Official Trade Speculation/Proposal Thread III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
How so?

Cowen is in the NHL and has quite a bit of upside. He's cost controlled and he brings much needed size to our smurf blue line. I'd be all over him if he Ottawa was willing to trade him in any deal concerning Vanek and AMac.

Hopefully with the addition of Reinhart he'll be just as good if not better than Cowen (probably better). With a future top-4 of:

Reinhart-Pulock
deHaan-Hamonic

I'd look to only bring in guys that would be on short term contracts and not have a heavy commitment. Unless it's someone that's a lot better than Cowen, like Edler or Yandle.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
How so?

Cowen is in the NHL and has quite a bit of upside. He's cost controlled and he brings much needed size to our smurf blue line. I'd be all over him if he Ottawa was willing to trade him in any deal concerning Vanek and AMac.

He is pretty bad defensively. For Vanek & AMAC, no thanks. UFA in three more years plus I'm pretty sure he was the bozo who said we have the ugliest jerseys in the NHL during the entry draft, strike three.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Looks like a lot of us wasted a lot of our time and work days this week . . .

:shakehead

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Glad Snow didn't make a panic move if the value wasn't there. Teams will be much more desperate by the time March rolls around.

Just have to hope Vanek and A-Mac stay healthy until then.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Glad Snow didn't make a panic move if the value wasn't there. Teams will be much more desperate by the time March rolls around.

Yup. Nobody wants to try and trade a premium for Vanek before the Olympics for the same reason we wanted to have him gone by the Olympics.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

If there is one thing Snow knows how to do, it's stretch things out. It's as if he enjoys messing with the fans. He was the star of the 2009 NHL Draft with waiting until the last moment to select JT and making bold moves to select CdH - that move is looking pretty good right now. He doesn't get the opportunity to get the spotlight on him often, but he's holding the top trade chips this year. In this circumstance, his famed poker face is a great thing and should work to our benefit.

I would be surprised if Vanek and AMac are dealt before the 11th hour. It's his way.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Good to see Snow held onto Vanek. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt I guess. This could KILL us.

As for AMAC, PAY HIM! Don't let another rookie take his spot!!!

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If there is one thing Snow knows how to do, it's stretch things out. It's as if he enjoys messing with the fans. He was the star of the 2009 NHL Draft with waiting until the last moment to select JT and making bold moves to select CdH - that move is looking pretty good right now. He doesn't get the opportunity to get the spotlight on him often, but he's holding the top trade chips this year. In this circumstance, his famed poker face is a great thing and should work to our benefit.

I would be surprised if Vanek and AMac are dealt before the 11th hour. It's his way.

Snow always holds the cards close to his vest, even when he doesn't have to(never understood being so secretive about Tavares. If we had the 2nd pick and he was afraid of someone jumping over him, sure... but with the 1st overall? Never understood it).

That said, he has no choice but to maximize value for Vanek. This deal could end up defining his reign here. I think it's already been established that the value he gets back probably won't match what he originally gave up, so he has to make sure he gets at least one young player that can eventually make us forget about that lost value. Hopefully one of the uber-prospects we've been discussing here goes from the 'untouchable' list to the 'EFF it... let's win a Cup.. you can have him' list in the next 26 days.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

Although true, one would have to also assume the Islanders are not getting the offers they expected. Seems like most reports are teams aren't offering adiquit returns. Furthermore, appears that most teams have their young players/prospects as "off limits."

One had to wonder if Snow really will be able to get a good value for Vanek.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Although true, one would have to also assume the Islanders are not getting the offers they expected. Seems like most reports are teams aren't offering adiquit returns. Furthermore, appears that most teams have their young players/prospects as "off limits."

One had to wonder if Snow really will be able to get a good value for Vanek.

I'm not too worried about it. Desperation generally doesn't set in until right before the deadline. Teams like Anaheim and LA could go from 'he'd be nice' to 'we need him' and offer up something they previously had no intention of offering. Especially if there are multiple teams in the bidding, which there appears to be.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm not too worried about it. Desperation generally doesn't set in until right before the deadline. Teams like Anaheim and LA could go from 'he'd be nice' to 'we need him' and offer up something they previously had no intention of offering. Especially if there are multiple teams in the bidding, which there appears to be.

It doesn't get good until TDL day anyway. TSN is gonna love that Snow will wait until the final hour to make a decision so they have something to talk about on their TDL Special.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Now we have to just pray that Vanek stays healthy for another month.
He won't be playing that much. Austria should be eliminated pretty early. It isn't like they are one of the top squads that will advance all the way though to the medal round semi-finals. He can one back to Long Island early and enjoy the surroundings before moving on in March.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Snow always holds the cards close to his vest, even when he doesn't have to(never understood being so secretive about Tavares. If we had the 2nd pick and he was afraid of someone jumping over him, sure... but with the 1st overall? Never understood it).That said, he has no choice but to maximize value for Vanek. This deal could end up defining his reign here. I think it's already been established that the value he gets back probably won't match what he originally gave up, so he has to make sure he gets at least one young player that can eventually make us forget about that lost value. Hopefully one of the uber-prospects we've been discussing here goes from the 'untouchable' list to the 'EFF it... let's win a Cup.. you can have him' list in the next 26 days.

I actually liked that he did that. Why give the teams picking right behind you any assistance lining up their draft board, or lining up trades? Not a big deal, but it's something.

nc1972

Jun 3, 2006
It is also possible that playoff bound teams lose a star player in the Olympics thus increasing TV value. :D

MikeT98213

Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
It's also possible Vanek gets hurt making the trade a total disaster. Desperation also works both ways. While playoff teams may be desperate to acquire key pieces for their runs, they also know that Snow will be desperate to move these players and recover some type of assets.

It's a matter of who blinks first and I believe that the market for Vanek is fairly limited and shrewd GMs will not overpay for a rental particularly knowing that Snow simply cannot allow him to walk away at the end of the year and get nothing for him.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
AMac will be sitting at home for the Olympics.... every team with cup aspirations will have at least one defenseman playing. One of those guys are bound to get hurt, that's when teams will come calling.

I'm going to predict that AMac brings back more than just a first rounder.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I'm glad we didn't trade Vanek or AMac prior to the Olympics, offers will only get better as the trade deadline approaches plus any offer received now prior to the Olympics will still be there at the deadline.

Now about the interest in AMac from Boston. I would love to send AMac to Boston for Subban, who is obviously a highly touted goalie prospect that would be a great young goalie for the future for us.

Boston would obviously value Subban a heck of a lot, to the point I'd be willing to send some sort of sweeteners to make a AMac for Subban trade happen.Maybe send the Blackhawks 4th rounder & a prospect like Ness to Boston. I haven't a clue what it would take but a deal based around AMac, Ness & 4th rounder for Suban would make me very happy.

Like I said, im not sure on the value in a deal there so maybe AMac for Subban straight up is fine, maybe I'm under cooking Subbans value and it would take more from our side, the point is I'd love the Isles to make a deal happen.

Then we could look to go pay $6m per for 5 years to someone like Miller with Subban being groomed to take over from him long term for the Islanders.

It would also remove the need to push for a goalie from other teams in Vanek trade talks so instead of asking for Jones you could add Pearson and Vey. Or with the Ducks instead of Anderson or Gibson we'd ask for Etem, Noesen, Rakell, Silfverberg etc. Could be more beneficial that way to receive more assets.

Vanek for Silfverberg, Noesen & a 1st
AMac, Ness & 4th (Chicago pick) for Malcolm Subban

Lines after trade deadline:

Nelson - Tavares - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Bailey
Lee - Strome - Silfverberg
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

With Noesen and Subban added to our prospect pool. The only reason Noesen might be available in a Vanek deal is due to his season ending knee ligament injury, maybe the Ducks look to get some value back using the assets they picked up in the Ryan to Ottawa deal to bring in Vanek for a big cup run. So the Isles might be able to buy low on Silfverberg and Noesen at the deadline.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
To get a guy like Subban, it's going to cost more than AMac and a C level prospect like ANess. Maybe add pieces we get from a Vanek trade like Vey/Pearson.... and even then I don't think Boston bites with AMac being a UFA rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad