevin Klein who would give the Stars an experienced right handed shooting D. The Rangers sign Nichushkin to a 2 year bridge deal. The Rangers gain a forward with more upside than any Rangers forward. They acquire the elusive right handed shooting D which has seemed to be a target of their's for a while. The Rangers were linked to Tyson Barrie and Sami Vatanen before they became NHL regulars. The Rangers finally fill that need without needing to spend a fortune on an older D. Zibanejad gives the Rangers a big young right handed shooting center which is something they didn't have on the team or in the system. Nichushkin and Honka just continue that philosophy. Acquire high end impact players in trades by giving up some really good players signing to good contracts. Add those young players to the Rangers young players. In the meantime,keep your picks and add more young players. Add a pick in every trade. Jeff Gorton Rebuild 1.01.

As much as I am on the Keep Zucc side of the fence, the aforementioned scenario makes a lot of sense for the NY Rangers if the mindset is truly rebuild.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Mats Zuccarello to the Dallas Stars for Valeri Nichushkin and Julius Honka. Jeff Gorton wants to get younger with more speed and skill. The Rangers acquire players with more upside than Zuccarello. Same premise as the Mika Zibanejad trade. Maybe the Rangers and Stars can expand the trade to include Kevin Klein who would give the Stars an experienced right handed shooting D. The Rangers sign Nichushkin to a 2 year bridge deal. The Rangers gain a forward with more upside than any Rangers forward. They acquire the elusive right handed shooting D which has seemed to be a target of their's for a while. The Rangers were linked to Tyson Barrie and Sami Vatanen before they became NHL regulars. The Rangers finally fill that need without needing to spend a fortune on an older D. Zibanejad gives the Rangers a big young right handed shooting center which is something they didn't have on the team or in the system. Nichushkin and Honka just continue that philosophy. Acquire high end impact players in trades by giving up some really good players signing to good contracts. Add those young players to the Rangers young players. In the meantime,keep your picks and add more young players. Add a pick in every trade. Jeff Gorton Rebuild 1.01.

That was my proposal :D

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

I don't think this would happen.

If it did...that would be really nice.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Zucc for Honka/Nichuskin would be an amazing deal for the Rangers. Would it be greedy to add Klein and get an additional pick back, or does that make it a fair deal? Nichuskin would move into the top nine, and the Rangers could still move Nash for a RHDman.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Stars only have ~$4.5M in cap space right now. Just enough to fit one of Zucc or Klein.

If we're sending both of them, Stars need to send salary back.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I still believe Shattenkirk is the target.

Zucc plus going the other way and if it goes down it goes down before this week ends.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Interesting tweet from the Stars beat reporter. Note that Honka's name appears nowhere on the list - my guess is because he (and by extension the Stars) doesn't think Honka will be ready to contribute this year.

So there's your rationale for a deal:

Nichushkin STILL isn't signed and Honka won't be ready - also, Nichushkin himself is still developing (only 29 points last year). Meanwhile, Zucc is a prime top-6 winger on a sweetheart deal and the Stars want to compete this year. If they up their bid, they can also have Klein to help out on the right side (important given the desire to compete right now).

Makes total sense for a retooling/rebuilding/whatever Rangers team that already has a bunch of guys (Buchnevich, Vesey, Skjei, McIlrath) who may need the season to grow into their roles. Lop a year off the Girardi & Staal deals serving as placeholders as the kids Skjei, McIlrath (if not moved in another deal), Graves and Honka all go through growing pains in the NHL/or in HFD... See if you can't move Staal at the deadline to a contender... Same with Nash once he's built back up his value... Options with Girardi get easier in the offseason (hopefully after he's had a much better season) when he loses his full NTC and his real money salary is only $4MM per year, providing a free $1.5MM in cap hit to a cap floor team...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The rangers aren't trading zucc or Nash for a dman that isn't ready to play at a high level in the NHL. This team is not in rebuild mode. They wanted to get younger but the core is still intact.

Won't see any type of rebuild while hank is in top form and they're a playoff team. This honka stuff happens in the vacuum that is HF Boards and no where else.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Zucc plus going the other way and if it goes down it goes down before this week ends.

Ugh practically giving away our arguably most valuable asset for a guy could walk in 12 months time or get overly expensive.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If the Rangers were to take back Hemsky, then I'd have to believe Nash would then have to be moved out in another deal.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

trading Zuc for one year of Shattenkirk would be horrendous asset management. If he wants to be play here as badly as it sounds, sign him next summer.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Corey Pronman ranked the Rangers at #28 in the organization rankings. The Rangers lack top players outside of Buchnevich. The overall depth is not bad. It could be worse. They moved up one spot from last season. Progress.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
trading Zuc for one year of Shattenkirk would be horrendous asset management. If he wants to be play here as badly as it sounds, sign him next summer.

I would think that any trade for Shattenkirk is made with the understanding that he signs an extension.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If the Rangers were to take back Hemsky, then I'd have to believe Nash would then have to be moved out in another deal.

If it's Zucca/Klein for Nich/Honka/Hemsky that works numbers wise for both teams ... i think.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The rangers aren't trading zucc or Nash for a dman that isn't ready to play at a high level in the NHL. This team is not in rebuild mode. They wanted to get younger but the core is still intact.

Won't see any type of rebuild while hank is in top form and they're a playoff team. This honka stuff happens in the vacuum that is HF Boards and no where else.

It wouldn't just be Honka. You'd be getting a potential high-end forward in Nichuskin who could replace Zucc in the lineup right away. Not quite the Brassard deal, but a helluva haul for Zucc. Depending upon the full terms of the deal (such as taking back Hemsky for salary purposes), Nash could still be moved to bring back Shattenkirk. Of course, Staal and Girardi are still here, so that would suck.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Last year Boyle as atrocious. No doubt about it. The year before that he was quite decent.

Yes, but he was not professional after all these years in my opinion, and let his own frustration and poor performances in the end of this year since he called out L. Brooks. And you can`t do that after so many years in the NHL - you just ruin your own career reputation, and that is just sad for him. He was a good player earlier in his career, and I hope others will remember him for that and not the end of season drama.
And I was happy for him, because he struggled with concussion as well in the past, and that is why it was better for him to retire.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Best thing Boyle did during his Ranger days was call out Larry Brooks and that other guy (Brett something).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad