Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Shattenkirk will be 28 when his new contract starts next year. Yandle is 29 now. All the people who did not want to sign Yandle because of his age should take a long hard look at the contract Shattenkirk is expecting

Shattenkirk is a better all around defender, plays a more important position, and is 2 years younger during the season than Yandle, who will be 30 next month.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'd argue that Shattenkirk is better defensively but thats just me :dunno:

Not really the point. Actually it just proves my point even more since offensive D-men tend to last longer because the game they play puts less stress on their body

Shattenkirk is a better all around defender, plays a more important position, and is 2 years younger during the season than Yandle, who will be 30 next month.

Shattenkirk turns 30, three months into his contract. It's basically a 1-year difference in age.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
this

From what Jay has said so far, the idea is to only finalize a trade for Shattenkirk if he agrees to an extension. There won't be a team able to offer a 7/$49 million contract.

this. why let a team like boston let it get to FA and give them leverage to drive the price up. get him now and let him play out the year on his 4.25 mill and sign him to 6-6 6.5-6 year deal. Its great that he wants to come here and i think we can save some cap hit by getting him and locking him up now. Its just bad business to let it get to a bidding war when he helps the team now and its another year getting acclimate to the system. lets be honest NYR are not winning the cup next year. But 2-3 down the road they very well could. this is the best course of action. he is a better defender they yandle i don't care what plus/minus says. I also admit i believe yandle is probably a little better offensively.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
it doesn't matter how you want to word it

fact is shatty is 27 right now yandle is 29. when the season starts yandle will be 30.shatty doesn't turn 28 until the start of next year. yandle is 2.5 years older and left handed and worse defensively. a little better offensively.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
To be honest, I'd pay out the nose for Parayko is we're going after a Blues defenseman. Kid is an absolute stud, going off the eye test and stats.

why would the blues do that? isn't he the reason they are moving shattenkirk?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i don't care what larry brooks says. the only reason he said they can't afford shatty was cause of money tied up in guys like nash girardi and staal. If one of them moves it's a different story. I don't think they mind having a trade off in salary.

imo the rangers have zero concern about giving him that money this year or for the next couple years...the concern is paying him that $$ for up to 9 years (if you trade for him and then give him max 8 years).

given the situation they find themselves in with girardi and staal, they would be foolish if they weren't at least hesitant to dish out a monster contract to a dman that will spent most of the deal on the other side of 30.

it would also just be a negotiation ploy but i understand the hesitation

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The thing is, we probably are a Kevin Shattenkirk away from being a contender next season.

I wouldn't go that far, but if the Rangers gave McDonagh a quality partner, and then added Shattenkirk to play next to Skjei, and making Girardi disappear, I'd really like their chances going into next year.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I think we're closer to contending than being a bubble team.

Ppl on the main boards have us picking bottom ten lmao

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I've been saying this for weeks. Go get a young RD who can play now via trade. Sign Shattenkirk in UFA.

McDonagh-Trade
Skjei-Shattenkirk
Graves-McIlrath

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't even know if I'd want Shattenkirk as a UFA. It'd depend on what type of contract he wants, but I wouldn't mind Shattenkirk as a one year rental. We'd be able to once again "go for it" if we traded Nash+Klein/McIlrath for Shattenkirk.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I've been saying this for weeks. Go get a young RD who can play now via trade. Sign Shattenkirk in UFA.

McDonagh-Trade
Skjei-Shattenkirk
Graves-McIlrath

Yeah, but 95% of the board doesn't realize what we'd have to trade to get a d-man capable of playing with McDonagh.

Or they realize it, and they don't want to hear it. er... read it :)

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
No

McDonagh-Trade
Skjei-Shattenkirk
Graves-McIlrath

Im with you but this just isn't realistic. if your signing shatty as a UFa instead of trading for him aand signing him be prepared to pay 7 mill a year as opposed to 6.25 6.5. Boston NJ and Isles will likely drive up the price to stick the screws to NYR. like it or not you can't just waive your magic wand and make girardi and staal disappear. hopefully this year if a trade for shatty is made they both bounce back because that will let klein slide down with staal and skjei with Girardi. then next off season maybe, just maybe one of them could be moved having bounced back and having less years on their current deals. the rangers are not going to carry 11 million in dead cap to ice that defense you have above. shatty gives the rangers a weapon and a position of need. Even if you can add him for free right this second we wouldn't have the cap. someone would have to go anyway. It mind as well be for an asset that helps us win now and the next 4 years at least. he will be the top UFA d-man on the market. if you go the wait and see route and don't think your getting in a bidding war next off season you have another thing coming. and with this trade that's what im trying to avoid. (gorton too probably) then next year after shatty is already established here with mcd, you try to move girardi and probably klein to upgrade the second pair. hopefully next year's d looks like this

Mcd-shatty
staal- trade UFA RFA ( hopefully someone like pesce or stone)
skjei- McIlrath
Holden/graves

girardi moved with 3 years left after a rebound season for a low draft pick to clear cap..

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Klein has four more goals and four more assists than Shattenkirk at even strength over the last three years. Why would we trade Klein+ for him when Klein is signed an extra year and WAY cheaper?

Shattenkirk is obviously better on the PP as he's one of the best but we don't actually know if Klein is good on it or not since he's basically never played it in his career for some reason which is really odd for a guy who has such great even strength point production.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah, I have no problem exploring every avenue for not having to protect Staal and Girardi in the expansion draft. It might be as simple as saying "you're going to be on the team next year, do you want Klein to be too?"

gonna hold you to that the next time I post a complicated deal scenario that overpays enough to have Buf take Staal:amazed:

Its probably going to be Nash and Mcl for Shattenkirk.
we are NOT moving McIlrath. Loss of cost controlled ready, available RD
package deal w/other +s, sure.
but not McIl

Fowler is Tom Poti 2.0. Wouldn't take him for Nash unless they added a #1.
concur. not even a poor man's Kaberle (in his prime)

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/the-new-york-rangers-have-quietly-changed-their-team-identity/

Jeffy needs to do the same with Zuccarello. Turn him into another young player with more upside than Zuccarello just like with Brassard for Zibanejad.

concur

Good catch.

boobop cryptically posted something about NYR and SJ talking about a deal. San Jose certainly has some nice young prospects in the pipeline. Meier (though I'm not high on him personally), Goldobin, Bergman, Roy, etc.

Nash and Thornton are good friends. Nash would waive to go to SJ. SJ wants to add a piece or two to give them another shot at the Cup before Marleau and Thornton retire.

Is Boobop verified?

SJ is one logical choice IF we can solve the balance of salary for cap purposes issue.
go to it, guys!

The problem with trying to move Nash for Trouba is his NTC.

If we're gunning for Trouba, it's not going to be Nash moving. It'll be Zucc, I think.

Unless Nash decides to waive his NTC entirely, that is.

Sorry, they ONLY want McDonagh, which we should do as we can also command swap of 3 and 4 into 2 and 3

Here's the trade that makes us better short term and long term while being realistic

Zucc and Skjei for Trouba and a solid prospect or 2nd round pick.

We have plenty on the left side and Ryan Graves will be pushing for a spot sooner than later.

We've got plenty of skilled wingers that need to play.

What we don't have? Prospects in the system and a top righty D man to grow with this core.

I like Skjei and Zucc as much as the next guy but trouba and a higher end pick make us better now and down the road. Good deal for both teams

NO on moving Skjei
ELC exempt
long term

I wouldn't trade Skjei.
concur

Nobody understands the concept that WPG has no need for more wingers. No matter how many times it's been said here and by their fans.

I would love to be wrong on this one but I don't see us as trading partners with them.

they'll do McDonagh IMO and do pick upgrade as well

Swap skjei for graves

No.
graves is too good to just throw away
ELC etc
MOVE VETS
you know better....

Jeff Gorton with an alias wouldn't last one week at this place.

Revel, BBKers is definitely vetted and very credible. He shouldn't have to explain himself ever, that will direct attention on him and subsequently his sources.

Gorton can
I'd be shocked if NYR GM office does not have an operative part time on this at least monitoring posts for 1 brilliant idea.

as to BBKers, concur fully

Honka and Niemi for Nash and McIlrath?

Too much?

Disclaimer: the ass that I pulled this out from is not vetted

I see Nash at half could be an upgrade on expiring Hemsky
the trick here is to get them to admit that they need both immediate and long term investment in net

Nash half, Raanta, Halverson and Bernhardt maybe throw in a pick
for
Gurianov and Honka
period

Does he have a son named Bern?
I take that as a compliment.

Zuccarello makes the most sense in terms of returning assets. Trade Nash at the deadline for a maximized return. Find a young RD in return for Zuccarello ala the Zibanejad trade.

I still think SJ, ANA and Edmonton are still open for business. I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota were trying to make deals as well. Dumba has come up in the past. Jeremy Roy, Mirco Mueller from SJ. Theodore, Manson, Vatanen from Anaheim.

Would Detroit trade Tatar or Mantha + for Zuccarello? Try and snag one of their young defensemen. Ouellete, Sproul, I know there are others but am too lazy to look them up.

There are opportunities for Gorton to continue this trend of getting younger.

where have we heard that before?:laugh::laugh::amazed::amazed::D:naughty:

only way to get ahead, esp give squandering of picks recently, is to flip older for younger.

Shattenkirk will be 28 when his new contract starts next year. Yandle is 29 now. All the people who did not want to sign Yandle because of his age should take a long hard look at the contract Shattenkirk is expecting

the correct number that splits the middle is 4 years, 5.75
enough to afford him for 2nd half of his prime, but enough for one more big contract after

Last edited by a moderator:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Shattenkirk turns 30, three months into his contract. It's basically a 1-year difference in age.

Hey! Math fail!

Shattenkirk turns 29 in the 2017-18 season, which is the first year of his contract. Also, it's more like 4 months, since his birthday is the end of January.

Yandle: September 9, 1986
Shattenkirk: January 29, 1989

Difference in age: 28 months, 20 days. 2.4 years.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Klein has four more goals and four more assists than Shattenkirk at even strength over the last three years. Why would we trade Klein+ for him when Klein is signed an extra year and WAY cheaper?

Shattenkirk is obviously better on the PP as he's one of the best but we don't actually know if Klein is good on it or not since he's basically never played it in his career for some reason which is really odd for a guy who has such great even strength point production.

This is a fair point, I think, except that Shattenkirk is 4 years younger than Klein.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Shattenkirk is a much better defensive player than Yandle. I love Yandle but his value is at one end of the ice. Shattenkirk is a much more rounded player.

And Zibanajad is a much better defensive player than Brassard. I saw a few quotes trashing his defense. I'd suggest you look at some more tape. He's quite good defensively and I think he could be even better in the right environment. Brassard and Zucc were a ****show defensively last year.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Shattenkirk is a much better defensive player than Yandle. I love Yandle but his value is at one end of the ice. Shattenkirk is a much more rounded player.

And Zibanajad is a much better defensive player than Brassard. I saw a few quotes trashing his defense. I'd suggest you look at some more tape. He's quite good defensively and I think he could be even better in the right environment. Brassard and Zucc were a ****show defensively last year.

Wait...I don't think I'm the person you wanted to quote here :laugh:

I wasn't talking about Yandle/Shattenkirk/ZBad/Brassard at all.

That being said, I do agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad