Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If we kept stralman instead of getting Boyle we'd be in such a good spot rn.... Just saying

True, but Stralman wasn't Stralman when his contract was up. Stralman had just completed a 13 point season, and hadn't eclipsed 20 points in four seasons.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
How are Flyers fans on HFBoards? I haven't paid too much attention. They seem to be fairly mild and not butt hurt with us. I think they're more focused on the Penguins. The amount of NJD salt and John Tavares showed up to pitch to Vesey but that little ****er didn't sign with us how dare he make John Tavares meet him and talk to him and not even sign with us salt has been pretty unreal in the past week.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
reading these boards these days it feels like the exchange rate of 1st line wingers to top4 defensemen is 1:3

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Less than a month away until the first preseason game :handclap:

I think I'm more excited for this season than last season, so many youngins to cheer for.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
How are Flyers fans on HFBoards? I haven't paid too much attention. They seem to be fairly mild and not butt hurt with us. I think they're more focused on the Penguins. The amount of NJD salt and John Tavares showed up to pitch to Vesey but that little ****er didn't sign with us how dare he make John Tavares meet him and talk to him and not even sign with us salt has been pretty unreal in the past week.

The salt from NYi and NJD boards is amazing. I get a kick out of seeing page after page dedicated to bashing the Rangers while you pretty much never hear about them on this board.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The salt from NYi and NJD boards is amazing. I get a kick out of seeing page after page dedicated to bashing the Rangers while you pretty much never hear about them on this board.

A sizable amount of their fanbases hate the Rangers more than they like their own team. Kind of sad.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Being the major contingency of Flyer fans are Neanderthal, most can't type let alone formulate a realistic option of their team. :naughty:

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Both Flyers and Pens fans in the Vesey thread were pretty good. Devils, Isles and Sabres fans on the other hand ... wow never seen so much salt.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
True, but Stralman wasn't Stralman when his contract was up. Stralman had just completed a 13 point season, and hadn't eclipsed 20 points in four seasons.

Stralman had great possession stats as a Ranger.

We didn't use Stralman on the power play much (we had to play Dan G, naturally), which held down his scoring.

Advanced stats people knew what we were losing.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hey! Math fail!

Shattenkirk turns 29 in the 2017-18 season, which is the first year of his contract. Also, it's more like 4 months, since his birthday is the end of January.

Yandle: September 9, 1986
Shattenkirk: January 29, 1989

Difference in age: 28 months, 20 days. 2.4 years.

Yes, but Shattenkirk's new contract will start in 2017, while Yandle's started this year.

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
Does anyone know if girardi has a NMC after this season? I have read conflicting reports. I have seen lots of posters propose Nash for shatty but if girardi has the nmc you have to buy him out or hope he waives, since you'd be protecting mcd, staal and g. I have faith that gorts is well aware of this (he's not that dumbass in Calgary signing ROR to an offer sheet that needed waivers), but it limits the teams options for sure. I think that the top 7 we have now (which includes skjei) is what we start the year with and they'll see how it goes from there.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Does anyone know if girardi has a NMC after this season? I have read conflicting reports. I have seen lots of posters propose Nash for shatty but if girardi has the nmc you have to buy him out or hope he waives, since you'd be protecting mcd, staal and g. I have faith that gorts is well aware of this (he's not that dumbass in Calgary signing ROR to an offer sheet that needed waivers), but it limits the teams options for sure. I think that the top 7 we have now (which includes skjei) is what we start the year with and they'll see how it goes from there.

He has a NMC in the sense that he can't be sent down throughout the contract but after this season the NMC turns into a limited NTC in regards to trades.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

General Fanager, and probably other sites, list him as having an NMC through his entire contract, and also having an NTC for the final 3 years. So it seems as though he will have to be protected, unless he waives or we find some other way to get rid of him before then.

The injuries are catching up to him. It could be that he ends up on permanent LTIR or he retires. If he knows he's done and is just going to sit on LTIR to collect his paycheck, I don't see why he wouldn't waive to help out the team.

There's a lot of time left until the expansion draft. I'm confident that Gorton will find a solution.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
A NTC can be sent down.

Supposedly he has both an NMC and an NTC at the same time. The NMC keeps him from being sent down or exposed in the expansion draft, but the NTC overrides the NMC in regards to trades. I can't imagine why the Rangers would have given him an NMC for the full contract. Without the expansion draft, it wouldn't have mattered. At the time, they probably didn't care. But now it is a problem.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The terminology is stupidly confusing. The gist of it is this:

Currently he has full control over trades and other movement (waivers, demotion, exposure to an expansion draft, basically anything OTHER than a trade). Which means that The only roster move that the team can make regarding G without his permission is to buy him out. (Which they now can't do either because the buyout window has closed.)

Starting next season, he has limited control over trades (can submit a list of half the league to which he may not be traded without his permission), but retains FULL control over all OTHER movement. At that point, the team's options will increase to allow for either a buyout or to trade him to one of the 15 teams not on his list (without his permission).

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Supposedly he has both an NMC and an NTC at the same time. The NMC keeps him from being sent down or exposed in the expansion draft, but the NTC overrides the NMC in regards to trades. I can't imagine why the Rangers would have given him an NMC for the full contract. Without the expansion draft, it wouldn't have mattered. At the time, they probably didn't care. But now it is a problem.

I guess they figured it didn't matter and that sending him down, especially considering they only save 950K or whatever, would never be an option so just to give it to him. I don't think they ever thought of the expansion draft issue to be honest.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers need to get this player

Heika: It's so hard to guess on this. Jim Nill made a hard push for Cam Talbot last summer and couldn't make it work. I heard the Rangers only wanted to talk about Julius Honka and no other player.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...young-players-rise-affect-stars-goalie-search

Julius Honka is smaller and skilled, so he can probably be compared more to John Klingberg. He is dynamic, but he will also take risks. One of the things people like about him is that even though he is a skilled defenseman, he has a bit of a temper or edge. He will get mad and battle, so it will be fun to watch how that plays at the NHL level.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...rts-young-stars-lindell-honka-dickinson-shore

Which brings us, finally, to Julius Honka, the 20-year-old the Stars drafted with the 14th overall pick in 2014. It may take an injury or trade for Honka to get the call next season, but after piling up 44 points (11G, 33A) in 73 games for AHL Texas last season, the Stars have themselves a serious puck-moving threat waiting in the wings.

He’s been compared to Anaheim’s Sami Vatanen.

“Outstanding puck-handling, mobile defenseman,†said TSN’s Bob McKenzie when Honka was drafted. “Loves to shoot the puck, loves to walk the blue line, and he’s a guy that skates pucks out of trouble. Not a big guy (5’11, 185)… some scouts wondered how his game will translate to the next level at that size. But this Finnish player has tremendous wheels, one of the best skaters in the draft.â€

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/08/17/looking-to-make-the-leap-julius-honka/

Who does Jim Nill want? The Rangers have a million forwards.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

That does not make any sense.

A no-move clause prevents a player from being traded or moved to the AHL
A no-trade clause prevents a player from being traded and can be limited, unlike a no-move clause

Everything that is in a no-trade clause, is also in a no-move clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad